Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I get home today and find a renewal letter from my insurance company. The bastards doubled my rate for 2007 with no explanation ($1200 - $2400/yr no collision). I called to find out what was going on and agent tells me that they have reclassified the S2R1000 as a supersport. I laughed at the guy and told him he obviously knows nothing about the products he is insuring. Anyways, to make a long story short his advice to me was sell the bike if I'm not happy with the high cost of insurance.

Anyone have a recommendation on an insurance company in Ontario, Canada?

BTW, the previous insurer was Kinetix/Kingsway. If any of you use them watch out for a nice fat increase in your premiums from these greedy pigs

-j

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I knew this day would come. It was only a matter of time before they started considering Monsters sport bikes. Sorry to hear it arrived so soon.

I'm with Jevco and my rates aren't that bad - I have a proper "supersport", and I'm under 25. Jevco seems to be the better company to go with around here, I assume they are the same in Ontario. Plus they cover you for incidentals like modifications, helmets and gear with their comprehensive package. Primmum is your other option but I never got great service from them.

JC

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
NeufUnSix said:
Primmum is your other option but I never got great service from them.
I haven't had to file a claim with Primmum so I have no firsthand experience with them in that regard. However, they've been fine to deal with so far - they take my money every year without a whimper.
[cheeky]

I now insure all my vehicles with them.

Edit - they gave me a discount (something like 20-25%; can't remember exactly) for taking an MSF course.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Kinda makes me feel guilty paying $163 for full coverage [laugh]
If the rates ever got that high for a Monster, I would indeed sell it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
yes go with StateFarm that's who i'm with, and they were by far the cheapest. [thumbsup] I was getting quotes in the 4-5 k range. StateFarm insured me with full coverage for $1300. They dont' insure on the make of bike, they only insure on CC of the bike. So it doesn't matter if you ride a Rocket or a moped, it all goes by CC

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I use State Farm here in Ontario. My '06 620D currently around $912 for the year with full coverage. They might give me a little better price though as my car and house is with them. Check it out though. Did you try any of the insurers from the Ducati Owners of Canada list or CCA?

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
If you're an alumni at any of the major universities, or part of a professional organization, you can always try TD Meloche Monnex (http://www.melochemonnex.com/). I have my 06 S2R800 insured with them for about $1400/yr for full coverage (I haven't had a full year policy yet since I bought my bike near the end of the season). I'm not sure if they've blacklisted the S2R1K though.

I tried State Farm, but due to the fact that I have two minor speeding tickets on my record, I wouldn't have qualified for their "A" plan (preferential rates). Their "B" plan rates were virtually identical to TD's. One more thing to note about State Farm - once you're in one of their two plans, you stay there for 3 years. If you have a clean record, it's great, but if you have a ticket which is about to disappear off your record within a year or two, and you sign up with State Farm, you'll be stuck in their "B" plan - even if you have a perfect record. One other thing I found about State Farm is that their car rates were crazy.

You could always try Riders Plus - I checked their blacklist (http://www.ridersplus.com/sportbike.html) and the S2R1K isn't listed.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Burt69er said:
I use State Farm here in Ontario. My '06 620D currently around $912 for the year with full coverage. They might give me a little better price though as my car and house is with them. Check it out though. Did you try any of the insurers from the Ducati Owners of Canada list or CCA?
Do you have the name/number of someone at Statefarm I could contact.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I'm in Quebec, and my insurance company is PAFCO. Got it through a broker. Way cheaper than anything else. $320/year for theft/fire/vandalism (no collision). I'm a new rider, so I think this makes it even more expensive than if I had been riding for a few years. For the record, I'm 28 y.o., and the bike is a 2003 800 dark.

As of now, only the Monster is insured with them, but at renewal time, I'll see what their rates are for my other insurance needs...

Simon

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
It's nearly impossible to meet State Farm's criteria. I have a flawless record, no accidents, no tickets, Young Driver's, MSF, etc... But because I'm under 25 and male I'm screwed. I could never even get a quote from them, because they told me flat out they just wouldn't insure me.

For comparison I pay 1500$ tax in for comprehensive through Jevco. I'm 20 and I have a '97 916. I'm pretty sure a Monster should cost less than that, even if it is newer.

BUT there are other criteria for certain companies, like the statistical probability that the bike will be involved in an accident. Thus, any bike that sells more will be more likely to be involved in an accident - the Monster is Ducati's top seller, and is considered a higher risk bike as a result. I got screwed when I had an SV650, because it was such a common bike that the rates were high just for the statistical reasons. For comparison, I was quoted 1900$ comprehensive through Primmum on my SV. How can it cost more to insure an SV than a Ducati superbike? Answer above.

My father is an insurance adjuster, that's why I know all these horrible truths.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a relative that sells for state farm.
She advised me to work with Progressive on my motorcycle.
I compared rates & found that they (progressive) were 200 bucks a year cheaper than State Farm.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
wow...i thought new jersey was the worst for ins rates. now i know somewhere else i will never move.

i pay about 1200 a yr for car, and 2 bikes.

I'm also 28 and have a fairly clean record. 1 accident(2 yrs ago), and 1 speeding ticket (about 10 yrs ago)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SAducati said:
I have a relative that sells for state farm.
She advised me to work with Progressive on my motorcycle.
I compared rates & found that they (progressive) were 200 bucks a year cheaper than State Farm.
As far as I know we do not have Progressive in Canada...

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
bunner74 said:
I guess it's true what they say about American math skills...so sad [thumbsup]
see, i was trying to be nice and not blame it all on the stupid cold air you guys keep sending down here.

anyways, even in USD that's still a lot for a motorcyle only.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
KnightofNi II said:
see, i was trying to be nice and not blame it all on the stupid cold air you guys keep sending down here.

anyways, even in USD that's still a lot for a motorcyle only.
arrrg...don't even get me started on the weather.

$2400 insurance for a vehicle that can only be used 5 months of the year. Does that make sense to anyone?? And you wonder why there is so much insurance fraud. I have no sympathy for them...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts