Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the group looks like it will be about twice as big as I had originally anticipated, I would like to change the lunch plans. I had originally hoped to go to one of my favorite Chinese restaurants in Pleasanton, but they'll have a hard time dealing with such a large group. Instead, I propose that we have lunch at In-N-Out, which is at the starting point of the ride (so it should be easy to find). They have quite a few outside tables that we could take over and they seem to welcome street rods and motorcycles.

Secondly, I want to make sure everyone is dressed properly for the ride. This has not been a problem in the past, but everyone should have decent helmet, jacket, gloves and boots. We haven't made a big deal about riding pants in the past, so we'll let that slide (and hope nobody without them does any sliding ;)).

And don't forget to bring $4.00 for the park entrance fee. We won't be able to make change for a bunch of $20.00 bills.

Be at Cycle Gear in Pleasanton by 9:00. We can talk bikes and things for about 15 minutes, then I want a 5-minute riders meeting to discuss the route. Then we're off. Plan to spend at least 30 minutes at the top of Mt. Diablo. That should be enough time to either go through the vistors center or climb on top of it and have a look at the entire Bay Area and Central Valley.

For those who don't know how to get to Cycle Gear, going east-bound on 580, take the Hopyard exit (exit ramp starts way early, just after crossing 680), turn right at the first light, right at the next light, and right at the first stop sign. In other words, turn right at every traffic control device. You'll see In-N-Out in front of you as you're turning and Cycle gear will be back and to the right.

Be sure to top off before showing up. There are two gas stations on the corner of Hopyard and Owens, at the first light. The Shell station is easier to get to Cycle Gear from than the Chevron station.

The total ride is almost exactly 100 miles, and there won't be any other gas stations after the short section through Concord. I didn't plan any other stops besides the top of Mt. Diablo, except to regroup at a few critical turns.

I'm thinking we might want someone like Cesar to be the turn director, riding with the first group until we get to a critical turn, then pointing which way to go until the final sweeper sees which way to go. Then zooming ahead to catch back up with the first group until the next turn (you know you like doing things like that, Cesar). That would probably be better than attempting to get the whole group to wait. Alternatively, we could have several volunteers who will stay back until the next group shows up, then catch back up with their group. I'm not so concerned with the later groups being too slow as with some getting stuck at lights and ending up a minute or two back.

If you look at the map at: http://www.sfbmha.com/rides/EB/PMtDiablo01/PMtDiablo01.htm, there are only a few turns that might be tricky. First off, rather than go [1] to [2], we'll cross 580 on Hopyard and go east on Dublin Blvd to Tassajara. Much less chance of losing anyone that way. Turn [4], from Tassajara to Blackhawk Rd, is simple enough, but we don't want anyone missing it. Turn [5] into the park is the easiest to miss if you haven't been there. We'll need to regroup there. Turn [8] isn't really a turn, just veering right, but turn [9] at Ygnacio Valley is another critical one. The turn onto Clayton Rd. isn't marked on the SFBMHA map, but is the other critical turn. If everyone can just remember "Ygnacio" and "Clayton", there should be no problems. Turn [10] onto Vasco is another critical turn, but it's the only traffic signal since Concord, so it's easy. The only other real concern is turn [11] at Dalton, which is easy to miss if you're not familiar with the area. I expect to wait there until the entire group arrives before continuing, since there is a lot of space there and not too much traffic. We can then make our final leg through Highland Road and out Collier Canyon. We can then take the freeway back to Hopyard and lunch.

I probably should have some little cards made up with the critical turns:

Dublin Blvd east
Tassajara north
Blackhawk Rd north
Mt. Diablo Scenic Blvd north
Summit Rd east
Oak Grove north
Ygnacio Valley north east
Clayton Rd east
Vasco Rd south
Dalton Ave west
Collier Canyon south
N Canyons to Airway to 680 to Hopyard

There! Nobody could possibly get lost now. 8)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hey Scott-
So this is my lot in life-Turn Director.
My wife laughed her head off!

Sure, I'll give it a go. Makes sense to me. The suggested alternative, I believe, would string out the groups unnecessarily. I'd rather they concentrate on staying on the road than where the other groups are.

Everyone would have to be aware that a couple of us would be passing along the line, honking our horn, to do our duties. Nothing personal implied to those of Latin, English or Irish decent ;) .

looking forward to it- Cesar.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Thanks Scott for getting all the prep info together! As far as ride apparel goes, i think if we have mini meetings regarding proper gear before every ride, it will be easier for people to get the hang of what they should/shouldn't wear

·
Registered
316 Posts
I agree Daffe-
Friction Zone Magazine has an article on durability of riding apparel materials. Interestingly they tested them on car crash dummies dragged behind a SUV to simulate a slide from 60mph. They've also run a series of articles on the physics of impact injuries which was morose but an eye opener as far as shedding light on reasonableness of riding beyond abilities.
Cesar.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
friction zone is a great mag - wonder if we can get Amy Holland to send some to the club? that would be cool - haven't read the article on the riding apparel but consensus is leather is best when at all possible.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I have to admit guys that I am little sketched out going on the Mt Diablo Rd. with so many riders. That road is VERY tight and not all that much fun IMO. Marsh Creek is a blast! Anyway, just my $.02... I'll most likey show up anyway.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Dave-
My .02-I think you'll find your own groove with the group. Believe me we try to, above all, be safe...and then to allow for individuality. One of the topics we'll have to deal with on this ride is that we need to break up into sufficient groups so we're not crowded. Being that you know this road, we could certainly use your experienced input. We'll return the favor by showing you some South Bay rides.
Looking forward to seeing you-
Cesar.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I usually ride in my helmet (duh), glovesl, jacket, jeans and hiking boots. Is this an issue? Just want to clarify before the ride.

-mike
... you have front brakes for that helmet of yours if you're riding in it? just kidding! ;D

seriously, as long as you're wearing adequate protection you should be okay. I wouldn't recommend riding in T-shirts and shorts with flip-flops and those CF fingerless gloves. In the future you may want to get some ballistic pants or something similar.

Have you been on that route before?

S

·
0 Posts
My vote would be to have the sweepers for each group wait at the turns for the leader of the group behind them, then ride on to catch up with his own group. This would be safer I think than having Cesar have to pass an entire group at after each turn. There's no need to have the whole group wait, just the sweepers...right? This is the way I have ridden with large groups in the past. Or...just make sure the leaders know where to turn, and see ya all at the top!

I'm thinking we might want someone like Cesar to be the turn director, riding with the first group until we get to a critical turn, then pointing which way to go until the final sweeper sees which way to go.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sarah-
When we were thinking of two groups, it would have worked for me to stay at the turns and wait. But now, with 3-4 groups, it would be indeed too risky/dangerous. What you suggested is what we're going to do. I'm glad you said something if it was concerning you and I'm glad we're on the same page.
Cesar.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I should have put smilies all round that part mentioning Cesar possibly zooming by the group regularly. We should have the sweepers wait for the next group.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
good idea on that one. we have about 27 riders on the books for Saturday now. maybe 4 groups or so?

4 groups = 27 riders total

group 1 - 6 riders
----> 1 sweeper
group 2 - 6 riders
----> 1 sweeper
group 3 - 6 riders
----> 1 sweeper
group 4 - 6 riders

1 - 18 of 18 Posts