Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I had my first inciding with the Rs on October 18th - it's been raining non stop for the past few weeks so I haven't been able to take any pics until today, albeit very bad ones.

I was on my way to work on a rainy wednesday morning where visibility was zero and there was at least 2cm of standing water on most parts of the road(s) I take to go to work. I arrived at a roundabout and stopped to give way to a car that was coming from the left and after the car passed I took off very gingerly as this roundabout is notorious for accidents due to bad surface and exaggerated camber.

Just as I tipped into the roundabout, and it was a few degrees only, both wheels said goodbye and I fell on my left hip/shoulder taking the brunt of the fall. I tried NOT to let go of the Rs, contrary to what one should do - I know but the oncoming traffic would have destroyed the bike, but I couldn't hold on for more than a few seconds. The Rs and I parted company and we went about 15metres in opposite directions.

Thank God I had my full winter/wet gear on - Dainese Gator jacket, Dainese Odessa pants, Spidi winter gloves and Timberland boots (normally I wear biking boots but on this ocassion chose not to). I ended up with muscular pain and that was it. At the hospital I was xrayed and relieved to find nothing fractured, even hairline.

Thank you R&G racing for those wonderful frame, bar-end and fork sliders. They saved my bike! I only have 1 sraped Rizoma bar-end mirror, the side stand is scraped and the gear lever was a little bent.
I straightened the gear change lever with my toolkit (the sparkplug socket thing) and I was able to ride to the hospital without any problems.

So guys n gals, please make sure you wear protective gear in bad weather and all year round if possible. My Dainese jacket has a couple of small holes and that's about it. Excellent equipment, even if it was expensive to purchase.

As it goes, i've just treated the winter outfit to some Nikwax cleaner and Nikwax wash in waterproofing agent.

Attached are some (poor quality) pics.

Regards,
NuTTs

Attachments

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just realized those pics are absolutely shite.. I'll take some with my own camera at home.. this old Mavica unit at work is past it's prime and the lighting outside isn't very good. ;D

·
Registered
387 Posts
Glad to hear you're OK my friend. This just seems to be a bad time of the year all around. Looks like to did a good job minimizing the damage to the bike. Frame sliders, safety gear, and some quick thinking. I'm not sure what more you can do to keep the damage to the bike and yourself in check. It could have been worse, but it wasn't. Its a chance we all take each time we get in the saddle. Doesn't matter how good or how long we've been riding for. No ones exempt from the unexpected. I took mine for a little screamer off into a ravine at about 65mph and held onto it, all the way down into the swamp, right to the bitter end. Probably not a great idea but makes sense at the time. Couldn't bring myself to just let it go if you can guide it down. I made it a point to get right back on bent handlebars and everything and take her for a blast. Anyway Kurt your bike doesn't look bad at all. Now dust yourself off and get right back on. Again, glad you're ok.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Wow Kurt, Looks like the R&G's Performed perfectly! :eek:

The bar-end looks like it took a helluva whack! The slider slid without bending the bar......AWESOME!!!! [clap]

Looks like the front axle slider did its fair share also! [thumbsup] Man the gear and crash bungs no only saved your a$$ but saved your allot on potential bike repairs! ;)

Have your written your testimonial for R&G Yet? I'm sure they would appreciate it. ;D

Do you think a rear axle slider could have protected the shift lever and side stand? :-\ Not that either were damaged more than cosmetically. ::)

What great news for us R&G equipped bike owners. Sorry you had too be the one that tested them mate, :'( but I'll bet you'll be putting a new set right back on her now. [thumbsup] [clap] Thanks for the post, and glad to hear your in one piece also my friend. [thumbsup] ~Steve

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your thoughts guys, it means a lot. I was a bit shaken (not stirred [laugh] ) at first but I am ok now. As it goes I did a good 1000km since the fall just to get my head straight, but I do find myself being over cautious now and not riding as smoothly as before.

Well the Ducatistas.com track day on 7th December should sort that bit out.

Ah, also I'm gonna be racing the Rs next year in the Radical Ducati Twin Challenge.. as soon as I have more info I'll update you.

Regards,
Kurt

·
Registered
832 Posts
Damn man.....

Bad news... Glad you are OK . Crashing sucks.. Hope you and bike are still in love!!

Ita

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dogbone said:
Glad to hear you're OK my friend. This just seems to be a bad time of the year all around. Looks like to did a good job minimizing the damage to the bike. Frame sliders, safety gear, and some quick thinking. I'm not sure what more you can do to keep the damage to the bike and yourself in check. It could have been worse, but it wasn't. Its a chance we all take each time we get in the saddle. Doesn't matter how good or how long we've been riding for. No ones exempt from the unexpected. I took mine for a little screamer off into a ravine at about 65mph and held onto it, all the way down into the swamp, right to the bitter end. Probably not a great idea but makes sense at the time. Couldn't bring myself to just let it go if you can guide it down. I made it a point to get right back on bent handlebars and everything and take her for a blast. Anyway Kurt your bike doesn't look bad at all. Now dust yourself off and get right back on. Again, glad you're ok.
Dude, you ok? Is the Rs broken/kaput? glad to hear you're ok also.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got off the phone with R&G Racing - the replacement bar-end slider plastic with new bolt and frame slider plastic is £54 inc. tax and £4.85 for shipping. Woo Hoo, she'll be looking new again very soon!

·
Registered
124 Posts
NuTTs said:
I just got off the phone with R&G Racing - the replacement bar-end slider plastic with new bolt and frame slider plastic is
do we get a drum roll now?

[cheeky]

ok.
:insert drumroll here:

;D

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it's not my fault man - my messages keep getting chopped off! I've just edited and added the missing text.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
EvilSteve said:
+1 on being glad you're ok dude. [thumbsup]
-amen. And your bike came out of it very well too!

Use the money you "saved" (well done btw) to swap out the rearsets. I just put Satos on my bike- very schwanky I must say. Also- the footpegs themselves are awesome protection as they are quite beefy.

Take care!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
addysdaddy said:
Do you have the R&G link? Thanks in advance.

Stuart
www.rg-racing.com

c_rex said:
-amen. And your bike came out of it very well too!

Use the money you "saved" (well done btw) to swap out the rearsets. I just put Satos on my bike- very schwanky I must say. Also- the footpegs themselves are awesome protection as they are quite beefy.

Take care!

Sato.. wow, I wanted those for my gixxer back in the day. I didn't know they did Ducati stuff too! I was toying with the idea of some Rizoma (drool) or the DP ones (double drool) or Gilles (don't know if they make em for Monster application). Are the Sato ones hinged?

cajones said:
NuTTs said:
I just got off the phone with R&G Racing - the replacement bar-end slider plastic with new bolt and frame slider plastic is
**** cajonez.. I forgot to call you back!!! I feel a bit stupid right now! I wasn't in Cheste in the end, I sold my entrance to a friend. I'll DEFINATELY be there on 7th December as I'm riding on the track on our ducatistas.com track day. I'll be arriving on the 6th evening and leaving on the 8th after breakfast. Wanna come and have dinner/drinks with me and my buddies?

EvilSteve said:
+1 on being glad you're ok dude. [thumbsup]

thank you!

howie said:
Glad to hear you and the bike are pretty much OK.

bike is ok, I'm still a gonner in the head [laugh]

Ita said:
Damn man.....

Bad news... Glad you are OK . Crashing sucks.. Hope you and bike are still in love!!

Ita
I'm defo still in love!

Thanks everyone, now lets see if we can prepare this baby for her first track day - I need some good track rubber!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ha ha, I just rec'd this email from R&G Racing:

Many thanks for your testimonial. After speaking with management we can
offer you the replacement fork protectors free of charge in exchage for
the use of your testimonial and name, and also pictures as and when
received on the website?

Kind Regards

Gemma
R&G Racing

**Now this is what I call service!! [clap] [clap] [clap]

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
NuTTs said:
Ha ha, I just rec'd this email from R&G Racing:

Many thanks for your testimonial. After speaking with management we can
offer you the replacement fork protectors free of charge in exchage for
the use of your testimonial and name, and also pictures as and when
received on the website?

Kind Regards

my message keeps gettin chopped off here dunno why, but glad to hear your ok nutts, i have those on my bike to but reluctant to try them out ah ah !!, R AND G RACING are really good very helpfull to and there products excellente, oh i could do with some fork protectors !!!! [thumbsup] 8) nothing for the dumb !!!

Gemma
R&G Racing

**Now this is what I call service!! [clap] [clap] [clap]

1 - 20 of 39 Posts