Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Do you get numb hands more from riding a twin vs a 4 cylinder/v4?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
So the Monster 1200s is new to me for a year now and only had about 1/2 a dozen rides on her due to in Sydney Australia we had severe bushfires over Summer then followed by COVID 19 hasn't helped with lockdowns either.

I have come from Honda sportsbikes and never an issue with them.

1st thought it was winter when I bought the monster and numbs hands cause of the cold so I swapped out leather for lined Gore-Tex gloves to keep hands warm but still I swapped out feel for warm numb hands..

Next I got thicker grips "grip puppies" cause was thinking is it the vibrations so these foam inserts go over the "pro grips" I also installed so I have gel grips covered by foam to reduce the vibrations.

Still 30min after riding hands are numb..

is this typical of any twin? What have you done to bypass this? do the V4s suffer the same fate or are better?

Or im just getting older.. even though im just in 40s

·
Super Moderator
620 Posts
Death grip perhaps? Sometimes it’s due to gripping too tightly. Try a few rides with the lightest gripping possible.

Reactions: Kidnplay01

·
Registered
349 Posts
There's a nerve (palmar branch of the median nerve) that runs through the palm that gets pinched/pressured because of the bars ergonomics...adjust your grip to minimize the amount of weight your putting on it

·
Registered
694 Posts
I personally find that the stock grips are fine. Lighten up your grip may help but that's not the issue.
I've ridden several CBR1000R and I thought the engine was turbine smooth. In fact, I don't think there are enough OOOO's in smooth to describe it. I loved it for that. However, and this is a big But, it's not the same.
I love the visceral feeling of the Monster, It's alive. That's why I have one.
It's not a question of better or worse. It's about different characteristics.

·
Registered
694 Posts
You have to ask yourself why you purchased a Ducati Monster?
Perhaps it was the look of the Monster?
For many of us, it was that and the riding feel of the Monster. It certainly was for me.
Perhaps it was the lure to the brand? That's also the case for many of us. Myself included.

If the latter is not the case, I don't think a V4 is your solution as there are no such equivalent to the Monster. The Monster is a sport cruiser.
The Panigale and RSV4 are superbikes. The Streetfighter and the Tuono are hypernakeds.

A quick analysis:
If you're drawn to the Ducati brand then a Panigale V4 or a SF V4 would be a "smoother" solution.
If you're drawn to the sport cruiser look of the Monster but not the rambunctiousness, then you may want to study the likes of the new breed of nakeds such as the "Monster Clone" CB1000R.
2019-cb1000r-abs-chromosphere_red-1950x1140.jpg

I would suggest you step back and draw a balance sheet of pro's and con's.
Not just for the Monster, but for all bikes that "speaks" to you.
Putting this down on paper will clear your perspective.

·
Registered
20 Posts
is this in traffic or on the higway? if you're using the clutch and brake a lot during your ride, maybe adjusting the reach of the levers might help? as others have mentioned, you might also have a tight grip as you're still adjusting to the new bike.

·
Registered
872 Posts
If you wear gloves that are too tight or your hands or fingers swell while riding ( mine did) going to a looser fit helped me. I used gel palm gloves, but they must have been cutting off circulation. I tried alloy bars after steel, but I didn’t really notice an improvement. I did find an improvement on my SuperGlide with Vans Cult grips, but I’m not sure they are available in sport bike diameters. If you can find some that fit they are worth trying. There is a gizmo called a “ BarSnake” that slides into your handlebars which I’ve heard works, but I’ve never tried one. I’ve heard filling your bars with ball bearings and silicone sealer works. Haven’t tried that either. Mostly it’s your fault for getting old.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Lots of good advice above.
Loosen up on the grips is number 1. Also be sure the bars and controls are set up correctly. Your wrist should be straight and relaxed with fingers across the levers as you touch the bars.
Dont lean on them... remember to grip with your legs...

Rex

·
Registered
872 Posts
Good point. I always move the bars, levers and mirrors around for best comfort on a new bike, but I’ve noticed many riders have theirs adjusted at awkward angles. It definitely can help, and it’s free.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi,
So the Monster 1200s is new to me for a year now and only had about 1/2 a dozen rides on her due to in Sydney Australia we had severe bushfires over Summer then followed by COVID 19 hasn't helped with lockdowns either.

1st thought it was winter when I bought the monster and numbs hands cause of the cold so I swapped out leather for lined Gore-Tex gloves to keep hands warm but still I swapped out feel for warm numb hands..

Next I got thicker grips "grip puppies" cause was thinking is it the vibrations so these foam inserts go over the "pro grips" I also installed so I have gel grips covered by foam to reduce the vibrations.

is this typical of any twin? What have you done to bypass this? do the V4s suffer the same fate or are better?

View attachment 224691

Also, perhaps different bar end weights.

Rex

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have to ask yourself why you purchased a Ducati Monster?
Perhaps it was the look of the Monster?
For many of us, it was that and the riding feel of the Monster. It certainly was for me.
Perhaps it was the lure to the brand? That's also the case for many of us. Myself included.

If the latter is not the case, I don't think a V4 is your solution as there are no such equivalent to the Monster. The Monster is a sport cruiser.
The Panigale and RSV4 are superbikes. The Streetfighter and the Tuono are hypernakeds.

A quick analysis:
If you're drawn to the Ducati brand then a Panigale V4 or a SF V4 would be a "smoother" solution.
If you're drawn to the sport cruiser look of the Monster but not the rambunctiousness, then you may want to study the likes of the new breed of nakeds such as the "Monster Clone" CB1000R.
View attachment 224717

I would suggest you step back and draw a balance sheet of pro's and con's.
Not just for the Monster, but for all bikes that "speaks" to you.
Putting this down on paper will clear your perspective.
Lol i actually had the CB1000R was a good bike and happy with it, just that someone knocked me off the bike so it was written off..

The Ducati for me TBH was
1) Brand and the Germans owning it i trusted it more than its past notoriety of Italian made. BTW the CB1000R was made in Italy so it was my 1st step at trusting the Italians

2) The biggest buy in was it had all the goodies on it and i didn't have to modify it as my previous bikes, having Ohlins all around, slipper clutch, Marchesini wheels etc it was a simple park in garage and modify small items only needed
(kinda regret that as that is part of forming a relationship with bike doing the mods, this feels like a fill in GF as i had skipped the "building relationship" lol)

3) Red Italian.. if i can't afford the car i can the bike.. Im lucky to do 500miles on it so maybe its just time to be on it. The stupid QS i installed takes time to tune with all its settings and no one in Australia knows about it. They sold it as plug and play and not mentioning it can blip out of nowhere in low gears so i can't truly ride until that is sorted..

4) maybe im not over my ex's pictured below..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Honda building bikes in Italy?
Hard to believe trust me I did the research and had the custom seat made to celebrate it.

A surprising fact about the CB1000R is that even though it is for all intents and purposes, a Japanese sport bike, it is actually built in Italy by Honda Italia -- resulting in a unique ride that blends a pleasing Italian design with benefits and features from proven Japanese race technology.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No problems for me, 64 year old geezer. I enjoy my Monster 1200, though it's got slightly more vibes at low rpm than my KTM 1290 SA. Are you sure you're not resting on your hands? How's your core strength? Has the lockdown kept you from your normal activity level? Maybe borrow some other bikes that vibe a bit and see if you have the same problem. Do your friends have a thumper , like a DR650 or KLR 650 or a Harley you could borrow? They should vibrate some, but have a different butt, hand, foot triangle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I really assumed that it was just me because I've abused my hands/wrists with weight lifting and keyboarding for soooooo many years.

Hi,

View attachment 224691

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, my wrists are fine. My old man knees on the other hand, are telling me the monster is about as sporty a foot peg position as I can stand.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I am more interested in the seat to handlebars reach.
Clip ons are too far forward and low for my liking.
And no, I don't want ape hangers either.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts