Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read on and off about dudes putting oil coolers on their 620's that don't come with it stock. I got my 620 in june and did a couple long rides on it, one tour of about 2000mi with some hard riding in twisties, highways, etc. in addition to my riding in town and so on and next year I am planning to do one or two more long rides in addition to my street riding in town and out on local roads. Would getting an oil cooler be a smart idea? If I can pick one up "cheap" I would give it some consideration.

S

·
0 Posts
is it HOT where you live/ride? get stuck in traffic OFTEN? if so, then yep... oil cooler's a good idea. if not, i wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess Wisconsin isn't considered HOT. I never really get stuck in traffic for too long but I have noticed that on longer trips my temp can get up there on those long highway stretches. I like to stop every 2hr or so just to let it cool off and rest a little. I suppose an oil cooler wouldn't be a "need it now" item, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt if I saw a cheap one on Ebay or something.

·
Registered
287 Posts
It is hot where I ride, but I have an S4... But I also know that they make an oiler cooler add on for the S4 and I know that the new S4R comes with an oiler cooler... What about me adding an oiler cooler??? Although, I really don't believe I noticed any out of the ordinary temps this last summer...

M

·
0 Posts
Sean's Dad has a manual fan switch installed on his Foggy S4 so he can turn the fan on earlier. That seemed to help a lot. We are in Sacramento--so it gets in the 100's in the summer.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I've thought about adding a switch on my S4. The ECU lets it get up to 215 degF before it turns on those 2 wimpy fans, and it's barely adequate in 100 degF plus days in stop'n'go traffic.

I don't have a real accurate oil temp gauge, so I don't know how hot the oil really gets... ???

S

·
0 Posts
I never really get stuck in traffic for too long but I have noticed that on longer trips my temp can get up there on those long highway stretches.
Define "up there". I live in SoCal where it gets HOT and have seen oil temps of 285 for hours at a time. I'm thinking of a cooler also but the factory one is $500 or so. Plus the manual says the over-temp light comes on at 335, so I'm not that worried.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hot here can get up in the 90's for a few weeks in the summer. I guess I get a little concerned when my temp is reading above 250-260. This is my first motorcycle and I don't know how bad those higher temps are for the motor over the long haul. I am thinking in terms of long term health of the motor when I think of getting the oil cooler. I am planning on doing another 2000+mi tour this year(2004) and thought this mod could help ease some of the stress that a trip like that puts on a motor. You normally let your temp get up in the 300's before getting concerned?

S

·
0 Posts
You normally let your temp get up in the 300's before getting concerned?
I haven't ever had it get to 300 or above. The 280 temps were 80 MPH on the freeway when it was 100 or 105 degrees out and 15 percent humidity. It makes me a little worried, but I could use the dough to get better saftey gear or a track day which would make me safer/faster. I'm more worried about soccer moms on cell phones driving Excursions than overheating or stressing the motor. But peace of mind is what counts and if your worring about the oil temp instead of enjoying the road then by all means then that would be money well spent.

·
Registered
116 Posts
285 F is perfectly fine for synthetic oil. It's kinda iffy for fossil oil, though. For the $500 you'd have to blow on an oil cooler, that would buy a lot of synthetic. (Even more if you can find a cage synthetic that you're comfortable with.) Or you could just change regular oil more often during the summer.

Long story short, $500 is way too much to spend on a problem that isn't necessarily there.
Rene Carlos.

T

·
0 Posts
Can someone tell me why I can get a b&m or perma cool cooler for cars up to 450 hp for a $100 bucks and Ducatis cooler is near $500? I would think someone has to make an after market cooler, I mean, really its not rocket science, a radiator, two lines an a bracket.

·
Registered
426 Posts
It isn't rocket science but not everyone is up for the chore. A local hotrod plumbing supply had a sale on small Earls coolers for $35. It would still cost close to $70 for lines. The tricky part is that piece Ducati puts above the oil filter nipple that directs the oil out the fittings in the front I suspect you would have to buy that from the dealer and I have no idea what that would cost. You still need a bracket but you could make one.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
File this in the potentionaly misleading/inaccurate/irrelevent pile but..

When I had my XT350 Yam it would always lose power when it got hot. It was aircooled with no oil cooler. I vowed I would never buy another aircooled again.

My understanding is hot engine-> less power, I had my best rides when the temperature was around 15C or lower (and slightly damp). Above this hard use of the engine/stop start traffic would lead to reduced power as it got hotter. (Maybe it also heated the carbs/airbox which resulted in less air density going into the engine + increased friction, my guess)

My current bike has an oil cooler but even so I am worried about summers here (they are hot)

Bottom line, if you ride hard or in stop start traffic an oil cooler is a must have (in my personal opinion only)

Ducati performance catalogue states that attaching their oil cooler to a 620 results in 15% increase in heat dissipation

Whether you want to pay the cash is another matter.

Hope this helps

stu

·
Registered
294 Posts
Got an oil cooler off a 93 750SS make me an offer.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not sure if that will work on my 2003 620. I'll check into it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts