Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know the torque specs for the oil drain plug, oil screen bolt, and the nut that covers the oil screen bolt? Or can you tell me where I can find these specs, other than a Haynes manual which I do not currently have?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
oil drain plug 42nm
oil screen plug 42 nm
oil screen 42 nm
oil filler cap 5nm (couln't resist) if you can figure out how to get a torque wrench on it, let me know :eek:

G

·
I always thought it funny that they include a torque rating for the oil filter.

Then I realized some filters come with a hex nut on them... I think maybe K&N?

For the truly anal retentive, maybe there's a way to rig a strap wrench to a torque wrench?

OR... get a bionic hand/forearm with a digital torque readout!

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
You're joking right?? Using a torque wrench for an oil drain plug & filter???

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
You're joking right?? Using a torque wrench for an oil drain plug & filter???
no, i don't, but i always use it for the filler cap ;). if you are rich and anal you can buy the genuine Ducati tool that fits the flats on the genuine Ducati oil filter. then you can use your torque wrench 8)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm glad I did use a torque wrench, because I realized that I would have tightened those suckers down way too much if I was going by feel. 42NM came a lot sooner than I would have thought. Besides, I already had the torque wrench out tonight to install my CC frame sliders - you're not going to tell me I'm crazy for torquing an engine stud now are you?

Thanks for the info guys.

8)

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I only use a torque wrench on critical stretch bolt (head, con rods, etc.). I think the Cycle cat motor bolts stretch, but I'm not sure. For the rest of the stuff, it's simple - you want things tight enough that they don't fall off, & loose enough that you don't snap the bolt or strip the threads. Most people tend to tighten bolts up waaay too much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts