Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Oil Change Question

3K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  Duc96cr 
#1 ·
Hey guys quick (and probably stupid) question for you all. When you go to change the oil do you use a maintenance stand (rear wheel) or do you get someone to hold the bike level? I realize when filling it needs to be upright, but when it’s on the stand versus off it shows two different quantities of oil. Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
I use the maintenance stand... Since I have it.

Ducati have the side stand bolted to the crankcase (that saves weight but it's some times can cause some oil leaks) so for me it's not an option to leave the bike too long on the side stand (that's the reason I bought the maintenance stand)... But that's just me.

#5 ·
Side stand causes oil leaks?? how??. I've been parking my bikes on the side stand for 40 years, never caused an oil leak? please explain!!!.
Normally it shouldn't, but since it's a aluminium crankcase (at least mine 1100 is) and the side stand is bolted to that, if it (the side stand) suffer some excessive force, for some reason, it can "crack" the crankcase.

It happen to me, and accordingly to my mechanic it wasn't the first he saw.

On a quick search online:
crankcase cracked

Reactions: Pullbackchap
#6 ·
suffer some excessive force,
Of course your are right, Drop the bike or have an accident can break anything. But consider this, everything is bolted to the engine, the frame, the swing arm, the engine is central to the structure of a Ducati, unlike Harleys or Triumphs which use the full cradle frame, obviously, to save weight and make Ducati's one of the best handling bikes in the world.

What on earth has this to to do with a simple oil change question? leaving the bike parked on it's side stand in no way can break anything, or make the engine leak oil.
we all try to help, even though some questions border on the, well obvious, or even stupid.
some people just need to know they are doing the right thing, however simple it might be, to those of us who have worked on Ducati's for many years It may be obvious, but to a new owner, they just want reassurance.
Not confusion.

#7 ·
Of course your are right, Drop the bike or have an accident can break anything. But consider this, everything is bolted to the engine, the frame, the swing arm, the engine is central to the structure of a Ducati, unlike Harleys or Triumphs which use the full cradle frame, obviously, to save weight and make Ducati's one of the best handling bikes in the world.

What on earth has this to to do with a simple oil change question? leaving the bike parked on it's side stand in no way can break anything, or make the engine leak oil.
we all try to help, even though some questions border on the, well obvious, or even stupid.
some people just need to know they are doing the right thing, however simple it might be, to those of us who have worked on Ducati's for many years It may be obvious, but to a new owner, they just want reassurance.
Not confusion.
It's just a simple advice... I don't leave my bike parked with the side stand because accidents do happen... You don't like my advice... fine... It's like... just a advice... and no, I haven't "worked on Ducati's for many years", but still I have my experience.

Yes I think he should consider buying a maintenance stand, yes he can do the oil change both ways and yes you made us go completely off-topic because you don't agree with my point of view.

Reactions: Pullbackchap
#12 ·

Are you referring to number 21
Use a ring spanner on the bolt nut, your replacing the filter anyway, If you don't have very large pipe wrench or filter removal tool to hold filter firmly, drill a hole through base of filter and insert large screwdriver through, so all the way through both sides, using the screwdriver as a lever. Can be messy, so do it over a pan.

#14 ·
No, normal thread, but if the filter hasn't been changed in a while and some corrosion, they can be tight. which is probably why the union bolt came out first. Don't worry about wrecking the filter, it's being replaced.
Are you having difficulty removing it? the union bolt that is. no. 21.

#15 ·
No, normal thread, but if the filter hasn't been changed in a while and some corrosion, they can be tight. which is probably why the union bolt came out first. Don't worry about wrecking the filter, it's being replaced.
Are you having difficulty removing it? the union bolt that is. no. 21.
Yea mostly because I’m in my apartment parking lot trying to do it without a vice. Ha. I’m just gonna take it to the local shop around here and have them break it free. Thanks for all the help though.

#16 · (Edited)
Vice, we don't need no stinkin' vice...(famous quote), Do you or girlfriend/mate, have a car? drive over it to squash it and pin it down, oil everywhere, oops!, then undo bolt with spanner. Have a hammer? bash it flat and jam under door?? sorry, I used to be old Aussie bush mechanic.
sadly, if you don't have tools, then it's hard.

#17 ·
Haha well we got it out and all is good. I was looking at the amount of oil the manual says versus the sight glass. It appears I may have over filled it a hair. Is this a problem and should I drain some out? (2013 Monster 1100 evo). Sorry for the questions. This is my first monster and I’d rather not ruin it.

#18 ·
As long as you can still see the 'actual level' through glass. If you can't see top of oil and glass is 'full', It could be an air pocket in new filter, and will settle after a ride, or too much oil and that's not good. I got into habit of 1/2 filling new filter with fresh oil before fitting. there is always some oil left in engine when changing. so putting in what manual says can give higher reading. Up to you really. I prefer to have my level spot on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.