Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Re: OH Friggin NO!

Friggen great. Just what we need a buch of people that believe motorcycles polute more than a V8 SUV.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts

Um, motorcycles do pollute more than most SUVs with a V8. They may use less gasoline per mile, but they also spew far more pollutants per mile also...

G

·

In the greater stack of things that affect air-quality I don't think motorcycles are at the top of the list....

its feel-good PR and sound-bites for tree-huggers....but then most of our Bureaucracy is superficial, cosmetic and expensive

more polishing of the deck rails on the Titanic while the hull is ripped open and water's pouring in

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts

Does California already have these standards? Or is this going to be much more than that?

·
Registered
461 Posts

The 2008 Standard is well-known here. One of the selling points of the VFR800 is that it currently meets '08 standards. That's also one reason I haven't messed with anything on it at all - makes me feel all warm and fuzzy to have one bike which makes exhaust I can breathe.

-Don

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts

Will motorcycles need an emmission test at the time as thier yearly inspection? Same as a car? I know some states don't require inspections every year.

Or will it just require manufactures in ALL states to do what California is already doing?

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
well, here are some interesting statistics...

number of pickup trucks in CA in 1997 = 4,300,000
number of minivans in CA in 1997 = 1,250,000
number of SUVs in CA in 1997 = 1,750,000

TOTAL (not including automobiles) = 7,300,000

number of motorcycles in CA in 2002 = 551,000

now seems to me that there are more than 7,300,000 trucks/minivans/SUVs in CA in 2002 when compared to 1997. As such, these heavy vehicles alone most likely create more pollution than 551,000 motorcycles.

my sources....

truck, minivan, SUV

motorcycle

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thought I'd add some info to this:

-news.motorcycle.com has a good thread on this. Upshot: basically, all 49 states are following California, except 2 years later. So manufacturers aren't sweating; as some have posted, there are already bikes which meet the 2010 standard, not just the 2006 law. Heck, there are even some friggin' Harleys that meet the 2006 limits.

-M620 owners fear not: M620's are just shy of meeting the Euro 2 standard, which means they pretty much meet the 2006 limit already. For the rest of the line, it just means Ducati has to add the same gear that's on their Euro-spec bikes. This may actually lower prices, since the company can sell one bike worldwide (homologation).

-I have yet to read of any emissions checks, so you're free to rip off any exhaust parts once you're off the dealer's lot.

-Yes, motorcycles pollute significantly. Although the mileage is higher than in a car, combustion is incomplete, so a lot of chemicals make it out the pipes. In particular, motorcycles in general, and especially 2-valvers, have "squish" combustion chambers. A thin film of unburnt fuel protects the head and piston-top from erosion. H*nda has announced that it will move away from this, probably using better cooling and metallurgy to prevent erosion.
Rene Carlos

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts

I'm on the side of less polluting. My mother has an SUV, but it's considered a zero emissions vehicle, like many new vehicles that are on the road today. I fully support any effort to curb emissions on any vehicles. It has nothing to do with personal freedom and everything to do with being mature enough to recognize that our greedy consumption of everything is going to screw this planet for our children.

I'm a strong supporter of the Libertarian party and all personal freedoms, but this is about safety, not freedom. No one is going to lose anything by having governements requiring manufacturers to make cleaner products, in the end we all just gain by possibly having a slightly cleaner planet. And no this doesn't just apply to motorcycles, I think it's deplorable that our government is so spineless as to not require manufacturers to sell far more hybrid cars. There is no excuse for it other than greedy politicians who like their oil money.

·
Registered
426 Posts

The weird thing is once we get over the added weight of the catalytic converter the bikes will be making more horsepower and run better just like cars do today compared to 1973 which is the equivalent emissions controls as bikes have today. Since I don't buy new and they probably won't check anyway who cares.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Daffe,
With common sense like that YOU WILL NEVER WORK IN GOVERNMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 ;D

·
Registered
195 Posts

The weird thing is once we get over the added weight of the catalytic converter the bikes will be making more horsepower and run better just like cars do today compared to 1973 which is the equivalent emissions controls as bikes have today. Since I don't buy new and they probably won't check anyway who cares.
Very well said. For all the nostalgia people have for the old pre-emissions muscle cars etc etc, modern engine (more importantly, modern engine-electronics) designs do so much more with so much less.

M.

G

·
you guys dont know stupid. Here in Atl GA last year one of our brighter (like a 1 watt bulb) legislators came up with the idea that idiling cars/trucks contribute to the smog (well duh). So his solution was to ban drive thru's.

Yep thats right, no drive thru fast food, atms or cleaners.
Now lets ignore the bumper to bumper grid lock during rush hour.
Or the lack of any emission standards on 12+ year old vechicles or diesels. I've seen a wall of Semi's stuck in traffic on the interstate belching plumes of soot and sulfur for hours. Heck the next scheduled train station to the burbs that contribute a good deal of congestion is scheduled to be completed in 2038!

Luckly he got shouted down for such a stupid suggestion but its only a matter of time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts