Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Numb Fingers

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Speeddog 
#1 ·
Both my wife and I get throttle hand finger numbness. Mostly index and thumb. Is this common? Do clip-ons help or hurt?

G
#2 ·
depends what the cause is...
if it's cuz you're gripping the throttle too tightly, then just loosen up & relax buddy ;)
but since it's just your throttle hand, i'd figure it's gotta do with the bar angle. clip-ons that lower your position will just put more weight on your wrists/hands and may compound the problem. unless it _is_ the angle of the bars in which case a set of cyclccats may be what the doctor ordered since you've got a pretty decent range of adjustability for bar angle with them.
you & your wife both ride monsters? have you gotten a chance to try a different bike just to see if it's a position thing? if you try a more upright position and find it better, you can just raise the bars a bit....

#5 ·
Couple of things you can check. Make sure the levers are positioned so that your wrists are almost straight in line with your forearm if you have your fingers out straight on top of the levers. Also make sure your gloves are not bunching up anywhere that could reduce blood flow or pinch on a nerve.

I also use a Throttle Rocker, but have found that resting the wrong part of my palm (the middle) on it can eventually cause a little numbness or pain. Works great under the outside edge of the heel of my hand

#6 ·
have you gotten a chance to try a different bike just to see if it's a position thing? if you try a more upright position and find it better, you can just raise the bars a bit....
I never noticed it with my BMW K75 (sofa). But This is the first bike I've owned with a more aggressive riding position i.e. more weight forward on my hands. It's not a big deal but maybe I'll add Cycle-Cats to my wish list.

#7 ·
I do get numb, but not until about 2 hours of riding.

The stock bar angle is too straight compared to my natural grip angle. Unless I ride with my elbows wide open, pressure tends to build around the root of both of my thumbs. This hurts pretty bad during and after rides. I'm looking into clip-ons.

#8 ·
General hand and wrist comfort improved with the installation of some tall DBR23 CycleCat bars. My neck and shoulders are a lot happier too.

I will occasionally get numbness in either or both hands, seems to be mostly riding position related. If I "shake it out" and lower my elbows, it seems to make it go away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.