Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More dumb questions. Can anybody tell I'm moving up from shelling out $60/hr for routine maint. to doing it myself?

Does anybody know what auto oil filter fits Ducatis? I'm not aware of any reason to spend more money on a motorcycle-specific filter, but Ducatis aren't really in the catalogues at my local Shucks Auto Supply.

Also: what size crush washers do you need for oil changes? I don't want to wait until I have them off to measure and make a run to the store.

Yours in mechanical ineptitude, but willing to learn:

Ryan Akiyama

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Genuine Ducati oil filters don't cost that much more than the cheap ones and you know they're going to work properly. Most dealers will toss in a pair of crush washers for free when you buy a filter from them.

I can't point you at a reference, but I've heard bad things about trying to use automotive filters on Ducati motors. Not worth saving a few dollars.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh... good to know... thank you, Scott.

I was operating under the assumption that a filter was a filter was a filter - sort of the rationale behind my refusal to purchase MC specific oil (although I do spend more on synth. after reading the MCN oil comp. article)

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Filters and washers are available from several places on the web. K&N filters are available as well. You'll probably get a response from those on this site that sell this sort of stuff. I'd stay away from car filters.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I agree with the advice to stay away from car filters. Ducati filters have been found to be among the best on the market, along with K&N and another brand I can never remember. Chris at ca-cycleworks I think sells that other brand that I can't remember. He's a sponsor here and a great guy to do business with - check his website to see if he still sells filters.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Ducati, K&N, and Perf-form all use synthetic media. None are considered "crap". :) Normally, you can reuse crush washer at least once. I don't know size of oil screen washer on 2001+ bikes, because no one has told me what they are and I haven't changed the oil on any yet.

:) Chris

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've heard some people who claim to know about these things say to stay away from K&N oil filters: that they are somehow "too good" and thus clog too easily. Anybody else hear of this or is it baseless conjecture?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Most good dealers will have a decent price on filters and the appropriate washers bacause they believe in good maintenance. Worthwhile going to the dealer for these parts, IMO.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
What do you guys typically pay for a ducati oil filter. I did my own oil change and it was just over 50 bucks in parts.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I pay about $10-$11 per filter for OEM and about .95 for crush washers. I used to use the Mobil V-Twin synth for about $7.50 per qt. Now I just use the Mobil 1 fully synth for cars for under $3 per qt. I change oil every 1500 miles.

·
Registered
125 Posts
what mark said exactly and mobile 1 is the way to go!
Didn't someone have a filter comparison breakdown posted here awhile back, i think it covered just about every filter out there and was a good info sheet.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I've been using golden spectro, costs about 12 bucks a liter and my S4 likes 3. Has anyone had or heard of any negative effects with using straight mobil 1?

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just shelled out $14 for a filter today and $.95 for the plug washer. They didn't have the oil screen washer in stock. No one knew what it was, they pulled the Ducati Tech up front and he just came out smiling . . . .

Any way, changing the oil more often than directed by the manual (6000 mi) is pretty much a given. But how often do most of you change your oil? Used to do it once a season but never put many miles on in a year when I was NH. But now that I'm cranking out a ton of miles in SC I'm kind of wondering.

·
Registered
189 Posts
xj dave,

I had to read the microfilm at the dealer to get the screen crush washer from my dealer. If you want i can look up the part number. My bike is an 01 M900.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I believe you can use the same size crush washer for both the drain plug and the screen bolt. At least I've done it that way once or twice. When you get the official washers, one is a little thicker than the other, but all that really matters is that it has the right inside diameter.

And I change oil about every 3000 miles, like the owner's manual suggests. Turns out to be about once a year.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
late model bikes take a larger crush washer. if you need a 17mm allen to access the screen, you need the large washer. i think the change was '00 or '01

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
So what is the size of the crush washer? I'm going to change my Duc's oil today and I'm lacking the crush washer. I'm hoping that I can go to the local hardware store(s) and get it from there. Anyone could help me? Otherwise I'd have to wait till next week (if I order them online) and can't ride on my day off (today and tomorrow). :(

·
Registered
297 Posts
a trick i learned from some HD mechanics is to sand your old crush washer with some fine grit sandpaper. ive never done this, but it will work so long as you get all the marks off and create a smooth, clean surface for everything to contact.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My dealership is always so confused over the crush washers and I always end up with the wrong size. I traced each washer to ensure I was getting the right sizes and last time I was in I jotted down the part number and just ordered several of each. No wonder people buy so much online.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts