Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 320 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Nutts said, DP ECU is fully adjustable using the 999S window on the DDS diagnostics computer.

I was also under the impression that the fuel map itself was not adjustable. What's the deal Nutts?

LA

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I don't know if this is accurate info, but I was told the CO trim on the DP computer is not just an idle trim, but works at high speed also, in other words, there is a (fixed) curve to it. I do know of a case where a bike initially ran like crap with the DP kit. A Ducati rep set the CO and the results were fantastic. Brad, Doug, any input?

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
1.use a dp ecu
2.diconnect o2 sensor
3.connect pciii
4.dyno with zero map
5.have base line
6.set/build new map on pciii

ride your brains out
this is the way to do it
it has been done
it does work
i have the proof
if you get bored check out my new post
i will type up most of it on there

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
gixracer said:
1.use a dp ecu
2.diconnect o2 sensor
3.connect pciii
4.dyno with zero map
5.have base line
6.set/build new map on pciii
Updated. Spendy route, but good to know. Thanks!

·
Registered
743 Posts
I am going to put a lot of this speculation about the RB3 to rest. Me and Al are going to rent some dyno time and post the real numbers. We will have the A/F numbers and everything. We will have a stock run vs. an RB(map for torque), vs. RB(map for HP). If the numbers come out as good as the run I had before(without A/F readings) everyone will be happy, if the numbers look like **** we will eat our words.

·
Registered
166 Posts
CDawg said:
moto4us.com

Sorry for the confusion. I was hoping to collect all the info and posts in one area so a new person could get caught up quickly and painlessly. I didn't mean official as in official from the company or bullet-proof truth.

I surmise the part that bothered you may be related to the write-up on RB3. I considered and am still torn on how to best capture the full sentiments. My gut tells me that most people have had positive experience with it (particularly with the O2 eliminator module installed), but some folks have attributed stock ECU problems to it. Without an accurate way to gauge number of people in each camp, I've left it generic as "some people happy, others not." I am open to rewording to be more accurate if you have any suggestions. Personally, I will probably either do down the RB3 route or the UltiMap route when my exhaust is shipped so I am an fan of theirs.

BTW, do you have any insights as to how RB3 handles the stepper motor? Does it use it, eliminate it, or modify it?

Thanks!
I wrote already about those ECU problems from AUS: old/wrong O2 simulator and didn't fried the ECU - if you bring back the bike to stock the factory ECU is coming back to normal after a while.
So, again there are no problems with RB...on the other hand we have here only threads about happy users.
Right now the best way to go for the money, or if somebody else knows a better solution...please don't tell me again about POCO with a dip on power band and 2hp&2lbs gain, because I been there and hate that...and I'm not the only one.
About FIM, depends on what bike, is good but try to buy in US or find support.
About spending huge money just to adjust the mixture (DP)...good luck...and yes is working...and yes that's helping Ducati Corse ;) ...but in top of that a PCIII, sorry no comments ::)

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Duc8tisti said:
For 4 months and 4000km I rode my 2007 S2R1000 with a full Arrow Ti system (w/ baffles) and stock ECU & Airbox. Best way to describe the bike: "cranky" not happy at anything below 5000 rpm, popping on decel, excessive vibration, rough surging/hesitation, rolling on throttle from low RPM (especially on the track at apex of turn) was very "lumpy" and very annoying. Funny thing is that when I first got the bike (dealer put pipes on for me before I took delivery) I thought it was normal - it was ridable, just not happy. After a few 1000 km's I realized the engine was definitely not running as it should - live and learn...

Put in DP ECU (dealer, with whom I have a good relationship, gave me a significant discount). Eliminated the Closed Loop Monkey off of my bikes back.

New motorcycle. Literally. No dyno run to prove it, but definitely more seat of the pants power throughout curve; virtually eliminated vibration, no popping on decel, smooth power delivery, no surging. The bike is so much more enjoyable to ride, sounds better, and is more comfortable - which is what is the most important to me. Could I squeeze more performance with a more tunable unit - possibly, but then if that is what I wanted, why did I buy the S2R1000 rather than a 999 or 1098?

Finally, I get to keep my warranty (yes the exhaust is not under warranty, but the (authorized Ducati) dealer checked and they said the engine was covered with the exhaust but (obviously) if the exhaust falls off they won't cover it. They would not say the same for any non-DP ECU or other unit which would put any engine warranty issues on very tenuous grounds).

So for approximately a $300 CAD difference from RB or PC with Dyno etc., I get to keep my warranty and have a bike that runs as it should...

Viva la Warranty!!

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
moto4us.com said:
So, you forgot to tell how much....and about 300CAD difference, that's a supposition.
BTW do you know that adjusting the mixture isn't enough ?
Al,
I haven't included pricing differences because I only know US prices and cannot be certain that pricing is the same across different countries. Also, would you expand on "adjusting the mixture isn't enough"? It's intriguing, but I don't understand to which system I should attribute it to. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
why cant you guys just use the proven solution given to you !!!!!!

put whatever exhaust on you want
buy a dp ecu for any 1000 ds (i fount 2 for under $200 each)
put a pciii on and get it dyno'd

it works no popping/ no bad idle /no muss no fuss. if you feel that you have to take it in for a warranty just take the pciii off

please stop the whining :p
if you are worried about the prices; look them up on the internet they are there and are not invisible.

if you are worried about the af mix then use a dynojet sniffer
if you hate dynojet then thats not my problem just yours
i don't work for them but their product is worldwide and they do their homework.

end of rant---------- go and ride

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
If you found a DP ecu for $200, let the rest of us know. I personally don't have an extra G sitting around burnig a hole in my pocket at this particular instant in time.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
gixracer said:
This is certainly a very good option, but different strokes...

For me the FIM route is tempting because I can ditch the immobilizer and use an aftermarket dash.
Also, RapidBike+O2 eliminator is likely a cost effective and more tunable option..

my 2 cents.

·
Registered
92 Posts
gixracer said:

it works no popping/ no bad idle /no muss no fuss. if you feel that you have to take it in for a warranty just take the pciii off

if you are worried about the prices; look them up on the internet they are there and are not invisible.

if you are worried about the af mix then use a dynojet sniffer
if you hate dynojet then thats not my problem just yours
i don't work for them but their product is worldwide and they do their homework.

Ebay? because I'm not seeing a ECU directly for sale anywhere else.

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Not even on ebay. Maybe in his dreams....

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
gixracer said:
Which Internet are you using? I'm probably just a big dummy, but I insist on using the WORLDWIDE WEB, and the DP ECU for DS motors doesn't seem to exist in this continuum for less than a stack. Please relieve me of my ignorance, and let me know where to send my check for 200 bones. Do they take Paypal?
End of question------go and surf.

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
I'm meeting more and more people I don't like. Add one more to the list.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Lets all tone it down a bit,

gixracer,
1) your first post in this thread looked like you bought a new ECU ($1300) like a few others have done. So people obviously balked at that a little.
2) I didn't know a previous DS1000 ECU would work with an s2r1000. I heard somewhere that they were physically different because others have asked about that in the past. I suspect many others didnt know as well.
3) Getting lucky on Ebay versus 2 day shipping from Motowheels or any website is a little different. If people could buy a DP ECU for $200 very easily or if PC3 for the stock ECU existed this would mostly be a non-issue. But I'll definitely keep an eye out on Ebay from now on. Thanks for that tip.
4) A lot of us are frustrated that a brand new bike would need an aftermarket part to correct a surging problem that shouldn't be there in the first place.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
didn't really mean to be an ass about it sorry guys
i did find 2 new unused ecu's on the internet in very short order.
ducati did screw us on the surging idle issue (i had no problems)
i just hate it when people whine about no solution when there is one given.
be kind to others and your dealer. they will help you; its in their best interest to do so.

good luck guys
find someone with any 1000ds system and ecu for cheap and then just off the system on ebay and keep the ecu. you would be amazed at how many people will just want the system.

21 - 40 of 320 Posts