Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
I know some of the following has been discussed on the main/ly (usa) board, but I'd like a local opinion.
I searched the Oz board last night from stem to stern, but thought bugger it, I'll just ask.

1) Recommended chain lube that doesn't mess up everything?
I'm currently using Motul Road but it gets a bit messy. I do apply with a rag behind the chain so as to not overspray,and after the chain is warm, ie riden. I used to use a Bel Ray lube on my WRF dirt bike that came out white and stuck well, ie no mess. Is their a road equivilent? suggestions?

2) Bike cleaner, ie degreaser or ?? to get all the road grime off pipes, shocky , engine etc?

3) How to keep those white wheels clean (agh!!!!) I'm currently using WD40. works OK, any better?
Maybe painting them black down the track! [laugh]
4) Should I drop the oil every 5000K's or just wait till the 10000K service interval?
The dealer said if it was his bike he would, but other mates reckon synthetic oils are so good these days you shouldn't have to and just do it at 10000K/s

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Heh, you want some opinions? I'm full of them... (Just ask Melvin!)

nitrox said:
1) Recommended chain lube that doesn't mess up everything?
I'm a big fan of Maxima chain wax. See Chris Kelleys advice on chain cleaning/lubing here:
http://www.ducatitech.com/info/chain.html

2) Bike cleaner, ie degreaser or ?? to get all the road grime off pipes, shocky , engine etc?
I use WD40 for small stuff, and CT20 truckwash when I'm doing a full on clean.

3) How to keep those white wheels clean (agh!!!!) I'm currently using WD40. works OK, any better?
Paint them. Preferably paint the front wheel in "brake dust grey", and the read wheel in "chain lube fling mottled grey"... I'm told that using a wax based polish on them (any good quality carnuba wax) helps stop crap sticking on them ans makes them easier to clean... I've never tried it myself...

4) Should I drop the oil every 5000K's or just wait till the 10000K service interval?
I drop mine every 5k - it's cheap and its good insurance (and it makes me feel good "babying" my bike). Your mates are right, synthetic oil will last a lot longer than that, but the oil breakdown isn't the only issue, there's also contamination to deal with. I guess it's less of a problem for dry-clutch motors, but the wet clutches aren't real nice to the oil... And _all_ monsters seem to suffer from condensation - that milky grime in the oil sight glass whenever the bike gets cold...

big

·
Registered
446 Posts
bigiain said:
Full clean pfffffffft when ?? I aint ever seen your duc clean [laugh] It was looking pretty grime-eeee this morning...

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
i nused to use maxima but got a bit pissed off when two cans in a row had no pressure in them, bought some torco chain wax in desperation and have been happy since.
meguiars to wash and wax it, wax the wheels too, mr sheen works well on chain lube and brake dust but white wheels SUCK! they stay clean for about 5 minutes and no matter how clean the bike is, dirty white wheels are all people see. for this, check out my bike.
cheers,
paul.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
178 Posts
I get my Maxima chain wax from the kawka shop on/@ Moss st Springwood $10.75
it's good stuff [thumbsup]

Rickoz

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
bigiain said:

big
I 2nd the Ct20 truck wash...I spray it on the bike at night and wash it in the morning ..good stuff [thumbsup]

Lillith said:
Full clean pfffffffft when ?? I aint ever seen your duc clean [laugh]

I 2nd that too [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
loony888 said:
meguiars to wash and wax it, wax the wheels too, mr sheen works well on chain lube and brake dust but white wheels SUCK! they stay clean for about 5 minutes and no matter how clean the bike is, dirty white wheels are all people see. for this, check out my bike.
Love the blue rims! I kept mine white (Mine's blue like yours), but wax them every time I clean the chain and it seems to keep the grime and dust from piling up.

Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Love the blue rims Paul (loony).
Got me thinking down the track my wheels may end up gloss black.
When I saw the pic of PaulC's bike with pipes, his is same colour as mine black&white, but with black wheels, got me thinking.
Where did you get em done if you don't mind me asking?

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
you're a brissie boy too nitrox???
if so, go see bevan at eurotwins (07 3715 5088) i went o/s and left my bike with him, he arranged the paint job and the rims were machined afterwards. they have a real sharp edge and the machining job was so good there was no polishing required.

thanks for the compliments too guys. ;D

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you're a brissie boy too nitrox???

Yep live in Sth East burbs, Carindale. So does RickOz.
I look forward to seeing your machine in the flesh soon.
I've got a mate who just bought a 37 foot yacht and my wife and myself are out in it this weekend.
Hence my Friday trip.

Thanks for the tip on bevan.
I've heard good things about him and I intend getting him to do my 10000K and beyond serviceing.
Now I gota get me some pipes to get that noise I want to here.

cheers

G

·
Lillith said:
Full clean pfffffffft when ?? I aint ever seen your duc clean [laugh] It was looking pretty grime-eeee this morning...
and I'll 3rd it! I was going to say that CT20 must be outa stock a lot around your way big [clap]

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
goldFiSh said:
and I'll 3rd it! I was going to say that CT20 must be outa stock a lot around your way big [clap]
Nah, there's _heaps_ of CT20 around, its the tradeoff between riding time and washing the bike time that results in the current state of affairs...

big (and I haven't even got much riding time right now!)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
White wheels are alot of work.

I`ve been thinking what would go with my bike as almost everything is red.

I thought red spokes and polished rims or all red or black spokes with polished rims or just black.

Any opinions out there?

Rob

·
Registered
972 Posts
Yeah Rob, I've got an opinion................ er .............. oh yes here it is .....cough!.......cough! gosh its dusty, anyway, how about you send them to electromold and get them polished and anodised red.

Mmick

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
i'd go with black rims with polished edges (of course!) but if you are doing them all black, some red rim tape would set em off nice. i think red is a bit bright to have bodywork, frame, and wheels the same. just my opinion tho...... ::)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.