Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read the recent thread regarding oil use/valve adjustment, but had some more questions about engine braking/down shifting as a cause. I went through 3/4 of qt. since my 1st service at roughly 750 miles, and now have 2500 miles. Is it true it is hard on the bike and chain to slow through down shifting? Read it somewhere... Is this mostly what might be causing my oil consumption? I also do alot of in town riding to and from work adding in two or three longer twisty rides a week.

Thanks.

Scooby ;D

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
3/4 quart in this time period is O.K if there is no leakage or smoke. blipping the thottle between shifts relieves load on the driveline.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Howie's right on.

I assume RPM matching when someone mentions down shifting. Making the clutch do all that work is bad juju!

As to the other point, 3/4 qt. may be ok, but it's by no means universal. I only needed to add 1/4 qt or so between 300 mi changes until this cycle when I had a head leak. I engine brake like a madman. My front brake pads still look good at 11,000 mi.

So while it may not be an alarm bell, many bikes are tighter than that.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don,

Curious as to what this quote means - "I assume RPM matching when someone mentions down shifting. Making the clutch do all that work is bad juju!".

Thanks for the imput... ;)

Scooby

R

·
0 Posts
Since downshifting is going to increase engine rpm, it helps when you pull in the clutch lever to spin up the rpm's by blipping (quickly twisting) the throttle to better match the rpm of the gear you are downshifting into, before letting the clutch out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts