Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Do you get numb hands more from riding a twin vs a 4 cylinder/v4?

• Total voters
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
I wanted a lower seat height, but the low seat raised my knees in relation to my hips which was not comfortable.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I also came from a long line of Japanese 4 cylinders (and a BMW inline 4 as well). I expected the twin to be different, and it definitely is. But, no real issues with painful vibration. Those are usually caused by constant high-frequency vibration and long exposure (IE vibration on the highway on a trip). All I get are low frequency vibrations (more oscillations really) at lower RPM just because of the physics of two 600cc cylinders. But, the bike smooths out when underway.

One thing that was a bit of a surprise was how high of an RPM the engine likes to operate at. I was expecting something Harley-esque in torque that would happily burble along in town at low RPM. Not so.

So, a long way of saying maybe you need to run at a higher RPM where the bike is in it's "happy" zone and running smoother. If I let the bike drop into the 3000-4000 RPM range, the mirrors start showing some vibes.

But, there are endless combinations of human bodies and ergonomic situations, so some part of the stock setup may just be bad for you. Fortunately, the aftermarket (and even Ducati) can allow some adjustment.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Yes , agreed. I came from years of riding Harley Davidsons and vintage Triumphs where normal operating range was idle-6000 rpm ( though I did have a few I-4 bikes too).
Then I bought an old carby SS and felt like I was at the IoM and 4000 rpm is when the bike starts to wake up. Then to a Busa and S4RS that want to see the tach needle above 4000 to be happy. It takes an adjustment period. Every motorcycle has an rpm range where it is as smooth as it’s going to get. You need to match your gearing to that rpm range, so that the engine spends most of its time in the “ happy zone”. With my SS, riding mostly back roads, this is 15-41. With my Monster, that would probably work too, but I will wait until I need a new chain/ sprockets to make that change. The Testastretta seems to be smoother than the 2v under 4000 rpm ( maybe it’s the FI) .
Whatever you ride, it helps to learn to keep the engine in the happy zone. The bike is not going to change, you have to change how you ride the bike.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was out riding home from the GF the other night and thought about this again.
Definitely stay away from 6th gear unless you are going for a speed run. 70mph in sixth is around 4k rpms.
and certainly buzzier than 70mph in 5th which moves you to around 5k rpms. This is where it starts to get smooth and make some power.
Try staying above 5k or even 6k in an entire ride and see if that helps. certainly more fun.

Rex

·
Registered
945 Posts
Yes , I agree. Your fuel mileage will probably suffer, but if you’re worried about mileage that’s probably the wrong bike for you.

·
Registered
700 Posts
The sweet zone for the Monster is starting at half of redline. In fact, that rule of thumb applies more or less to most bikes. I've changed the gearing (+2R) which was a big improvement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE="Kidnplay01, post: 3171067, member: 311092"]
Hi,
So the Monster 1200s is new to me for a year now and only had about 1/2 a dozen rides on her due to in Sydney Australia we had severe bushfires over Summer then followed by COVID 19 hasn't helped with lockdowns either.

I have come from Honda sportsbikes and never an issue with them.

1st thought it was winter when I bought the monster and numbs hands cause of the cold so I swapped out leather for lined Gore-Tex gloves to keep hands warm but still I swapped out feel for warm numb hands..

Next I got thicker grips "grip puppies" cause was thinking is it the vibrations so these foam inserts go over the "pro grips" I also installed so I have gel grips covered by foam to reduce the vibrations.

Still 30min after riding hands are numb..

is this typical of any twin? What have you done to bypass this? do the V4s suffer the same fate or are better?

Or im just getting older.. even though im just in 40s

View attachment 224691
[/QUOTE]
Hi,
So the Monster 1200s is new to me for a year now and only had about 1/2 a dozen rides on her due to in Sydney Australia we had severe bushfires over Summer then followed by COVID 19 hasn't helped with lockdowns either.

I have come from Honda sportsbikes and never an issue with them.

1st thought it was winter when I bought the monster and numbs hands cause of the cold so I swapped out leather for lined Gore-Tex gloves to keep hands warm but still I swapped out feel for warm numb hands..

Next I got thicker grips "grip puppies" cause was thinking is it the vibrations so these foam inserts go over the "pro grips" I also installed so I have gel grips covered by foam to reduce the vibrations.

Still 30min after riding hands are numb..

is this typical of any twin? What have you done to bypass this? do the V4s suffer the same fate or are better?

Or im just getting older.. even though im just in 40s

View attachment 224691
I added Sato Racing bar ends with the extra weight and it improved dramatically.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts