Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey gang,
i was running an ohlins rear shock on my s4 with a remote reservoir and preload adjuster last season (however brief last season was for my bike!). for the few rides i squeezed in, i found it's feel to be excellent so hurray for ohlins! but with the minimalist theme i'm trying to follow (tough on a liquid cooled bike), i didn't like having the remote reservoir and preload adjuster cluttering up the tail section.
so i sourced a like-new ohlins shock off a 998 to try swapping. i was under the impression the SBK version was a bit shorter than the monster/ST version so i was prepared to account for the difference in length with the ride-height rod. as it turns out, measuring them side-by-side, they're exactly the same length eye-to-eye so it's a direct swap! so the 998 unit's staying on. plenty of clearance between the attached reservoir and the rear exhaust header so i'm not worried about cooking it. i'll post pics hopefully tonight.

note - the monster unit's already sold.

·
Registered
339 Posts
note - the monster unit's already sold.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I had the paypal form all filled out before I finished your email and had my dreams of tasty ohlins bits hauling my fat ass around st. louis dashed. Tease. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Strati, any idea how much, if at all, the damping rates differ between the two? I can't imagine they would be the same.
they're definately different. but i couldn't imagine it being a dramatic difference. both bikes weigh about 425 lbs in stock trim and have similar suspension characteristics. the s4's weight IS more rear-biased than the 998 so you could guess that the 998's would be softer, but the 998 DOES put more power to the turf so i'm figuring that's compensated for?

i'll post again when i get a ride in, but it'll be hard to account for just the shock. i'm installing 999 forks at the same time.

·
Registered
248 Posts
they're definately different. but i couldn't imagine it being a dramatic difference. both bikes weigh about 425 lbs in stock trim and have similar suspension characteristics. the s4's weight IS more rear-biased than the 998 so you could guess that the 998's would be softer, but the 998 DOES put more power to the turf so i'm figuring that's compensated for?

i'll post again when i get a ride in, but it'll be hard to account for just the shock. i'm installing 999 forks at the same time.
strati,
do u think these would be straight swap on 900s monster

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that's right... a SBK unit should work well enough on any '02+ monster. prior to that, i have no info...

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Strati:

I have a line on a ohlins 996 shock. My bike is a 2002 S4, no emissions, high pipes. The dealer swears that it won't fit. Did you have any trouble putting yours on? Have you ridden it yet?

Thanks in advance. Looks like a great idea!

Rideon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Strati:

I have a line on a ohlins 996 shock. My bike is a 2002 S4, no emissions, high pipes. The dealer swears that it won't fit. Did you have any trouble putting yours on? Have you ridden it yet?

Thanks in advance. Looks like a great idea!

Rideon
haven't ridden it yet (need to get the forks on too) but no issues fitting it. very straight-forward swap.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Strati, do you have to remove the crankcase box (I think that's what it is)? The plastic container right next to and above the upper shock mount.
Also, are you going to leave the wood in place? It looks awesome ;D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Strati, do you have to remove the crankcase box (I think that's what it is)? The plastic container right next to and above the upper shock mount.
i think you may, and that may be what your dealer's referring to. i'd removed mine long before i made the swap.

Also, are you going to leave the wood in place? It looks awesome ;D
hell yeah! i'm adding some 2x4's to the gastank just for grins... ha!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey guys,
as it turns out, the buddy i sold the ohlins shock (for monster s4, '02+ monsters or ST's) has as he called it "porsche fever". he's got a '73 911 he's restoring and needs some $$$ quick to finish bodywork and do some painting. as such, the ohlins that was on my bike for a whopping 10 miles last season's for sale. $600 + shipping takes it.
here's a couple current pics he emailed me.
http://www.ducatipipemod.com/misc/ohlins1.jpg
http://www.ducatipipemod.com/misc/ohlins2.jpg
http://www.ducatipipemod.com/misc/ohlins3.jpg
http://www.ducatipipemod.com/misc/ohlins4.jpg

this shock goes for $785 at motowheels. this is virtually brand new.

for a different bike (he's also got a 900ss/sp he's restoring), he's got a set of 41mm FCR's up for sale:

http://www.ducatipipemod.com/misc/41FCR1.jpg
http://www.ducatipipemod.com/misc/41FCR2.jpg
http://www.ducatipipemod.com/misc/41FCR3.jpg

used but in excellent shape. this is a kit for a SUPERSPORT so if you wanna put 'em on a monster, you'll need longer throttle cables. ca-cycleworks.com carries them i believe. $790 new, will sell for $500 + shipping.

would like to sell to a board member. otherwise they go on the chopping block (ebay). cheers!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Strati,

What? Tim can't sell hissown damned parts?

Any details on the FCRs? How used are they and do they have a "known good setup" and if so for what stage of motor?

Is that a remote idle adjuster I see in the pics?

I was gonna buy FCRs after I paid my taxes, then I thought I'd wait 'till next year, but for $500....... :-/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What? Tim can't sell hissown damned parts?
that bum's too busy playing with his porsche to log onto this board. i've been trying to turn him onto this site for a while and he keeps saying "yeah yeah, i'll get around to it"... i've sold stuff for him on eBay before like the LS1 motor that was supposedly gonna go into a monte carlo before the 911 came along. but monster-specific stuff i figure the board members get dibs on before subjected to eBay...

Any details on the FCRs? How used are they and do they have a "known good setup" and if so for what stage of motor?
well they look real clean but i'll have to get back to you on details and jetting.

Is that a remote idle adjuster I see in the pics?
yep. with FCR's you loose your choke so being able to tweek the idle's essential for riding in cooler weather.

I was gonna buy FCRs after

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Hmm,

I look forward to more info.

This is the first I've heard of 41s performing worse at cold temps than 39s. I'd never heard any downside to the bigger ones on a 900 (though apparently not strictly necessary until you get the big bore kit ;D)

The cold weather performance of my Mikunis just kills me!
Last week they were icing pretty badly at 50 degrees! That's the warmest I've ever had any problem. I'm good to go any time it's 40 or higher and having the bike not perrform sucks.

Maybe I should listen to Bruce. Stop modding. Save my nickels for a 3-valve FI Monster (where's the drool emoticon?)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I look forward to more info.
ok... just got off the phone with him. he doesn't know what the specific jet sizes are but they were installed and dialed in for the 900ss/sp equiped as follows:
944 high-comp
open airbox lid w/k&n
FBF (forza) slip-ons.

This is the first I've heard of 41s performing worse at cold temps than 39s. I'd never heard any downside to the bigger ones on a 900 (though apparently not strictly necessary until you get the big bore kit ;D)
that's something i was told when shopping for carbs for my ss way back when... but i was later told that the difference isn't significant. i was running my ss in 40 degree weather (bundled up!) because i was carless for a while.

The cold weather performance of my Mikunis just kills me!
Last week they were icing pretty badly at 50 degrees! That's the warmest I've ever had any problem. I'm good to go any time it's 40 or higher and having the bike not perrform sucks.
while running they were great... i guess i should be specific. it wasn't their performance while running, it's just without the choke, it was tough getting it to idle when cold. hotter coils would probably help i guess?

Maybe I should listen to Bruce. Stop modding. Save my nickels for a 3-valve FI Monster (where's the drool emoticon?)
hehehe... i hear you man... i've decided to stop modding my s4's motor. jumping right in with a 998 motor for "phaseIII".

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
OK

So those carbs are clearly jetted too rich for my 900 jugs.

I think I'll pass. I just don't want to get into a project now that the weather is about to turn nice.

If I were to do FCRs, I want something I can just bolt on and ride away with.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts