Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

November 2 Ride

2K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  TedS4R 
#1 ·
I see Nick has already put together a fine ride for this weekend.

#2 ·
Re: November 1 Ride

Ortega is pretty much central for me, but it may be a haul for the peeps north of LA.

It might be nice to do Ortega then ride out somewhere N-E of Ortega. Sorry, but I don't the names of the rides N-E of Ortega. It seems like one starts with a P.... (Palamar maybe?)

Also, what about Idyllwild? I've heard that

G
#3 ·

Hey Mark,

My bike goes in to GP on Oct. 28th for its 24000 mi tune up. which means big bucks and I already need a new rear tire. If it is back by the first and I haven't left for an out of town job, or am way to hung over from the night before (Oct. 31st), I will definitely be up for a real ride. I've Always wanted to do Ortaga to the Lookout and then down the other side and from there up to Idlewild. We would have to figure out the route. Anyone else know Idlewild?

Steve C.

#5 ·

Yeah, I've done Idyllwild. It's pretty good.
It's a bit of a trek from Ortega to Idyllwild, I'll check it out tonight on my MS Streets&Trips.

I'll see if I can string something interesting in the middle. The slog through Hemet is not very fun.
---------------edit--------------------------------------
AC snuck in while I was writing..yes, Palomar is very good riding. Makes it tough to drag the SD boy north.

If you guys are feeling ambitious, I can work out a_big_loop.
The OC boys can head east on Ortega, the Eastsiders can run south on the 15 and scoot up to the lookout to pick 'em up, back to the 15 & down to the 76 to pick up the SD crew, then go out east through Palomar. Grab the 79 up to the 371, hook on up through Idyllwild, then ....dunno.

I'll look at my map.

#7 ·
Okay, this is now a November 2 ride, and I've got some of the San Diego crew joining in. Maybe we could meet up either at Mothers or, to be more fair, the joint on Ortega. Either meet up early and ride Ortega, then let the San Diego folks work their way back south or meet up for lunch and do some "bench" racing, err, riding.

Does the date work for anybody?

Mark

#9 ·
Tom - agreed, I do want to ride the Crest. However, I don't think it's going to happen 11/2. I need to ride with my San Diego homies as I've been out of touch for too long. However, in the not-too-distant future I plan on staying with friends up in Azusa and doing the Crest when we can get a group together. Or I could stay with a buddy in Corona del Mar and you and I could ride up and meet them - whichever would work for me.

Mark

#10 ·
November 2 is good for me.

I threatened to do this a while back, but here's a "loop" map:

I'll see which of my LA brethren I can rope into this.

We can ride down the 15, and either meet the OC crew at the Lookout, or if we're feeling really frisky, ride all the way out Ortega to the 5 and pick them up and ride back to the 15.

Continue south, and pick up you SD guys at the 76, then ride up Palomar to Mother's, out the East Grade, and around Lake Henshaw (?) to Warner Springs.

Up to Aguanga, where the OC guys can split off back west if they like, then up the 371 to the 74, onto the 243 past Idyllwild and down into Banning.

Dunno WTF to do after that.......

G
#11 ·
Speeddog, your route sounds great. Palomar is always amazing. The L.A. area riders need to experience it and like Mark C., I would love to get up to ACH some time. Unfortunatly, I leave for three weeks on a job the 2nd. I could have squeezed in a ride on the 1st. No motorcycle for three weeks, Uugh! Mark, keep me informed about doing ACH in the near future, I would even be into riding up to L.A. one day and motelling it over night meet for breakfast and do the ride the next day.

Steve C.

#12 ·
If they have finished paving Mesa Grande, I'd like to hit that. Anybody know? (A few weeks ago, it was big-time tar snakes at both ends.)

Then, maybe swing into Julian for some pie, and back down and up the 79 as Nick suggests (79 has all those long relaxing sweepers).

btw, I always print one of Zina's neat SD maps to take with me when I ride down there:

http://www.ducatigirl.com/california/sdmap.html

If you guys are serious about ACH this year, I believe they close parts of it starting sometime in November.

So, what about 11/15-16 for a ACH group ride?

#13 ·
Interesting thought - ACH on 11/15 or 11/16. I'm hoping to do a track day at Streets of Willow on 11/17, so if I could schedule it, a day on the Crest then up to the track for the next day's event would be pretty cool.

Anybody else interested in doing the track day?

Mark

#14 ·
You Bastid. You are the devil incarnate.

#15 ·
If you guys are definitely going to be in Julian let me know so I can meet you there... I was there this weekend. Bring cash for gas because all of the ATM and credit card machines are dead in that whole area because of the fires. The Julian folk were starting to get nervous.

#17 ·
Hopefully the fires will begin to be contained by this weekend, however, it definitely throws a wrench in the works.

Additionally, I've got to attend a funeral on Sunday, so, despite trying to initiate this ride, I won't be able to make it. I see a thread that has another ride up north listed, but the fires in Ventura County may jack up that ride, too.

Mark

#19 ·
Of course.. sand doesn't burn. Thanks anyway though.

I think all of the Julian residents are holed up in a shelter in Borrego Springs. The winds are picking up pretty good so I imagine that whole area is going to go up like a match. I can't believe that neat little town could be gone the next time I ride up there.

#23 ·
Im out. :(

My car is demanding some troubleshooting to exorcise a 'gross polluter' condition.
That, and a pile of chores around the house gotta be done.

Really must be a good boy this weekend....

G
#24 ·
Nick, that's what you get for buying a Euro f#cked over rebuilt dodge... ;D ;D

jk u-turn ;)

Never thought we would have the day when there were too many rides going on. This is great. The critical mass you talked about long ago is come close Nick.

#25 ·
Actually, it's a Euro-trash Fix Or Repair Daily.. ;D
Same Difference............. Can't b#tch too hard, got 227k on it...

#26 ·
Just checking to see who's confirmed for ridin' Ortega (and there-a-bouts) tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.