Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here had Ohlins inserts for the front forks? If so, what are the inserts(spring or catridge) and how much did it cost?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I've been told the Ohlins gold valve fork kit runs about $300. Take that, another $150 for some new springs and fluids, add them to those Showas you've got for sale and you've got a sweet front end. That's what I was planning to do with those if I bought em.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
prince_ruben said:
Has anyone here had Ohlins inserts for the front forks? If so, what are the inserts(spring or catridge) and how much did it cost?
Cartridges and springs are seperate entities. Even with a new cartridge kit, you'll still need springs. The Ohlins UES kit (the $300 you're talking about) comes with the valving for the forks and the shim stacks. You'll still need springs, oil, I believe seals (cause you might as well replace em if you're tearing your forks apart). If you want to have it done by a pro, Kyle Racing sells tham for around $600 installed with new springs. You can also try www.traxxion.com or www.le-suspension.com, they both also sell a quality product (and many would say superior to what you get in the UES kit).

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I've been talking to TD about their AK-20 cartridge kit. $999 for the cartridge kit + $150 for the adjustable caps if your forks don't have them. After ttl, install, etc., the price of the TD kit starts getting close enough to the price of just going with full Ohlins forks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ruben did you talk to Ken at SBK? I'm almost positive he put Ohlins internals in my Marzocchi stock forks when he rebuilt mine.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Archimedes said:
I've been talking to TD about their AK-20 cartridge kit. $999 for the cartridge kit + $150 for the adjustable caps if your forks don't have them. After ttl, install, etc., the price of the TD kit starts getting close enough to the price of just going with full Ohlins forks.
Here's the deal, the cartiridges are removable and can be installed on your next bike, so you won't be taking a loss when you sell. Also, the R&T forks are around $2.1K so you're spending about 800 dollars less than with the ohlins. And, not to burst anyone's bubble, but the R&T forks, while good, are not any better than the traxxion cartridges unless they themselves have the good kit put into them as well, which will run you an add'l 300 or so I believe. So, unless you're looking for bling over performance, don't drop the coin on the R&T forks. Get the UES kit, the LE kit, Thermosmann, race tech, Traxxion, etc..., they all offer much better bang for the buck.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Archimedes said:
Local Ohlins shop said they didn't think the 20 or 25 mm Ohlins cartridge kit would work on the Marzocchis.
The cartidge kit is different than the UES valving kit and costs CONSIDERABLY more. And, you're probably never going to ride to near the full potential of something like that (most of us won't and shouln't on the street anyhow).

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
darylbowden said:
The cartidge kit is different than the UES valving kit and costs CONSIDERABLY more. And, you're probably never going to ride to near the full potential of something like that (most of us won't and shouln't on the street anyhow).
The cartridge kit runs $1200-$1500 from what I've seen. I'm looking for track day performance. I've also found that the really high end stuff (like Ohlins and Lindemann) not only works better on the track but actually dramatically improves road ride. I had a VFR set up for the track many moons ago that also had a better highway ride than any stock VFR ever dreamed of.

I personally don't like the bling factor of the Ohlins, but based on my experience, Ohlins doesn't have their reputation as the best for nothing. It is awesome equipment. Course if I had the fully adjustable Showas on my bike I'd just take them over to Lindemann and be done with it. Wouldn't even consider Ohlins, or TD for that matter. But I don't so the choices are less clear. And for me, once I cross a grand the money kinda becomes a blur. I have a harder time spending $1,300 on something I think is gonna be good than $2,300 on something that I KNOW is going to be good.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Back up a few questions: no, the M forks won't accept new internals. pitch them & get 43mm sbk forks, then add the Ohlins kit.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
If you have an older monster with 41mm forks, you'll never get the same feedback as with 43mm ones. I believe most (or all) the newer monsters come with 43mm forks, but I'd take a look before you order something.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Norm said:
Back up a few questions: no, the M forks won't accept new internals. pitch them & get 43mm sbk forks, then add the Ohlins kit.
Yes they will. You can't revalve the internals, but you can replace the entire cartridge with a TD AK-20 kit. And TD also sells at top kit that will allow for pre-load and rebound adjustment.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys. I'm reading an eploded chart so I trying to familiarize myself with the terminology and inner workings. Thanks!

Jerry, haven't talked to Ken yet!

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Archimedes said:
Yes they will. You can't revalve the internals, but you can replace the entire cartridge with a TD AK-20 kit. And TD also sells at top kit that will allow for pre-load and rebound adjustment.
Are you sure? That's the 1st time I've heard of anyone able to change the cartridge in the stock March....

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Norm said:
Are you sure? That's the 1st time I've heard of anyone able to change the cartridge in the stock March....
I've spoken with Traxxion twice about it and they swear they have a kit to do it for the 800 Marzocchis. $999 for the kit and another $150 for the fork caps that give you preload and rebound adjustability. Or course he could have been mistaken and not sweating the model details, but he seemed pretty sure of himself. If they don't it'll make my decision a lot easier.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts