Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so sad today :'( My first monster issue really. It starts when I get back from Ohio two weeks ago. All of a sudden the bike doesn't start immediately when I hit the starter button, it takes maybe two or three pushes. Lights on, in neutral, no sound of the thing turning over or buzzing / spinning of any kind...silence. Then bamm! It starts just fine. Hmmmmm. Today at lunch it started first thing. Then after work...nothing. It won't even bump start after three or four good tries. It does however turn over and over when attempting to bump start, but no ignition.

It started once with the starter button, then stupid me puts it in first with the side stand down. Won't start again. Oh yeah..the tach does this weird epileptic thing. It jumps around when on, in neutral in gear, but the bike is not running..only powered on. By jumps around I mean kind of flipping around between 0-1500 ??? ???

Side note: The bike was washed and detailed by a friend while I was in Ohio. I came back and this is my new issue. I'm wandering if water or cleaning agents got into the electrical system and weirded it out. What could be the worst here?

Monsteri is loaded in the truck, goin to the dealer in the morning. It sucks cause I am planning on going to a rally 325 miles away this weekend. Any thoughts from the group on what could be my problem? The obvious would be something to do with the washing, but what exactly, and how complicated could it be to fix? Thanks in advance -

I also have a kick stand by-pass switch and an electric vest outlet hooked up...if it matters. :)

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I don't have an '01 specific wiring diagram, so I'm working from an '00 diagram, so "your mileage may vary":

Check to make sure all of your fuses are good. If any look suspicious, replace 'em.

Could be the sidestand switch, or the relay that it operates. If that relay doesn't close because it's bad or because the sidestand switch is bad, you get no starter and no spark.

If you get lights, then the main relay is OK.

Good luck.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
betcha it turns out to be the solenoid or connectors the sidestand relay. since Monsteri went to the doctor's office, see what they say. if they come up with nothing i will try to walk you through troubleshooting.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to disconnect the kickstand bi-pass and return to stock before I take it in. Maybe it's just the bi-pass harness.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you have to mention the electrical failure and OHIO. We have a bad enough rap without being an electrical black hole. ;D
I would go with sidestand. I washed my last duck by spraying it with a hose. DOH

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I am so happy. I just took Monsteri to H*nda Peninsula and they fixed her in 10 minutes, and charged me 10 bucks!!! Starter relay switch. I guess they have a tendency to go bad. Thanks for the input all! On the road again...just can't wait to get on the road again....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts