Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil this A.M.

When I pulled the Mesh Filter out, I found an acccumulation of small dark brown flakes on the screening, like pieces of a deteriorated hard gasket type of material....at first it looked like some sort of bakelite chips....??????????

Only one small piece of shiny metal flake (not bad for 22K miles I guess)

I usually waste money on Motul oil but at the last change I used Mobil 1 and I am wondering if maybe it floated some stuff loose....back to Motul this time

God only knows what is going on inside the belly of Rodent...it is a strange machine but it keeps chugging merrily along.....

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
The 96's still had a center case gasket that actually had some "baffling" qualities (large patches of solid material where there is no sealing actually hapening). Over time the gasket with harden and begin to flake away, thus what you are seeing. Not to worry, I never had anything large enough to cause blockage, and when I finally did take the motor apart (45k) there were no large chunks missing, just some tatered edges.

BTW, how's the job market in Blairsville, the wife and I are thinking of moving to that area in a couple of years.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks R-K!! had a feeling it was some sort of gasket-oid material
Now...
The job market in B-ville and the area around it blows which is why I still prostitute myself to the corporate gods in NYC and make monthly pilgrimages

It is ok if you are in:

-medicine/healthcare
-construction
-surveying
-real estate
-moonshining

....or otherwise proficient at low-paying jobs at WallyWorld or in the Fast food industry.

If you plan to get up there look at buying property soon...it is just going to continue to climb...Florida retirees, northern retirees and weekend homes for Greater-Atlanta are driving prices ever higher

I get terribly homesick...New York is a torment and I max-out every 3 weeks and run home...being up here is like holding your breath under water and then coming up for air...esp after 9/11, I still work downtown and I DON'T want to die and be buried in NY...but it is where the work is for me

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Well, I'm not in any of those fields, sooo. I guess I'll just have to win the Lottery before I move. BTW If I do win the lotto, I'll fly everyone from the board* out with thier bikes so we can have the biggest [email protected] Monster party in the world on some of the best roads in the country.

*In order to qualify for this party, you must first send $1 to the Reckless Abandon lottery fund, P.M. me for details ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts