Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Not ANOTHER battery thread!", right? At least this is good news.

My dealer tells me that a recall on the stock battery was announced by DNA late December. The replacement will be a YUASA.

Call your dealer for details.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Excellent!!!! ;D

·
Registered
170 Posts
Is there any more info on this? Is there a recall notice somewhere on the net that can be taken to the dealer? I checked the 'official' recalls on monsters (there are several recall sites that track recalls on all vehicles) and the only ones listed are the ones that most people know about:

2001 Ducati slave cylinder recall
m900 (for the year but later the 2k) fuel hoses.

Still no official battery recall on these sites.

Borg Girl

·
Registered
269 Posts
[smiley=applause.gif] [smiley=applause.gif] [smiley=applause.gif]Thanks Tom!

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I think I lucked out. I bought an 01 holdover a year ago. When I got it home, the bat was dead. The local dealer gave me a new one under warranty which seems to the replacement battery of choice. I know I still wrapped it in a heavy plastic bag anyhow just for insurance.

Reading the huge batter thread on this site it does seem to primarily hit the s4's but there were references to m900's having issues as well.

BTW, the slave cylinder recall mentioned. how can I tell if I have the fixed unit on my 01 M900??

G

·
Thsnks, Tom! As someone about to buy his first Ducati, I really appreciate your efforts to make it an even better bike. Great job!

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Ok, I don't want to beat this again, but if you don't go to 'one of those dealers', because you live in the middle of nowhere and you need proof that there's a recall; where would I find this information so that I would, theoretically, be armed with the information I need to have the battery replaced?
Thanks
T

·
Registered
170 Posts
I sent this to DNA

To whom it may concern,

I have been told that there is an official battery recall for GS batteries installed in S4's. My dealer does not seem to be aware of this. Could you please fax me a copy of the notice?

Thank you,

<signiture>

fax # 240-465-8155

>>>> This is what I received back...
>>>> Doesn't seem like an official recall to me :-/

Thank you for contacting Ducati. Unfortunately I am unable to provide you with the information you have requested. Please provide more details, such as the VIN number for your MS4, so that I can assist you properly. Or simply contact your local authorized Ducati dealer for assistance.

Again, thank you for contacting Ducati.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
Ducati North America
PH: 408-253-0499
FX: 408-253-4099

·
Banned
1,350 Posts
If your dealer is worth anything they will know about the recall. I had mine replaced 6 months ago "under warranty". That's the kind of dealer you should be taking your business to.

Concerning the recall. I think a big thanks to Tom M. (infoage) would be appropriate from all Monster owners. He is the one that posted the thread on this board that generated over 16,000 page views (second only to the babe thread

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Now I have had two yuasa batteries fail. The first one was arguably my fault (not enough charging). The last one was definetly not, it was a total POS. The battery just became an open circuit one day. So don't chear too loud yet.....

·
Registered
170 Posts
Futher correspondance with DNA today:

From me:

Dear Customer Service,

Thank you for your fast response. Here is my VIN ZDM1RB8S6XXXXXXXX
I was told by Monroe Motors that GS battery's are only being replaced after they start to leak (a little late then). I was told on January 7, 2004 on the DML list (Ducati Monster List) that the GS battery recall was official as of late December. Is this true or not?

Thank you,

<signiture>

>>>>>>>> this was the response:
Dear <signiture>,

Thank you for providing the additional information requested. At this time there is no official recall for GS batteries. I am sorry to report that you were misinformed and that your dealer is in fact correct. Your particular Monster did have a recall for the Clutch Slave Cylinder. This recall has been performed and there are no further recalls pending against this motorcycle.

Most customer service questions can be handled quickly and effectively by your local Ducati dealer. They are familiar with your area and your machine. Technical issues involving Ducati Motorcycles cannot be handled effectively via e-mail. The best solution to your issues are to have your questions addressed at an authorized Ducati Dealer.

Thank you for contacting Ducati North America.

Sincerely,

Customer Service

>>>>>>>>>>> Doesn't look like an official recall to me :'(

Borg Girl

·
Registered
216 Posts
Wait...so wat's the story on this? I'm tryin to find a "goodwill" dealer in my area to get this taken care of...wish me luck!!! Hope it applies to the M750S also :-[

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BHD, my friend.

Nothing against the Yuasa. They didn't have customers complaining about leaky batteries back then. Probably thought I was paranoid to be spending money for a battery.

·
Registered
849 Posts
BHD told me they'd never heard of leaking batteris on S4s and to just wait until mine leaks and to have everything fixed under warranty. This was during the first week of December '03 (last month) and right when I was about to take my bike there for its 12.000 mile service. I turned right around and fled the scene - seriously considering the long hike to Oceanside.

I'll give Ian a call Monday and see what he has to say about the battery now.

-R.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Sorry to say this BUT there has been no "OFFICIAL" bulletin that has been sent out to dealers. It has been discussed more than once with our service reps and they have not argued when we have replaced a battery that we found to be suspect.
If your dealer knows nothing about an official recall it's because there is no such thing ... yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts