Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I planning on buying another motorcycle after a 3 year break. I have a Kypronite chain from the late 90's and don't know if technology has advance much. Does anyone know of any 3rd party motorcycle chain protection comparison/evaluuation?

Searches on the board suggests that ABUS and Kyp. are popular.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
The current issue of Ride (British mag) has a couple of articles on security. And if you can find a back issue of Bike (Another Brit mag) they had a good comparo of locks in the last few months. Sorry, can't tell you which issue, a friend has that pile of mags.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Cyen said:
I planning on buying another motorcycle after a 3 year break. I have a Kypronite chain from the late 90's and don't know if technology has advance much. Does anyone know of any 3rd party motorcycle chain protection comparison/evaluuation?

Searches on the board suggests that ABUS and Kyp. are popular.

Thanks!
The top rated lock in the British motorcycling press for the past couple of years had been the Squire SS50, but it's pretty hard to find in the U.S. The best lock that's widely available is the Kryptonite "Fahgettaboudit" which uses their strongest disk lock with a 6 sided reinforced chain that is even stronger than a New York noose chain. They are not cheap however and usually run between $119-$140.

No matter how good a lock is it will not withstand power tools however, and you should only count on these two locks against hand tools. Also how you use the lock is extremely important-use the whole chain and don't let it or the lock touch the ground where they are easier to manipulate or damage.

Best bike protection you can hope for: disk lock at both wheels,a chain lock through the frame/rear wheel to something solid, and a plain bike cover over the whole thing. Unless they are patient and have lots of time this will deter most thieves.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.