Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Is anyone knows whats the recommended idle rpm on ducati monster1100 my is jumping between 1250-1300 on fully warmed engine? is this normal? Thank You.

·
Registered
225 Posts

Can't help with the 1100 specifically but normal for the 696 is 1300 +-50 so it sounds about right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
2005 S2R 800 Factory manual 1250+/-50prm
Mines running at 800/900
but need to get a computer to bump it up
Cant afford the dealer

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
original reply by me said:
One nice thing about the 696 and 1100 is that idle RPM can be set right from the instrument panel with no tools or visits to the dealer.
One nice thing about the 696 and 1100 is that the idle RPM can be displayed easily on the instrument panel for purposes of adjusting the idle speed.

I really think it sounds as if your 1100 is idling about where it should.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
1200 to 1300 is the righ rpm for warm. personally though 1050 to 1200 is the right spot. and makes the bike ettle real good. but factory settings is what it should be.

·
Registered
225 Posts
One nice thing about the 696 and 1100 is that idle RPM can be set right from the instrument panel with no tools or visits to the dealer.

I really think it sounds as if your 1100 is idling about where it should.

The idle RPM on the 696 is set using the air bleed screws on the throttle bodies. I believe that the 1100 is the same but I only have the shop manual for the 696 so can't confirm.

Did my throttle body synchronization and set the idle last weekend, bike was idling low and stumbling, synchronization was off by a fair amount. Much better now :)

Remember also with the new head design the cams ride directly in the head without bearings, you want to keep the oil pressure up at idle. Don't make the mistake that many HD riders do and run a low idle to sound cool and drop the oil pressure.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Did my throttle body synchronization and set the idle last weekend, bike was idling low and stumbling, synchronization was off by a fair amount. Much better now :)

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly does throttle body synchronization involve? Is this something the end user can/should check and adjust?

·
Registered
225 Posts

It involves synchronizing the throttle bodies so that they are both pulling the same vacuum at idle. It would require you to have a manometer (I use a CarbTune II) and some patience. On US models the bleed screws on each throttle body are capped but the caps are just plastic with a center section that is scored so it punches right out and you can make adjustments with a small flat bladed screwdriver. You adjust both to reach the correct idle, then using the manometer plugged into the same ports that the hoses to your charcoal canister hook to, adjust each so that they are pulling the same value while maintaining the correct idle. Cleans up the idle, makes it easier to start, and effects power quality just off idle, not much more.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
The idle RPM on the 696 is set using the air bleed screws on the throttle bodies.
original reply by me said:
What's the advantage of adjusting it that way versus making small adjustments from the instrument panel? I can understand the advantage of synching the throttle bodies, but what if one just wants to change the idle by 100RPM or so?
Where's the strikeout code when I need it?

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
HOw can i adjust the idle from instrument panel?
Well, you... umm... that is...

OK. Page 29 of the owner's manual is titled "Adjusting the engine idle speed (rpm)." It shows you how you can... umm... display the engine idle speed. However, despite my know-it-all post above and the title of the manual page, there doesn't actually appear to be a way to adjust the idle speed from there.

I had interpreted the information on that page to mean that after pushing the left cluster switch up to get to "RPM," you then pushed it down for 3 seconds and used it to adjust the speed up or down a bit the same way you'd set other parameters. It actually stops right after the bit about scrolling through until RPM is displayed.

I just sort-of tried it with my wife's bike and got nowhere. It's a quarter to midnight now and I've got renters above my garage so I really couldn't let it warm up properly to play with it.

I'll try again tomorrow but for now it looks as if I was talking through my hat.

·
Registered
225 Posts

The digital numeric RPM readout on the instrument panel is used during the proceedure to give you an excact number rather than using the standard screens bar graph.

Directly from the Ducati M696 shop manual:

Adjusting the idle speed

Check that the throttle body linkage is seated against the stop screw (throttle fully closed and choke not activated). Make sure that the throttle cable freeplay is correctly adjusted.
Check:
- that the throttle angle values read by the DDS with the engine stopped is 0°.

Start the engine and wait for the engine temperature to reach 100 °C.
When the engine temperature reading reaches 100 °C, carry out the adjustment operations described below.
The idle speed must be between 1250±1350 rpm (1300±50):
- if the idle speed is lower or higher than the specified range, open or close the bypass screws (21) of both cylinders by a 1/4 turn, and, once the correct idle speed has been obtained, check that the CO level in both cylinders is between 0.4% and 1.4%. The CO level of both cylinders should be automatically maintained by the engine ECU within the specified range.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts