Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 620 dark that I bought new at the end of last season. While riding in the heat I noticed that the oil temp would often climb to 280+ in stop and go traffic. I often commute to work during the hottest days of the summer, and I'm not comfortable with stressing the motor or the oil at that temps that high. I am running a full synthetic oil during break in, I have been chaging the oil every 300 miles during break in. I will keep using synthetic for the life of the bike and I do regular oil changes every 3k miles.

I see that Ducati offers an oil cooler kit for my bike and I was wondering if anyone has fitted their bike with one, and what type of temp reduction they experienced with the cooler?

I'm not planning on modding the bike much, perhaps just pipes and an ECU air box kit, and I'm wondering if I'm just being over cautious when thinking about adding a cooler.

I was thinking to do the pipes first, seeing that it would sound SO much better with them, and then doing the cooler afterward.

What is the opinion out here on this?

·
Banned
1,053 Posts
the general consensus is that an oil cooler will reduce temps by about 15%. someone posted an alternate source for the oil cooler set up, at a much lower price, the search button should yield some results.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
At 2800F oil temperature you are not overheating, just pretty dang hot. The oil cooler will not do much for you in stop & go traffic since you need air flow for it to work. If you want a cooler go for it, but don't expect a biiig improvement.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
after doing cans/intake/pcIII my bike started running hotter, so I picked up the cooler kit as a bit of insurance. so far it's been running about 30* cooler. so yeah, that's like 15%

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Installing pipes could lead to a lean situation which will compound your temp issue if not properly tuned.

The oil cooler isn't a bad investment IMO.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
my 750 came with and oil cooler and the bike usually stays under 220 except for extreme stop and go traffic where it once hit 300. that was right before and oil change and didn't seem to do an damage.

in the winter the temp rarely made it over 170 so i put a piece of duct tape over 3/4 of the cooler and now it hits 190 - 200.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts