Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just stripped one of my handlebar head bolts putting a bar riser in. The question is am I screwed? Do I have to go get it tapped and get a new bolt or will the other 3 bolts be enough to keep my handlebar on safely. First thing I tried to do to the bike and I FUBAR it:mad:

·
Registered
663 Posts
It all depends on if you stripped the threads off the bolt, or screwed up the internal threads.

If you just screwed the threads on the bolt, you should be able to clean up the female side and replace bolt. Otherwise, helicoil is your friend.

I wouldn't only fly with 3 of 4 bolts though.

·
Registered
221 Posts
replacement part

the handlebar mount on the 696 is mount into a press fitted receiver and bushing on the top triple clamp.

good news is if you stripped out the bolt head.. replace the bolt from the supplier you got the riser from (or Ducati if it used the stock bolt)

also good news is that if you stripped out the threads... you can replace the ftting in the top triple instead of the whole triple.

bad news... modification and spending can be done to replace it all and not worry about it ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Perhaps the hole is threaded deep nough to just use a longer bolt. If it is I would chase the threads before installing the new bolt. If this is not an option a helicoil will work just fine. Alot of times this is stonger anyway. I have worked on Gas turbines alot and they are full of Helicoils for this reason. In the off chance the hole is stripped to badly for a helicoil there is another product availible called a Twinsert and after these there is Keenserts. These kits are available usually through industrial supply stores and are relativley cheap ($30-$50) when comared to the alternative which is a whole new part.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got rid of the risers, the bolts it came with only grabbed a couple threads. They needed to be about a half inch longer. I put the stock clamps back and it grabbed more thread and held. So much for saving money on ebay...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts