Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I was looking at the maintenance guide on Ducati Suite and it recommends I get an oil change and bleed my brakes at 3000 miles. I just called my local dealership to set up an appointment and they were very adamant that I did not need an oil change at 3000. They said the maintanence intervals were 600, 6000 and 12000 miles (which I have a voucher for the 6000) and they said there was no point in me spending money on the 3000 oil change when I didn't need to.

Am I okay to wait until my 6000 to do my oil change? I will probably have the service done in July (since my coupon expires in August) and I doubt I'll even get to 5000 miles by then.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
interesting!

I thought the manual said 3000 miles. Also, somewhere on the home page here you'll find a recommended maintenance schedule. I plan on doing my own change at around 1200-1500 and switch over to synthetic.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I strongly disagree with what your dealer says. It's common knowledge for ALL combustion engines that 3000 miles is the correct interval for oil changes. In regard to bleeding your brake and cluth line, I've been doing that every 6000 miles...

G

·
But you sure as **** should change the timing belts, so you dump out the oil too. They are supposed to have put synth oil in at the 600 mile point which will last you to 6000 miles, but changing oil never hurts.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are supposed to have put synth oil in at the 600 mile point which will last you to 6000 miles.
That's what the person at the dealership told me, that the synthetic oil will last and that's why I didn't need one.

The dealer was Goodtimes Kawasaki in Sacramento, by the way.

·
Registered
852 Posts
My dealer suggested changing oil at 3000 miles or 3 months whichever comes first.

Based on my own engineering experience working with refineries and stuff I would also change it at 3000 miles if not earlier. Remember the oil in our bikes are also the transmission oil. Swapping to new one NEVER hurts, especially when your bike is still running-in, potentially with more small metal stripping off internal engine parts. The cost is under $50 if you do it yourself, it takes about three beers worth of time. When I had the 3000-mile oil change I still saw a small amount of metal shavings.

Is it worth it? It's your decision.

I do not see the reasoning of this being "total BS". There is almost nothing bad about changing oil early (except if you don't dump your used oil properly).

G

·
That's what the person at the dealership told me, that the synthetic oil will last and that's why I didn't need one.

Like I said the belts should be replaced for safe measure so you could change it the oil too. It's really a question of howmuch you wanna spend. I know a few people that change their oil yearly. I race cars so its my habit to change my oil in all my vehicles constantly, but then I do it at home so...

Sexy

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Change the oil! For gods sake change it!

If some people say "ah, you should be fine," and others say "you need to do it or risk engine damage," dont take the risk!

I am almost positive that the bike will be fine if you don't do it, but I am also almost positive that the engine will not last as long!!

Besides, whats $50 anyway... There is no danger of having oil thats too clean.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It would seem to me that dealers do not turn away work very often, even when it is unnecessary ;)

Britain is completely different with regard to oil change habits - 6000 miles or annual service is usual for most people to even think about changing their oil (in cars). I noticed when I moved to the US, that there is a completely different attitude to this. You don't get lube shops in the UK at all (to my knowledge). Not sure if it is a big conspiracy by oil companies to scare people in to doing regular oil changes over here, or just good practice.

I tend to follow the manual. My Ducati manual recommended 6214 miles for oil change intervals

G

·
Conflicting opinions everywhere.

Here's the rub.

The oil change before 3,000 miles CANNOT hurt.

The opposite side is that oil breaks down due to exposure to heat and mechanical shearing forces that are individually unique to your bike and environment.
No conspiracy.

As the Oil breaks down you can actually feel the difference in shifting the tranny.

Go ahead.
Change the oil early. 50 bucks is cheap insurance and peace of mind.

3,000 miles is an average.
I contend that average guys do NOT ride Monsters and don't know what to do with that .5 part of a kid they have ;D.

Swap it out is my .023(Adjusted for inflation).
S-28

P.S.
Mind the dealers.
Many Carry Ducati as a sideline and do not focus on them as they should.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts

Dude... for the love of gawd... don't take your bike to that place. I wouldn't let those idiots change the oil in my XR50!! I've had a pretty bad experiance with them and pretty much don't recommend them to anyone. I'm up in Antelope... and if you bring the oil, I'll show you how to do it all your self using my tools, bike work table, and stands. ...just steer clear of Goodcrimes Kawasaki.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
The oil change before 3,000 miles CANNOT hurt.
Yeah, what he said...

50 bucks is cheap insurance and peace of mind.
Except for that bit...

I'm using Motul 5100 ("synthetic fortified") in mine (changing it every 5000km - just over 3000miles).

I pay about $37 for 4L of it.

Add $12 for a filter (which I don't _always_ do, I'm happy enough to let it slide if I haven't got one handy, I just make sure I never skip the filter change twice in a row).

An oil change is lucky to cost me $35 - and sometimes only $25...

big (I've only ever changed the crush washers once in 90,000km)

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
A little off the subject, but interesting non-the-less, my Renault Scenic uses synthetic and recommneds oil changes at every 30,000km (18,000 miles)! Can you believe that? I just had it done yesterday for the 2nd time in its life at 60,000km, and it was 220 Euros :( Maybe they just want the engine to crap out sooner, so you buy another car?

mitt

·
Registered
366 Posts
The "total BS" was in reference to "it's common knowledge for all combustion engines that 3000 miles is the correct interval for oil changes".

I agree that changing at 3000 miles is not bad. Changing at 5000 miles is not bad. Using synthetic is better. Redline even recommends a 10000 mile oil change interval for all engines except racing applications.

It was the "it's common knowledge" statement that got me going. There seem to be more urban legends about oil change intervals, correct oils, etc, than just about any other bike related topic. ;)

The advantage of synthetic is that it holds viscoisty longer and doesn't break down as readily as dino oil. Longer oil change intervals should be coupled to use of synthetic
I do not see the reasoning of this being "total BS".

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
So what oil should I use? 20W-50, 10W-40? Should I use synthetic or what?

Ok, ok, I'm kidding. I had to ask that. There's only 587 other threads on that subject. ;) ;D

G

·
I was told 3000. End of season if you went under 3K, change the oil, the next season run that oil, which is virgin, run it for the year, if you go under 3k change it at the end of the season again....repeat as nesessary.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts