Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please give me some feedback on a couple of exhaust questions...

(I've used the search feature, as I imagine that the question of exhaust is oft asked, but haven't found the answers to my questions.)

I'd like to get something louder and deeper sounding than stock, but within moderation. In other words, not really, really loud. Which would you recommend between Silmotor, Termignoni, Leo Vince, and Arrow? Are there other brands I should consider for a set of high-mounts for my S4?

One other question: Do I need to do anything to the injection if all I do is install a set of slip-ons?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
They're all pretty loud, with Termi probably being the loudest, at least based on comments in the exhaust survey. I think Ducati Performance sells an aftermarket exhaust that is approved for street use (the ones you mention usually say "for closed course racing only" or similar). Street pipes (homologated in ducatispeak) will be under the EPA 80db limit, so if you're changing more for the look than the sound that might be your best bet. Also, I think Sil motor sells a quieter version, you might check with Stuart at Spareshack or MOtowheels (both DML sponsors BTW!)

Full exhaust survey is here: http://www.ducatimonster.org/faq/faq_exhaust_survey.html

N

·
0 Posts
I just put a set of sil slip ons on my 620.

On my first ride I was thinking that i put pipes on that are too loud and felt that I had just done something I was going to regret.
Second ride, didn't seem quite as loud, I still wasn't sure if they were too loud for my tastes and if I was going to be pissing off folks out walking their dog or something...that was until I was at a gas station at the same time as 2 harleys pulled up. They left just as I had started mine up, when they pulled out, I couldn't even hear my bike, suddely I didn't feel bad.

From what I recall, Sil makes 2 sets, one is 86db and the other is 105 - those are the ones I got, and now I love them.

and even folks at work said that they didn't sound too loud, I guess they just sound alot louder when you are on it vs. walking in a parking lot.

so, take that for what it is worth,
and good luck.

S

·
0 Posts
D&D is definately the loudest of the big names. two brothers is likely next. then termi, arrow, sil motor....

if you want something with some grunt but not insane, look into arrows with removable chokers that slip right into the exhaust tips. you can take them out at will for the "full rumble" and flow, for occasional hooliganism, or you can keep them in for daily riding. i'm sure some of our sponsor sites can sell you these but for some info, surf over to redracingparts.com of italy.

M

·
0 Posts
I just got Remus pipes put on my bike and I set off car alarms when I ride down the street. I like it, but I wouldn't recommend anything like that if you don't want noise. I hear the termi's are good for that deep thump, but not too loud. I don't know though, as I don't have any termi's on my bike.

When I got my pipes put on, I had the carb adjusted so that it didn't run so lean.

S

·
0 Posts
I have the Sils but I am now stocking Marving carbon exhuasts which are street legal (80dB) but have a removable baffle so you can run them as race cans also and retain the legal markings.

The baffle is held in by a small bolt on the underside of the exit end of the silencer. They do have a spot of weld on them which needs removing then you can replace the bolt with a new one. The weld is there to make the bolt/baffle a permanent feature which I'm told is the only way such a design can gain road approval.

They'll be on the website in a week or so.

Stuart

·
Registered
2 Posts
D&D is definately the loudest of the big names. two brothers is likely next. then termi, arrow, sil motor....

if you want something with some grunt but not insane, look into arrows with removable chokers that slip right into the exhaust tips. you can take them out at will for the "full rumble" and flow, for occasional hooliganism, or you can keep them in for daily riding. i'm sure some of our sponsor sites can sell you these but for some info, surf over to redracingparts.com of italy.

D&D? My search engine couldn't find a sight for them. any ideas?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
You could also send your stock pipes or buy some off of ebay & send them to Strati www.ducatipipemod.com & have him core them. He does two different mods. One that is a full mod & a 1/2 mod that isn't as loud as the full. That is what I opted for & I couldn't be happier. Also, they save a lot of coin for other mods.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
What? WHAT? Did you say something? ;D

Some (all?) of the Staintunes have a "choker ring", don't know about high-mounts..........

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the responses. I've ordered some Arrow high-mount carbons from Motostrano. I'll let you know how they are after I receive and install them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts