Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had (and am hoping to soon have again) a Ducati Monster. The bike was a '97 with carbon pipes. I've heard newer fuel-injected Monsters with carbon pipes recently and the sound doesn't seem to be the same as I remember. Is this just my imagination or do the carby Monsters sound different from the injected Monsters?

Part two: which is better and why (I know maintenance is a bit easier with injected bikes, so other reasons)?

Found another post with the injection vs. carb discussion. Sorry 'bout that. Would anyone care to comment on the sound?

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Fuel injection is more precisely metered (especially in closed-loop mode) so tuning will be different. Different tuning can result in somewhat different sound.

However, different mufflers make a bigger difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
the good thing about Carburators they dont need the ecu to work, they work well, i have just built 3 F1-R Replica's fitted a works 750,a 800ss and a 900 race engine, replaced the flywheels with modified ones i constructed, all engines were fitted with 40mm dellortos, the bikes is running a 15 38 sprokets, all still is wanting to lift the front wheel, the 800 we recorded well over 100mph in second, i reset the cam settings, and fitted the ignitech ignition, for those i have read asking all sorts of questions re the igne tech, I explained to Jan what i wanted and the twin kucka??/ nippon denso pickups, the unit jan sent i fitted in seconds, pressing the starter the bikes fired faster than the old system.
if anybody would like to have information contact me if you want to see the bikes running look on youtube search for 'roythersby', the video's are there to see, the differnce in the bikesthe one with the gold exhaust is the 804 engine, the other is a Reno Leoni tuned engine, i have a problem with then engine as it pulls strong from the start, then misses at higher revs, i now know the problem, and should have it fixed next week, as these bikes are on route to compete in the classic TT races in South Africa in January, any questions ask i might have the soution, but keep then sensible please.
Roy

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Very impressive Roy - I wish you were closer to help me tune my motors, that's my weakest and most frustrating area these days.
How much fuel pressure do you run to those carbs? Do you have much experience with FCRs?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello, The carbs i use are all gravity fed. FCR'snot sure of the terminology. is it flat sided carbs?, one trick i used on a Ducati TT2 in the TT F2 races in 1985, I fitted two extra fuel filters on board, few laffed at the size of the filters thinking that i did not trust Manx petrol. the reason was that the Gas Tank limit was 20 litres, each filter held 1.5 ltrs, i was carrying 23 litres of fuel on board. we had enough gas on board for one tank refill, instead of the normal two (6 lap race). to get the fuel out of the filters i used a small perfume funnel fitted infont of the windshield, and a pipe going to the tank breather, at speed the funnel gather enough air pressure to pressurise the tank and enable enough fuel to feed the carbs.. It would have been a winner, the rider did not think the bike would last the third lap and came in on the second lap for fuel. at the end of the race we suffered a oil leak from rear swingarm spindle oil seal, covering the rear tyre with oil, went from 4th to 15th on the last quarter of the race. shuks.
still we were there taking part it was fun
Roy

·
Registered
7 Posts
one thing i have discovered in my history of motorvehicles, service, if you are weak on one subject, find out what specs are required for what vehicle, find out how to do it and practice, after a few attempts the jobs become clear and then things become simple. most problems are caused by the owners. reset all to std settings and if it runs ok, you win one. if you have to dig deeper then make notes as you go. it all helps in the end.
most jobs are just repetative, and becomes a bore.
roy

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
The FCR is for flatslides, in this case Keihin 41. I've run gravity, and while it works, but the fuel pressure changes as the level changes. Right now I'm experimenting with an electric fuel pump at around 3-4 pounds, but I don't want to put too much pressure against the needle seats, just have a constant pressure and flow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Norm, Kein Flatsides yes i know them, not tried any but, one of the guys in south africa has built a 750 Pantah using them, he reckons they should win him the classic cup, i am taking down, 2 TT 750, tt 804 F1-R bikes, both engines ran in the daytona Bott and the 750 came 4th in 92. i fancy a go at the classic cup as well.
not sure how the fuel system on the monster works, i have dismantled three for spares and only took one for a run to see if everythings worked, i believe there is some sort of vacuum pump,fitted to make fuel get to the carbs, this pump has its own problems. when the first fuel injection came in on Volvos when i was working in Calgary, the system was pressurised and the surplus fuel was routed back to the tank by a return hose.this idea would also work on the Monster running a small pump you could let it run, as the carb needs fuel, and the float valve opens then closes when enough is in the carb, the surplus is routed back to the tank, finding a small fuel pump is another matter. a loop system with t pieces for each carb should work make sure you use fresh hose and clips otherwise it can be barbeque time.
regards for now hope this helps
Roy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts