Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Oahu Ducati Riders

65K views 1K replies 18 participants last post by  FiveOhBait 
#1 ·
This is very rough guys. I haven't figured out how to get a club listing heading yet and as this is the first post here it'll have to do. I know we haven't got an official local club name yet so we might have to deal with a temporary name until we get one that everyone agrees on.

I just think we should be able to have our own spot without having to leech off of the "General Monster Forum" threads. Not everyone wants to read out stuff. Of course they don't have to click on it if they don't want to but still......... let's see how this goes, if it goes at all.

#2 ·
+ idea Mac. [clap]
On that note, I'm starting to see that materializing a local club isn't necessarily hard work, but it does require a great deal of coordination and patience.
Most of you have been around a lot longer than I, and I'm sure that you've all seen your share of wide-eyed dreamers who have
tried to set something up in the past and failed. That being said, it's not something that I can do entirely on my own. I could certainly try, but I don't want
this to be a labor of love that rests solely upon my shoulders. The Monster Mash was a preliminary test of sorts, meant to gauge interest in the community, and I think
we would all agree that there is a great local base out there to build upon. Ive been able to forge some ties, secure financing through the dealership
for necessary expenses, get the green light from the Ducati rep. etc etc....so essentially the groundwork is laid.
As far as a name and all of that is concerned, Ranilo and I were discussing, the next "Big Ride" -we will have some sort of ballots set up, and have the masses
vote on the name/logo combination they like best. That seems to be the biggest obstacle in the way right now, after that, the rest is somewhat procedural in nature.
Some of you have offered your web services prior, and when the time comes, I hope the offer still stands.
I know Mac has addressed the complexities of orchestrating a simple weekend ride, and I guess that is the nature of the beast. Hopefully a website with a
database and mailing list will simplify the process.
Some of you have offered your web services prior, and when the time comes, I hope the offer still stands.

So are you guys on board? The floor is open....

#3 ·
for this sunday, Mac, why don't you select the route. I'm up for anything having been in bed all of last weekend. I'd love to see the 999.

Chad, I'm down with the club. I'll stop by or call for next steps. I'm meeting with the graphic artist I told you about tomorrow. I gave him a brief overview of Ducati design cues. I'm eager to see what he comes up with. I asked him to go with an "island monster" theme, although I'm sure the club will cover desmos of all types.

#4 ·
yo!

ok, so sunday? I hopehopehope to run away from work... it's been a nightmare this week :-\

10am at the park soundds good, and yeah, as much as the lap is a bit of alright, I would rather be scootin' >:D

of course, w/an early enough start on a sunday, you can scoot 'round the north/east shores. lordy, is it fun seeing kahuku/laie/etc. in a really blurry fashion

and I'm sure a club would work itself out. I think the trick is to be organized enough for it to be kinda, y'know, loosey-goosey. too much structure and it can be a handful (been there w/the car thing... not fun...)

#5 ·
10 am at the park is good --- we can run some nice laps from there and I guess we'll kind of play it by ear ...... I owe Teddy lunch anyway [thumbsup]

Yep, going 'round the north side isn't all that bad but we'd have to be hittin' it early (like 6 or 7 am) 'cause it doesn't take much traffic to shut it down. You know that once there are a few slow cars out there that can kill it for miles unless we take some extra chances.

As far as the club goes I think we ought to work on a large group ride every 3 or 4 months to start with just to see how things go. Outside of the 4 of us that hang out here from time to time I didn't get the sense that most of the other riders even knew about the DML. When I handed out a couple of cards the other guys thought they were my personal business cards and I was networking. When I tried to explain about how it was a Monster oriented forum, chat group, blog, whatever, they all got a weird "huh?" look on their faces. Somehow I think that if we could wake them up to this place we might start to generate more group interest. Of course if the dealer would kick in and offer test drives on a S4Rs, a 1098 and a Hypermotard there'd be a whole boatload of more interest. Hint -- Hint --- Hint ;D

Anyway, start slow and steady and they will come. In the meantime the regular bros are just fine to ride with. [thumbsup]

#8 ·
I'll be on a different type of an Italian 2 wheel machine that day.

We weren't the only group to have a ride interruption last Sunday. Apparently someone in one of the larger sportbike groups went down on the Pali hairpin. All kinds of bikes and ambulances were jamming the lookout at the turn. Not good. I'll take a mechanical any time.

#11 ·
how early is early for you guys? I can easily see myself road-bound by 8 [cheeky]

but, I usually wake up at 4 on work days... I'm a freak like that.

the two of y'all can hash it out and just LMK, I'm headed out the door in a bit

#12 ·
8 is totally do-able for me... I'm usually at work around 4 as well. If that's too early, I can go a little later, but not TOO much later. Eh, who am I kidding. I'm pretty free. But 8 still sounds cool.

Was that unnecessarily long?

#13 ·
so... I'm thinking that car on sunday might have been a carrera GT... I know there is one on the island. otherwise, it might have been a McLaren, since it has that touring wing, too...

I knew I shoulda stopped to look >:D

#16 ·
Let's just hope you have your handlebars / master cylinder mods done by then. [cheeky]

Is anyone able to make up a flyer to stuff into parked Ducatis?

#17 ·
I know this is short notice, I just found out last night myself, but....if any of you guys are in the Schofield area today between 10 - 4, swing by the car show at tropics. Ill be at the South Seas Display, and they gave me alot of Ducati stuff to give out. I'll hook you fellow Ducatistas up. [thumbsup]

#18 ·
Ahh, the hookup is always sweet! ;D

I like the idea of another big ride. I'm currently scheduled to be here til the end of August (not that my sched can't change at any time, of course). I'm down with whatever, and happy to help if I can.

#19 ·
Mac900 said:
Let's just hope you have your handlebars / master cylinder mods done by then. [cheeky]

Is anyone able to make up a flyer to stuff into parked Ducatis?
shoosh. :-*

my 'rents have a color printer... and there's always kinko's... but anyway, I still vote for earlier roll-out and longer route. what day should we do it?

any of you guys make it to chad's swag hand-out? I was working :(

#20 ·
You really need a better hobby for Sundays than working. Thanks to Chad, I now have a sweet new Ducati in the living room (albeit in 1:15 scale).

My wifey used to be a graphic designer, if we're concerned with pretty for fliers, etc. I'm sure I could enlist her help with a bribe of, say, shutting up for 15 minutes. Studies at the University of Scranton show that the world is a better place when tristo is quiet. :-X

#21 ·
it's tough... I just can't help it. I'm like pavlov's dogs... ::)

yoyodyne had all the extra bits I needed, so if all goes well I'll be flossin' my **** soon >:D

so how's the weekend of the 18th sound for the ride? iirc, that'll be just before school starts up again

#22 ·
That's enough notice for the usual suspects but a larger group ride may take a little more time to organize. Or maybe not. I'm sure there are folks that are on the Ducati.ms group and the Speedzilla group that don't read over here. I'll post some notices over there and we'll see what happens. Organize it just enough to make it happen and let it go from there.........

#23 ·
I'm pretty much just thinking like how chad did the 1st one... date and time, but at least have more of a route in mind before we start. [thumbsup] the last ride was most excellent, but I'd be down for a longer day or ridin, y'know?

and wtf is w/my post count? OMG! I'm a n00b! teh suXorZ! [cheeky]

#24 ·
the 19th is good for me. Im afraid if we have it on a Saturday, the turnout won't be as good. Most rides go down on Sunday anyways. How does 11 sound? Ill start putting out phone calls and whatnot to the community. I think a month + notice should be more than sufficient for everyone.
Ive got a flyer already made out, I can just plug in the date and time. Should be able to make it down to Kinkos this week and get a handful printed off. I can also e-mail the high resolution flyer to whomever wants it for purposes of handing them out....
If you guys want to be in charge of planning a route....please, by all means be my guest. [thumbsup]

edited to upload flyer

Attachments

#25 ·
yups, sunday is good for me, too... gives me a chance to work that weekend [cheeky] if get.

oh! anyone know how much brake fluid I'm gonna need for both MCs? one bottle?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.