Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

oil brand

1K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  s4grrr 
#1 ·
whats a good oil brand for my bike? i want to do my own oil changes

s2r

thx

#3 ·
Man, I am sorry some people give new people a hard time about just asking a question. I guess with the 28 posts other people have, they have been here so long they cant even answer a question. ::) I used KLOTZ full synthetic in mine. It works great, and has a awesome smell from the exhaust....they say its a "racey scent" Lots of others use Mobil 1. Good Luck with you decision and welcome to the DML!

#5 ·
lwszabo said:
Man, I am sorry some people give new people a hard time about just asking a question. I guess with the 28 posts other people have, they have been here so long they cant even answer a question. ::) I used KLOTZ full synthetic in mine. It works great, and has a awesome smell from the exhaust....they say its a "racey scent" Lots of others use Mobil 1. Good Luck with you decision and welcome to the DML!
thanks... i've heard there are a lot of weenies on this board, but i guess i can ignore that, right?

i was concered about the wet clutch on the 800, ive had a dry cltuch duc before but thought it might be different and i can't find shell advance here.

thanks

#9 ·
jacksS2R said:
thanks... i've heard there are a lot of weenies on this board, but i guess i can ignore that, right?

i was concered about the wet clutch on the 800, ive had a dry cltuch duc before but thought it might be different and i can't find shell advance here.

thanks

I also couldn't find shell advance ultra in 10w-40 viscosity, only 15w-50 which my dealer used but my gears were slipping, so i changed to Castrol Actevo (i believe it's called activ in the states) 10w-40 and i'm very very pleased with how the engine runs + it comes in a red color [thumbsup]

#13 ·
I use the Amsoil 20W/50 full synthetic also. [thumbsup]

#16 ·
I use Honda regular dino 20w50 in all 13 of my bikes, including my HD's.

My manual states 20w50 for a climate like Florida, and it does not state it must be syn. just that it meats like SG or something like that.

#17 ·
M695 Army Man said:
Isn't 20 w 50 a little thick for a Ducati, especially if your using synthetic???

My Ducati manual calls for 10 w 40.
BCM Ducati just filled my M620 up with Klotz 20w50. I asked the same question. Their answer was "no." I trust them on this. The high today in Laconia was about a zillion below (Ok, it was 2F) when I picked up the bike and no warmer an hour and a half south where I live. They just told me that if I was planning to ride before spring a) get my head examined and b) let it warm up plenty long.

#19 ·
i use mobil 1 or, if i can't get hold of it i try to use shell vsx4, think it's called ultra in the US. with a wet clutch bike a motorcycle specific oil is recomended and i would say avoid any oil that has the friction modified type tag as it's not good for wet clutches.
other than that personal preferance and availability will probably be the major factor in what to get.
cheers,
paul.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.