Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Re: O.K. so what do you think of the front sprocke

Dang Bill!! I guess we aint ridin on Sunday, huh?

·
Premium Member
540 Posts

The word for that down under is "Rooted!"

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

O.K. so I just went and checked out my chain. It is a DID 520 ERV2 which according to Ca-cycleworks is the best damn chain you can buy. When I bought the bike the guy told me It was a new chain. I think he replaced the chain on already worn (13,000 mi.) sprockets and did not keep it tight enough. I am still holding on to the hope I can keep my chain, its a $140 chain and I cant afford all my parts Ive got at powder coat much less two new sprockets and a chain. I am thinking of going 14/41 so I can gear down and keep the stock chain length.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

IMHO, both of your sprockets should be mounted on a plaque and hung on the wall, with a small engraved plate: "Courtesy of (insert P.O.'s name here)". The P.O. didn't give your Duc a good home.

Also, IMHO that chain is thrashed, running on sprockets that far gone tortures it severely. Doesn't matter how good of a chain that was on 'em, those sprockets would ruin any chain.

Buy yourself some peace of mind with new parts.

Just my recommendation, DTM, I'm not slaggin' ya.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I know what I need to do, and your right. I just keep tryin to talk myself out of the inevitable. Looks like Ill be spendin about $250 in the very near future. I have been fixing problems that were caused by the poor maintenance the PO did for 4 months. The sad part is the guy said he was a race tech and had a M750, a 998 and two dirt bikes in his garage! His garage was spotless and super organized. You should see mine its a mess! At least I take care of my bikes. The bastard!

·
Banned
3,931 Posts

One of the drawbacks of buying a used bike is finding out all of the stupid things the previous owner(s) did. I'm still fixing little odds and ends on my ST2, but at least I knew to expect it, since it's a salvage bike and the guy I bought it from bought it from the one who "restored" it. I knew it was going to need some help when the owner was riding it to my house for me (broken hand, remember) and I could see in my rearview mirror that the back wheel was almost two inches off to the side of the front. :(

With some loving care it's turned into a pretty decent machine, but I'll probably always consider it to be a beater.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I dont know, if its the stock one its got 14,000

1 - 12 of 12 Posts