Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting set for my DIY 600 mile oil change. I plan on using Mobil 1 10W-40 + a K&N filter. The dealer, while referencing OEM-branded, says that the 1200 uses the "usual Monster filter". The K&N version appears to be the KN153. Can anyone independently confirm this? TIA.

BTW, after 20 years of Harleys, I am looking forward to one simple oil change. While easy enough to do, the H-D required three separate changes: crankcase, primary, and transmission.

·
Read Only
28 Posts
Let us know how they handle that, and if they give you grief like warrantee issues etc....curious. I just turned 600 miles and am in the same boat...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let us know how they handle that, and if they give you grief like warrantee issues etc....curious. I just turned 600 miles and am in the same boat...
I just called them.

Normally: 1.5 hours labor = $260 for parts/labor
w/o oil change: 1.0 hour labor = $98 for labor (no parts)

DIY oil change is about $55 in parts and I have some fun doing it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Consider Amsoil Syn 10W40. It's an awesome product with a great history.
I recall reading somewhere on this forum I think that it may not be a good idea to use synthetic when the bike is still being broken in. The reason as I recall was that the synthetic prevents the breaking in of the engine and transmission. I've been using Amsoil 20W50 synthetic on my old air cooled Monster. Am now wondering whether the first few oil changes on the new bike should be with regular non-synthetic oil. Any opinions?

·
Registered
69 Posts
How hard is it to do the oil change? I'm at 500 miles, and wanted to take a 500 mile trip next Tuesday, but can't make it to the Ducati dealer (which is 2.5 hours away) beforehand.

Oil filter is quite obvious, but where is the drain plug? Also, the 600 mile service includes "Clean the engine oil mesh filter assembly". Without a service manual, I'm not sure how to do that.

I guess it would be best to take the cage, and let the dealer do the service. ;-(

·
Read Only
28 Posts
Looks like there is no way to reset the oil service indicator light like there was on the old monsters. That can get annoying having that light on all the time...

I wonder if there is a way to reset it, or if dealers will do it for free?

·
Registered
782 Posts
I recall reading somewhere on this forum I think that it may not be a good idea to use synthetic when the bike is still being broken in. The reason as I recall was that the synthetic prevents the breaking in of the engine and transmission. I've been using Amsoil 20W50 synthetic on my old air cooled Monster. Am now wondering whether the first few oil changes on the new bike should be with regular non-synthetic oil. Any opinions?
Comes with full synth in it. Also has had a full throttle dyno run to redline done on it before it was crated in Italy. :eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
The manual will be the best guideline to follow regarding oil type to use.
Peace

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Looks like there is no way to reset the oil service indicator light like there was on the old monsters. That can get annoying having that light on all the time...

I wonder if there is a way to reset it, or if dealers will do it for free?
yeah, they'll do it for free once you pay them to service the bike, lol.

mine won't change it if i do the work. he said it was a legal issue.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That sucks. Getting ready to do the oil change myself as well. Will do the k&n filter. Not sure just yet of the oil. I see lots of opinions on the website. But my dealer, also about 2 hours away, is going to do the ecu updates and clear my wrench etc, when I bring her down there to Dyno with new exhaust. He has an awesome reputation for writing tunes. So the tune is included. Can't wait!

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Did the first oil change myself at 600 miles with K£N 153 and Mobil 1 4T.
The Monster now has 1700 miles and I'm waiting for the dealer to pick it up to do whatever else needed to be done at the 600 mile mark.

Also, my tach changed on its own at 600 miles and then again at 1500 miles.

·
Registered
506 Posts
When I left the dealer I got 4 filters and 4 crush washers. The 600 oil change was a pain since I pulled the pre-filter and had to wait for the sealant to dry for a bit. It was easy to do.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts