Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 600dark and tried to change the oil myself for the first time. I have changed the oil in my car countless times and am aware of the intracacies involved with screwing and unscrewing drain plugs, filters, and oil screens. I was able to drain the oil and clean the oil screen filter, yet the darn filter will NOT come off! I tried using my hands first of course, and worked my way up to bending the heck out of two oil filter wrench handles. it will not budge. it started to crimp almost because it is on so tight. I bought it with 700 miles on it from a dealer in NH called Naults in Manchester. they are a bunch of clowns up there. I have already had to replace bolts and nuts from my gear shifter which fell off while riding. these Geniuses also put my plugs in withOUT gapping them. fouled beyond belief. that was the second time I had to PUSH my bike almost two miles home in downtown boston. THanks Naults! they might as well have a big top tent for their shop fuull of clowns. now I can not perform the routine maintenance of taking off my oil filter. Does anyone have any ideas besides the old screwdriver cave man tactic? Please brothers and sisters!!!!

G

·
I have a filter wrench that looks like a big set of channel locks. I think mine are snap on, but I am sure sears or a car parts place will have some. they grab really well.
I just checked sears, snap on and sk tools and all they had was the "strap kind". I'll check what brand mine is when I get off work and let you know

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
It is not uncommon to have a stuck oil filter.
Try channel locks with an old inner tube.
then screw driver through the filter.

In my case, nothing worked and I destroyed the filter housing in the process. I had to get a "socket" made ($100) to fit into the oil filter base plate holes. Came off with ease but it took me many, many hours of frustartion and much $pent on "oil filter" tools to come to my conclusion.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I have had to do the "big f'n screwdriver through the filter body" method on a car filter once.

Sounds as though your filter is already past using most filter wrenches since it's already buckling.

Hope you don't have to rip it off and get the $100 tool mentioned above.

I agree with you that the filter should NOT stick if the o-ring is lubed before installation and it's not overtorqued. There's no excuse.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Drive a large screwdriver through it and use it for leverage?
Did my first oil change today and that damn filter refused to budge with a strap. As a last resort I used the screwdriver and it worked great. That may be my first resort from now on.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The ducati oil filter wrench works really well. Mine cost about 7 bucks. You can then use your torque wrench to torque it to spec, I think about 12 lbs.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I use a hammer and a big screwdriver punch a hole all the way through it and turn.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
I agree-use the screwdriver technique.
Maybe spray some WD-40 on that mess and let it sit/penetrate to the rubber seal. It may make it easier to turn.
T.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
If you have broken 2 straps, the screw driver will just tear up the filter body. Before it try the screw driver use the inner tube and channel lock.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I agree-use the screwdriver technique.
Maybe spray some WD-40 on that mess and let it sit/penetrate to the rubber seal. It may make it easier to turn.
T.
The way that filter is recessed up in the sump, I don't believe there's any way to get WD-40 up to the threads. :-/

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts