Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:-/I recently purchased a 97 M900 from my local Ducati dealer. Evidently it was originally purchased and immediately stored (for 5 years) with only 300 miles on it. I've "gingerly" put nearly 700 miles on it in a couple weeks and it's consumed about 3/4 quart of oil. Being a first time Ducati owner I'm not sure if this is normal or not. What do you think?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Hmmm.

Was it "stored" or "ignored" for five years?

I tend to doubt that someone who buys a bike and rides it for 300 miles (in Arizona fer chrissake, it's not like WINTER came!) would take the trouble to fog the cylinders, stabilize the fuel in the tank, etc.

While I've heard on this board that 3/4 qt. is not unheard of, I wouldn't call it normal either. My bike (a '99 with 11,000 mi. on it) has had negligable oil consumption since I've owned it.

Are there any signs of blow-by on the rings? That'd be exhaust smoke on hard acceleration.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
::)The dealer claims to have "gone through" the bike and it certainly looks brand new, no signs of wear. I know they looked at the belts, valve adjustment and the obvious stuff. Yes, it smokes on acceleration, sometimes worse than others. I'm thinking valve guide seals, or heaven forbid, a bad ring or something. . . I'm hoping it will clear up as the motor finishes breaking in, but that may be too optimistic.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I'm getting in over my head here. Chris, where are you?

I've always heard "smoke on acceleration -- rings. smoke on deceleration -- valve guides."

That says your symptoms are rings.

Now the reason I jumped to that conclusion is that if the cylinders weren't fogged, you can get corrosion of the rings and maybe even the barrels. This could cause a bad seal and therefore blow-by.

The dealer may have looked the bike over thoroughly, but looking inside the cylinders is tough and looking at the rings is impossible without pulling the jugs. I'd assume you could 'scope the inside of the jugs if you had the tools, but I'm not sure how conclusive such an inspection would be. Some FHE would be in order here.

Keep an eye on it. I wish you the best, but I fear you may be being optimistic in hoping the smoke will go away.

Hopefully if you do have a problem, the dealer will treat you right.

Keep us informed.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Sitting that long could be valve seals, but only 300 miles could be unseated rings. Ducati also used to have some q/c problems with the Nycosil in the jugs. I'd just continue to break it in, making sure you get plenty of high RPM to seat those rings & after about 1000 miles if you're still having a problem, then something needs to be fixed. Don't let ANYONE tell you that oil consumption like that is normal!! A leak down test would be a good place to begin your investigation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts