Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I don't own a Monster I think I'm finally starting to "get" what the bike really is. I think maybe because I had owned my Monster since new, I was afraid to make any modifications that couldn't be undone. It took me four years to get to the point where I was willing to cut the tail off.

So I'm finally understanding that the Monster was meant to be the minimal sport bike. An engine, two wheels, a fuel tank, and somewhere for the rider to sit. Oh, and a loud exhaust.

So someday in the future, possibly before I finally buy a Multistrada, I'm going to buy another Monster M900. I'll look for one with high compression pistons, preferably with a 944 kit, and either FCR's or fuel injection. Then I want to take off everything that isn't really needed. No cowl or minifairing to block the wind, no clutch cover, no belt covers, no side covers, no black rubber bands around the frame, no rear hugger over the back tire, no little pods in the front of the frame, definitely no tail behind the tail light, and clipons and rearsets to minimize the controls. And low pipes, possibly upswept to minimize the extra pipes on the bike. High pipes are adding something.

And I kind of like yellow now, so I would try to find one in Yellow. No custom paint jobs for me.

The only thing I would add not on the standard bike would be a steering damper, since Monsters can definitely benefit from those.

Just a simple, lightweight bike that sounds mean, wheelies easily, and captures the concept of what a Monster ought to be.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I knew you couldn't stray away for too long Scott! I'm definatly a big believer in the minamalisticness (is that a word?) of my Monster. Like ya said, a motor, tank, two wheels and a little place for me to sit on and enjoy the ride.....

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Scott, sounds like you need a yellow version of the Monster Lyle Lovett had built 8)

When I stumbled across mine, I had never even seen or heard of a Monster. What you described is what hooked me on the spot - the minimalist style and impact. No tach, no fairing, naked engine, tail chop had been done - it was just a lean and muscular bike with unmatched styling and that Ducati Yellow color ;)

·
Registered
196 Posts
<------------- I got the same feeling. Although I will consider myself "in training" until I get it done. No side covers, no tail no hugger, chopped pipes, no wind screen, more to follow.
Minimalist Buz.

A

·
0 Posts
Scott, welcome back to the Il Monstro fold. You convinced me to get a Monster despite the fact that you have an ST2. I think that two bikes (Monster and ST) are better than one, but your riding impressions of the Monster and the ST2 convinced me that a Monster is better for me. I am learning that early Monsters aren't that expensive. Go buy a 1996 model and strip it down and ride the heck out of it. Big cheap fun in your future!

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Hey Scott - I'm supposed to get your old frame & tank soon, would you like me to turn it into a true hooligan bike for you?

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did Chris sell them to you or is he just having you fix them?

Either way, the more radical the better, as far as I'm concerned. 8)

I would love to see photos of some of the steps to convert a dented and scraped tank into a beautiful looking Italian piece of sculpture. Any chance of photographing some of the steps?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I'm not much of a photographer, but I'll try.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts