Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.
I have an odd problem on my 2007 695 Monster.
50% of the time it will not start, the key is in and bike it set to on, bike is in neutral and kickstand is up.
But when I press the starter button, there is NO sound, NOT even the click you get when battery is bad.
The battery is fine and fully charged.
Here's the odd part. If I roll the bike a few feet, and try again it starts fine, not even a stutter. Start is strong and crisp.
I'm guessing one of the sensors is bad. AT first I though it might be the kickstand switch, but I've disconnected that now.
I'm wondering what other sensor would interrupt the starting cycle>
If anyone has any ideas, please let me know
Thanks

Regards
K

·
Super Moderator
3,592 Posts
If you disconnected the kickstand switch did you jumper the wires?

A loose ground/battery wire can give you that symptom. I had a bike once that would fire up all day every time if I wasn't sitting on it. I'd get it warmed up and put my gear on. Once I was ready I would sit on the bike and lift the kickstand and the bike would quit immediately.

I had to do this once in the dark and I saw where the spark was and realized it was where the ground strap connected to the frame from the battery.

·
Registered
775 Posts
My ‘07 had the zip ties holding the wiring harness too close to connectors making bad connections. I cut all the zip ties and pushed the wires back into every connector from both sides. If they did it on mine, they could have done it on yours.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you disconnected the kickstand switch did you jumper the wires?

A loose ground/battery wire can give you that symptom. I had a bike once that would fire up all day every time if I wasn't sitting on it. I'd get it warmed up and put my gear on. Once I was ready I would sit on the bike and lift the kickstand and the bike would quit immediately.

I had to do this once in the dark and I saw where the spark was and realized it was where the ground strap connected to the frame from the battery.
I used a jumper, but when that didn't solve it, I plugged it back into the harness.
The battery wires were tight.

Do you remember where the ground strap was located?

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My ‘07 had the zip ties holding the wiring harness too close to connectors making bad connections. I cut all the zip ties and pushed the wires back into every connector from both sides. If they did it on mine, they could have done it on yours.
I'll check that, thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,592 Posts
The battery connections are the first place I would have checked. After that follow the wires with your hand.

With it wanting to start after pushing it a few feet the next place I think I would check is the neutral safety switch.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Is there also a switch at the clutch lever?, ie. bike will not crank unless clutch pulled in?
Not sure what year this was introduced? well, here in Aus.
Out in the weather maybe, check it's not sticking, pushing the bike, working clutch lever, braking, somehow frees it up.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dodgy Crank Position Sensor/ "Engine Sensor"? Does the Neutral light come on reliably? Maybe the sensor for that is flaky...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The battery connections are the first place I would have checked. After that follow the wires with your hand.

With it wanting to start after pushing it a few feet the next place I think I would check is the neutral safety switch.
So far it traced out fine. battery connections were good, as new battery was put in.
Ground wires look OK too
I suspect a sensor now

1 - 11 of 11 Posts