Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I'm in the process of getting motorcycle insurance for NYC. A quick price comparison suggests Geico is cheaper by ~$65 per year (~4% cheaper). Any thoughts on the service (claims and otherwise) each provides? Any other suggestions on tri-state insurers?

Thanks!

E

·
0 Posts
Not sure if State Farm does NY but it's worth a look. I have them and pay < $800 for 2 fully insured bikes.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
geico was like 2x as much as progressive for me. i have full coverage btw. pay about 880 a year.

when getting quotes from progressive i was asked like 5 questions and that was it. geico on the other hand asked a ton. im guessing some of my answers didnt fair well with geico whereas progressive didnt even bother to ask them.

fortunately i havent had any claims thus far so i cant comment on how well they handle that.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I use Sentry insurance.

When I was shopping, I tried Geico, Progressive, State farm, All state, Sentry, and others I don't even remember the name of. In total I compared roughly 8 insurance companies and Sentry was the cheapest.

So far customer service on the phone has been fine, but I haven't had any reason to call them a lot.

As far as claims are concerned I haven't needed to file one yet, so I can't tell you how they are in that department.

Something that is strange about them is they don't insure cars in NYC only motorcycles. Go figure.

Here's their link http://www.sentry.com/

Good luck [thumbsup]

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have motorsport. They were the cheapest quote by far. Not sure how they are in terms of service, since I have not had to call them. But can't beat the price (830 for the year and I have a S2R 2005)... and if you do, please let me know.

·
Registered
343 Posts
takin into account the probability of gettin into an accident (1:1020 of death) and the sheer necessity of insurance, it may be best just going with the bigger, but pricier insurance company such as Progressive/Geico over the smaller lesser known company....tat being said I have no insurance right now...hehe...but will be on the hunt soon as well...

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick update:
So far Sentry (Diaryland) is offering the best deal (they even mailed me a 25 page booklet on motorcycle safety). Geico and Progressive is ~7% ($100/yr) more expensive. State Farm and All State requires car insurance before accepting motorcycling insurance. I have not found brokers to be helpful in that I can usually get a slightly better deal going direct for the same policy (guess they have to take their cut as well)

I may chase down Nova in the coming days and will post my findings.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
CDawg said:
Quick update:
So far Sentry (Diaryland) is offering the best deal (they even mailed me a 25 page booklet on motorcycle safety). Geico and Progressive is ~7% ($100/yr) more expensive. State Farm and All State requires can insurance before accepting motorcycling insurance. I have not found brokers to be helpful in that I can usually get a slightly better deal going direct for the same policy (guess they have to take their cut as well)

can insurance could be tricky [cheeky]

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
I have Motorsport like skdmrk because they were the cheapest by far. I haven't had to deal with them yet in anyway (thankfully).

On a side note, I know this guy who was fully insured through State Farm. His bike got stolen here in the city (R6, big surprise), and 2 months after the theft, State Farm still hasn't cut him a check. In fact, he's being "investigated" even after he's done all the right things; police report, alarm, multiple locks, etc.
He had to give them his past 3 statements for his cell phone, utility bills, and his past 2 years tax returns. It seems that they were so invasive he ended up hiring a lawyer to deal with the company because it was taking too much time and effort out of his daily life!

I suppose that was State Farms answer to insurance fraud but if I ever have to deal with that sort of hassle / harassment from an insurance company because I was victimized, you can bet your bottom dollar I switch with the quickness!!

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
CDawg said:
i dont know how their rates will compare (im paying 115$/yr basic for my 749 and 55' Bianchi together) I shopped around years ago and they were cheapest then, but what i have found since is that their rep. Eidman Agency in Rockland are super easy to work with, i've had 4 bikes in the past 2 years w/ them and its a simple call each time. a call cant hurt . 353.somethingsomethingsomethingsomething, its online. How they are w/ claims, i have no idea.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Dudes,

I must be missing something. I just got my renewal policy from Progressive and it went from approx $1000/yr to $$2000/ yr. The reason given was that the entire state got a rate adjustment.

what gives?

Also, seems my rate last year was higher than most of yours.... I have it listed on the policy as garaged in Island Park NY, any thoughts on this?

Has anyone else heard of this at Progressive? I am definitely changing insurance companies....

·
Registered
343 Posts
just ran across the Discount section of my progressive policy...postin it here for anyone interested (be sure to check the details)

1) Multi-Vehicle (x2 = 10%, x3 = 25%, x4 = 35%)
2) Multi-Policy (5%)
3) Defensive Driver Course (2%)
4) Homeowner (18%)
5) Anti-theft (5%)
6) Recovery Device (5%)

combined discounts can not exceed 35%

1 - 20 of 25 Posts