Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I am a long time Harley rider that just bought my first Ducati. I purchased the Monster 800 Dark and noticed that the owners manual says that I should only use Shell oil. I now find that the recommended oil is not available in the US. What oil do you run in your Monsters?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
There are lot's of opinions on this but I think most will agree that the brand of oil is relatively unimportant. Most use a 15-50 or a 20-50. Synthetic is popular but not critical. The Shell recommendation is because of sponsership deals & it changes according to who's the official sponsor at the time.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
15W-50 Motul or Mobil 1. AGIP is available at my dealer, but it's too dang expensive ($16 per liter)!

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
Ducman,

First off, Welcome to the boards!!!!

When it comes to Oil you will find that opinions vary but follow a common theme.

Mobil-1, Agip, Motul.

Coming from a H-D background I COMPLETELY understand the concern.

There is no equivalent to "Harley oil" for Duc's.

Harley was smart, put their label on the lowest bidder that met their specs and then specified the stuff.

Someday the gang in Bologna will get smart and do the same.

I run Mobil-1 15-50 and have yet to have any sort of issue.

Unlike the H-D the engine lube also does duty in the gear box on a Duc so Dino oil wont last as long.

In that vein, the synthetics make more sense.

I just don't understand why Shell Oil dosn't sell their full line here in the states where we, more so than any other people on this planet, consider our cars and bikes family and represent the largest market.

Oh well... Mobil-1 at Wally world runs about 5 bucks a qt.

Order some compression washers, buy a case and run all year without worry.

All the best!
S-28

1 - 12 of 12 Posts