Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any info? Can't trust the resort reports, especially this year. Killington, Stowe, Sugarbush or nearby info appreciated.

David B.

·
Registered
126 Posts
For the weather Killington is doing well. Things are kinda icy now, and with the rain in the future things are looking to be a bit more icy. As far as coverage goes, killington has the most open.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I'm heading up to Gunstock Sunday. Only because they have 1/2 day morning tix and I need to get my daughter a refresher lesson before whe heads up to Sugarbush on a school ski trip next weekend. She scared the hell out of me when I took her last season (just once in the spring) and I'm afraid to cut her loose without a refresher.

Sunday is starting to look better, but with rain Saturday :p

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
CRASH! said:
I'm heading up to Gunstock Sunday. Only because they have 1/2 day morning tix and I need to get my daughter a refresher lesson before whe heads up to Sugarbush on a school ski trip next weekend. She scared the hell out of me when I took her last season (just once in the spring) and I'm afraid to cut her loose without a refresher.

Sunday is starting to look better, but with rain Saturday :p
Bring your old skis. There's not much snow.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
ducpainter said:
Bring your old skis. There's not much snow.
Old skiis huh? That would be my 1985 Dynastar Course GS 210s with Marker M40 bindings and Lang ZS boots :p
Or I could ride my Swallow (hey, no jokes!) GS 200s with Look N77 bindings. Those bases are certified bulletproof [cheeky]

Problem is, I gave up Alpine skiing many years ago and really don't want to go back.

So it's old school leather Tele boots with straight-as-a-rail Kazama 205s and Riva cable bindings (still good for banging around the woods) or my new state-of-the-art Tele gear.

Actually, if nothing challenging is open, I may as well use the old Tele stuff. I can handle most intermediate groomers just fine on that.

Guess I'll take both and decide on the spot :-\

Thanks for the tip Nate, I proly wouldn't have bothered without it.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Not a skier so I don't know what king of snow making, if any, they have at Gunstock. I can tell you that it hasn't been cold enough to make much, and I don't think Gilford has any natural snow.

Some of the larger more expensive areas have some man made.
I'd suggest Tenney, but they packed it in for the season before they even got to open. :-\

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Yeah, I noticed that about Tenney when I was surfin' ski areas yesterday. Wassup with that?

A key decider for Sunday is that Grace can only do a morning half day due to an afternoon commitment and few areas offer morning 1/2 day passes. Damned if I'm gonna pay for a full day for both of us to ski crap :mad:

It's s'posed to cool down on Sunday, the there'll be rain through Saturday morning. That's hell on the snowpack :p

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
CRASH! said:
Yeah, I noticed that about Tenney when I was surfin' ski areas yesterday. Wassup with that?

A key decider for Sunday is that Grace can only do a morning half day due to an afternoon commitment and few areas offer morning 1/2 day passes. Damned if I'm gonna pay for a full day for both of us to ski crap :mad:

It's s'posed to cool down on Sunday, the there'll be rain through Saturday morning. That's hell on the snowpack :p
I think they were counting on the holiday vacations for revenue. When it became apparent they wouldn't be able to open by Thanksgiving they just bagged it to ease the pain.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Got back from Gunstock. There was nobody there. So my daughter got a 2-hr private lesson for the cost of a group lesson ;D

Few runs open and all were hard as hell except where the snow cat had chewed 'em up. Never softened up either :(

I guess since it rained yesterday, it wasn't just an icy crust; it was frozen through and through! Tough stuff. I was cool parallelling on it, but my Tele legs didn't hold up too long :p

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Glad you found some semblance of snow at least.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I plan on taking the boys out on Sunday (Saturday's booked)

How far north do I have to go?

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
If your heading into NH I would shoot for Loon. One of my friends road there yesterday and said it was pretty good considering the weather, that they had been making snow and were opening more of the mountain. Everywhere will be extra busy this weekend on account of the holiday on Monday. Stay away from Waterville, Tenny is closed and I haven't heard anything about Cannon.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I'm up for VT too but probably don't want to drag the kids all the way up to Jay. How's Pico?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Pico suffered from the rain. They closed for 2 days, then opened back up. They have 1 trail open from the top, and a few other smaller trails open. Its better than nothing. Killington has a ton more open.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Unfortunately Killington costs a ton more too :(

The boys are early intermediate skiiers. Don't need much hill for them, but some snow is always nice :p

While I'll get in some runs on my own, I can't abandon them for the day. They're only 11.

·
Registered
126 Posts
True, Killington charges waaaay too much. Pico would be fine, with these nice cool snowmaking temps in the forcast and recent snow things are looking up. If you decide to go to Pico and you have time, you should swing by the shop. Basecamp Outfitters , its at the bottom of the killington access road, big yellow new building. We are a freeheel shop. If you wanted to try somthing new i could set you up with some demos for the day. (that offer stands for any tele dml'er). Diff skis from Fischer, Head, Atomic, Salomon, Rossignol. Fun stuff.

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
Crash if you don't feel like driving all the way up to Killington you can try Sunapee. I've heard they have 30 trails open. They seem to be making snow. I have no idea what the conditions are like. My wife works in the ski school and said attendance is down but a good amount of people are still skiing.

I'm very bummed out about the snow situation. This year we have free passes. With the snow the way it is, I don't even want to go but things are looking good for next week!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Sunapee sounds like it might be about right for Sunday's mission. I can save Pico for later in the year when there's more natural snow so it's worth the extra drive. I'll be sure to stop by the Bread shop when I do!

Red Duke, I'll be putting my boys in a half day (that's what they call 2 hours ::)) lesson. Is your wife going to be working Sunday?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts