Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 1,024 Posts
it's tough... I just can't help it. I'm like pavlov's dogs... ::)

yoyodyne had all the extra bits I needed, so if all goes well I'll be flossin' my **** soon >:D

so how's the weekend of the 18th sound for the ride? iirc, that'll be just before school starts up again

Discussion starter · #22 ·
That's enough notice for the usual suspects but a larger group ride may take a little more time to organize. Or maybe not. I'm sure there are folks that are on the Ducati.ms group and the Speedzilla group that don't read over here. I'll post some notices over there and we'll see what happens. Organize it just enough to make it happen and let it go from there.........

I'm pretty much just thinking like how chad did the 1st one... date and time, but at least have more of a route in mind before we start. [thumbsup] the last ride was most excellent, but I'd be down for a longer day or ridin, y'know?

and wtf is w/my post count? OMG! I'm a n00b! teh suXorZ! [cheeky]

the 19th is good for me. Im afraid if we have it on a Saturday, the turnout won't be as good. Most rides go down on Sunday anyways. How does 11 sound? Ill start putting out phone calls and whatnot to the community. I think a month + notice should be more than sufficient for everyone.
Ive got a flyer already made out, I can just plug in the date and time. Should be able to make it down to Kinkos this week and get a handful printed off. I can also e-mail the high resolution flyer to whomever wants it for purposes of handing them out....
If you guys want to be in charge of planning a route....please, by all means be my guest. [thumbsup]

edited to upload flyer

Attachments

yups, sunday is good for me, too... gives me a chance to work that weekend [cheeky] if get.

oh! anyone know how much brake fluid I'm gonna need for both MCs? one bottle?

Discussion starter · #27 ·
August the 12th and the 19th are both Sundays. I think one of those days should be the day we shoot for.

BTW -- I think it's very cool that we made it to page two on this thread. Thanks to all!

I could do the 12th, too... already off that week, and I plan on being on the bike more than not, anyway [thumbsup]

Hello all. New poster and new addition on the island. I moved here about two months ago from Germany and am looking to join the Ducati world. So with that in mind, I would like to ask if any of you bought your bikes from the local dealer here in Honolulu. If so, were you able to get them to come down on the price at all? I was originally looking at buying a friends 996 that he has for sale, but it needs some work done to it and I am not really sure if I want to buy into a project. Also, I am thinking that might be a bit much of a bike to have here on the island and as such am thinking of picking up a smaller Monster instead. So with that in mind, what are you guys riding? ;)

Discussion starter · #30 ·
We ride a wide range of Ducati's here. A lot of folks did buy their bikes from the dealer. "Urban" (Chad) works there as a salesman. Deals? You're on your own there. That's something you have to work out at the time you're buying. Nothing works better than being serious at the time you are in the deal. There are also some nice bikes that show up from time to time on Craig's List. What to get? Hey, depends on what you like and what riding you're going to do. Air Cooled are the most practical. Slow moving traffic is hell on the water cooled bikes. My 900 Monster is a great all around bike. There is no logical reason for me to have a 999 here except that it is a serious blast to ride. I do try to stay out of town with it though and it wouldn't like a 35 mph cruise around the North Shore. If I can maintain 50 mph (and above >:D) it's a lot happier. The 996 would be similar. So........

In any case, Welcome to the gang & I hope you get your Duck soon!

Ben,
Hello and welcome to the DML. If you swing by the dealership, we have a red on red 695 and a black on black s2r 800 currently on the floor. Both would be ideal for riding on the island (see Mac's post). As far as pricing goes.... I haven't seen too many Duc's get discounted on the basis that we only get "X" amount per year but...but I have seen it happen before. If you swing in and ask for me [chad], I just might be able to say the right words to the sales manager to work up a deal for you. Can't make any guarantees, but what have you got to lose?...With a bit of luck you'll be able to make it out with us for this next big ride in August on a shiny new Monster. [thumbsup]

Hey guys, thanks for the input, and the welcome! Mac, I agree with you about the superbikes being a bit much for around here. The first time I got any exposure to them was while I was living in Europe, my neighbor in England had a 998R, and the just left one hell of an impression on me. But after being here for a while I started to realize that it was most likely a bit too focused for me to have as a daily rider.

Chad, what days do you normally work? I have been down to the dealer already, twice actually, and have spoken with Bill Kato about a few things. I have to say that I did not get that much of a warm fuzzy from dealing with him; almost seemed like he would rather spend his time dealing with people looking to buy rice rockets than me. Oh well, I will probably wait for when you are down there to come by again. I saw both of the bikes that you guys have on the floor, and while I almost think that all Ducs HAVE TO BE RED, I found myself a bit more drawn towards the 800; I think due to the fact that I love the single sided swingarm more than anything. Either way though, I will be looking to make a move soon. Both the bank and the boss (wife) have given their approval and I need to act fast before the latter changes her mind. ;)

bupton said:
Chad, what days do you normally work?
Well, I will be working pretty much the rest of the week from noon to 7p.m. as well as open to close on the weekends. If you need to set up an appointment outside of those hours, we could do that too. If anything, just give me a call at work to make sure that I'll be there when you come in. (836-1144 ext. 105) I'd be more than happy to help you out. [thumbsup]

island_duc said:
I can make the 18th.
Can you do the 12th instead?
I just want to make sure that everyone is in agreement on a date before I head off to Kinko's and drop $20 on flyers only to have the wrong day printed off.

Cool, sounds good to me Chad. I might just come in some time tomorrow afternoon. I am currently working nights, and do not go back to work until Friday night (doesn't that just suck) but I still cannot bring myself to get out of bed during the morning. ;)

One question for you, Bill said he was going to talk to the owner and see if there was a way you guys could let me take one of those bikes out for a test spin, but I have not heard anything back from him. Do you think that could get worked out somehow?

aloha, new guy! [thumbsup]

I have the resident chick bike (620)... and, just like everyone else, I think SBKs are a bit excessive. but I still want one. when I can ride like a god, that is... :-\

bought mine new, from bill, actually, back in '05...

and yes, buy now! ride w/us! mod w/us! and suffer the consequences! >:D >:D >:D

lol Last thing I need is another toy to mod. If you could only see my list of "things to upgrade". ;) Anyhow, one question for you guys. I cannot find my MSF certificate around here anywhere and need to find out where I can go to get set up in another course. I checked on their website and they do not list any training here in Hawaii. Is the military the only place I can go for this?

bupton said:
I cannot find my MSF certificate around here anywhere and need to find out where I can go to get set up in another course. I checked on their website and they do not list any training here in Hawaii.
The state of Hawaii offers a MSF course out of Leeward Community College. I have the contact info @ work, just remind me and I'll give it to you whenever you swing by.

Well, as I found out when I tried to get my stickers to get on base. Leeward offers A motorcycle safety class, but it is NOT the MSF sponsored class. It's a similar program, but sanctioned by the state.

No matter, you get the insurance discount. It's just that if you want to get on base, you have to have an official MSF card. Believe me, I found out the hard way!

Ok, so where did you go to get the official one? Do they offer a course on the base? And does this apply to PH as well was Hickam?

island_duc said:
Well, as I found out when I tried to get my stickers to get on base. Leeward offers A motorcycle safety class, but it is NOT the MSF sponsored class. It's a similar program, but sanctioned by the state.

No matter, you get the insurance discount. It's just that if you want to get on base, you have to have an official MSF card. Believe me, I found out the hard way!
eh? since when? I got the MSF card from the basic class at LCC... twice, in fact. the last time there were a bunch of army/AF riders who needed to take that class on their own bikes so they could ride on base, and I was able to reg my bike at pearl w/my card.

???

DoN also has their own BRC/ERC-type classes at sand island, but they're not that often (but, are free for military)

21 - 40 of 1,024 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.