Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried to put a main belt drive on a Ducati?

Seems doable.

I understand this may piss off the purists, but there are a lot of advantages of belt drives.

I tried searching, but all the hits were for the valve drives.

·
Registered
512 Posts
But if one were to do a belt conversion. Some of the questions I'd ask:

1) belt driven front sprocket (HD) compatible with Ducati splines?
2) front sprocket clearance issue? (ie overall diameter)
3) front sprocket clearance issue? (width -- will it clear the clutch slave?)
4) rear sprocket fitment to Brembo wheel / bearings?
5) swingarm clearance (as well as rear tire clearance) for extra width of belt?
6) can you find a belt with the correct length for the gearing you would like to run?

Do the measurements and order the parts -- definitely report on how it works.

A belt would probably be quieter in comparison to the chain/sprockets, but I can't hear it anyway over the exhaust / clutch noise to begin with.

For the cost of chains / sprockets -- I'd keep the setup as it is probably cheaper still long term.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
The belt drive system off of the smaller BMW's would be a better option than HD parts. Some of the F650s have belt drives, and the new 800cc parallel twins are belt drive. I imagine they would be more adaptable than cruiser parts.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Count Desmo said:
The belt drive system off of the smaller BMW's would be a better option than HD parts. Some of the F650s have belt drives, and the new 800cc parallel twins are belt drive. I imagine they would be more adaptable than cruiser parts.
hmmmmm

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
That's a mod' I would do, if it works out.

One thing we have now is a choice of front/rear sprockets allowing us to choose the final drive characteristic we want (15/41 on my bike vs 15/39 stock). There might not be as many choices, right now, for the belts. OTOH, if it works, there COULD be someone offering it.

Are you thinking SSS or DSS?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
iBike said:
That's a mod' I would do, if it works out.

One thing we have now is a choice of front/rear sprockets allowing us to choose the final drive characteristic we want (15/41 on my bike vs 15/39 stock). There might not be as many choices, right now, for the belts. OTOH, if it works, there COULD be someone offering it.

Are you thinking SSS or DSS?
DSS. I would do it to my bike.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Its a good idea , ther is a kit available for the new Triumph bonneville 900 and i have had no problems with belts on High Horsepower Buells.

BUT, there is not enough clearance on a Ducati Countershft for a belt sprocket, so an offset would be needed to clear the cases which would cause handling problems ,look unsightly and be expensive.

jerry

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I would definitely do it. My bike before my Duc was a Buell Blast. I hated it, except for the belt drive. Very responsive. Ducatis would [email protected] off the line with a belt drive.

I would imagine that if there's an issue, it would be a clearance problem.

-J

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
What are the advantages of a belt drive? Modern chains, like the DID that comes on the new Ducatis. are very efficient, extremely durable, and require almost no adjustment for 12,000 mi.

LA

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
#1 we could hear our clutches better with the belt than the chain.

#2 when belts wear, they don't take the "sprockets" with them, so you nearly always replace just the belt.

#3 the belts I've seen wear out, but don't stretch too much (and #2, don't eat into the sprockets), so adjustment is less frequent.

#4 the internal friction of a chain, therefore power loss, is a bit more than a belt.

BUT, belts are bulky to provide the strength, so, at least, the counter-shaft cover is different, and, since I haven't measured yet, it is possible that there may not be clearance for the rear drive inside the swingarm.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Go measure the distance from the chain to the swingarm and you'll find that there isn't room for even the narrowest belt. At least with the 750 you have a narrower tire, so part of the belt width could go on the inside. With the 5.5 inch rim and a 170 or 180 rear tire of the bigger Monsters, the chain is practically touching the rear tire as is.

It's the swingarm that will prevent the belt conversion. It might fit on a single sides swingarm Monster.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Another issue I would think would be the the front sprocket. Belt sprockets are larger diameter and there isn't much room for big front sprockets due to Ducati's case design.

I like the idea though. Quiet, clean, no adjustment - potentially.

Unfortunately, belts aren't free of issues, though. The belt on a BMW F800 requires adjustment. Buells have been known to eat belts, although there is some serious torque at work there. Care much be taken to never twist the belt, which can be hard to avoid during rear tire removal on Buells (for example.)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Finally we see the idea becoming a reality... Any info about who is making it?

It seems these guys are engineering belt drive conversion kits for other bikes also (there's a brochure for the Suzuki Bandit in the photo) :)

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
That's realy sweet but the SV650 kit is 1100 Euro. That's a lot of money, I'd rather buy suspension goodies for that much coin.

Scott

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
I have ridden belt driven four wheelers before. I was not happy with the power delivery.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
BastrdHK said:
I have ridden belt driven four wheelers before. I was not happy with the power delivery.
Are you sure you're not confusing belt drive with a CVT tranny? The only choices I know of for ATVs is chain or shaft but the CVT trannys have a belt. The power delivery of a CVT is definitely noticeably lacking the immediate power hit of a conventional gearbox.
Belt drive to the rear wheel would if anything be more immediate as there's no chain slack to take up.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
neamuu said:
check out this link, it's possible !!! [thumbsup]

http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/forum/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=107

hope there will be a conversion kit available soon
Interesting. I noticed that this set-up does not have a belt tensioner like The Buells. I know that all Ducs have a chain tensioning mechanism but with that AND a belt tensioner I think there would be enough range to allow for different gearing. It might also make it easyer to find a belt that fits.

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
Duc Duc Goose said:
Interesting. I noticed that this set-up does not have a belt tensioner like The Buells. I know that all Ducs have a chain tensioning mechanism but with that AND a belt tensioner I think there would be enough range to allow for different gearing. It might also make it easyer to find a belt that fits.
the buell tensioner is not what most people think. its sole purpose is to allow for a higher swing arm pivot, which would require the belt be significantly different lengths at full droop / compression. the idler is fixed and is not spring loaded, so as the suspension compresses the tensioner comes away from the belt. it's a pretty slick solution to one of the issues with using harley parts.

these belt kits make me slightly nervous for their lack of any type of tensioner / idler. how can you set the belt with the proper unloaded tension, 30mm (or whatever) of free movement, and expect it to work well? chains can be set much looser than a cogged belt without slipping.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts