Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm at 3500 miles and gearing up for my first oil change.

I did find the FAQ on it, thank you, but just wanted to check in before I roll my sleeves up. The instructions I'm looking at (http://www.ducatimonster.org/faq/faq_oil.html) predate my bike, so I just want to make sure all that info is still appropriate to my 620.

Wish me luck!

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
It's right on, but for an '03 620, you'll also need a 14mm hex bit. It's not absolutely necessary, but if you want to check your oil screen, you'll need the 14mm hex bit to get it out. Also, (B) in the pic, the 21mm bolt (is it 21mm?) that holds the oil screen has a sensor going into it. Take the sensor off (it just unclips). Then undo the bolt. Then, you can get in there and get to the oil screen.

This pic is from this thread: http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php/topic,12304.0.html

Also, cover your exhaust with aluminum foil before you drain the oil. The foil will prevent oil from coating your exhaust and then burning off when you start her up.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
I'm hoping that your first oil change really wasn't delayed till 3500 miles. That you or the previous owner (if bought used) did the 600 mile service and change the oil one other time after that. And that you going to use Mobil 1 MX4T 10w-40 with a Ducati oil filter.

Stuart

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Spidey said:
Also, cover your exhaust with aluminum foil before you drain the oil. The foil will prevent oil from coating your exhaust and then burning off when you start her up.
DAMN! Why didn't I think of that before!! :mad: [cheeky]

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I just did my first oil change (2 actually since my friend just got his monster) and it was pretty easy, wish I had thought of the foil thing, that smoke that came up when I turned the bike on scared me, thought it was the engine for a sec ::)

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
JJGeo said:
DAMN! Why didn't I think of that before!! :mad: [cheeky]
I learned that incredibly simple 'lil gem from the DML (Scott Nelson mebbe? Fillmore? howie? Who knows.).

Gawd, I love this board.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Spidey said:
I learned that incredibly simple 'lil gem from the DML (Scott Nelson mebbe? Fillmore? howie? Who knows.).

Gawd, I love this board.
Not me. I just wipe the oil off the pipe and let it smoke for a while.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts