Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to the bike scene and really look forward to getting into it. I was looking at getting a first bike and everything is pointing to the new ducati monster 620. What do you think of a monster as a beginner bike. If you have other bikes would like to suggest it would be much appritiated. Keep in mind im 21, perfect driving record. help me out!!! :D

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Keep it relatively small. The 620 would be a good pick, now the 695 if you are buying new. Get gear before or while you are purchasing your bike. Wear it. All the time.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a bunch man. btw whats the price range on the 07? I called insurance and the ducati made me smile heh. 1100 a year not too shabby.. compared to the gsxr 600 fkn 3400 a year

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Search around a bit, this topic's been covered numberous times.

But, if you want the short version. There's two schools of thought:

* No 600+cc biek is a goot 1st bike. Get a beater 250 or 400 ride the snot out of the for a year and sell at the same price you bought

* 620 (695) are fine for beginners.

Personally I'm in camp #2, since I picked up a 620 as my 1st bike. I knocked out nearly 4k spill free miles in under 4 months.. and bought me a 900. Another 1k on there sans issue.

But, as noted, always gear it (you) up. It keeps the gremlins away

·
Registered
979 Posts
Take the MSF course. Also, call lots of insurance companies to get quotes, they are quite varied.

The 620 is a great first bike-it was mine! Maybe a little much, but if you've driven 6 years without any accidents or tickets, then you probably have the self control (right wrist control) to keep it at a manageable level.

Shiny side up.

·
Banned
519 Posts
A lot depends on how aggressive you are. I'm semi-aggressive and I started on a 620. In the my 6000+ miles I have not ridden the bike to its full potential. There are times that I wish that I had a bigger bike to keep up with my brother on his 999, but then....if I could ride a little stronger, I might feel different.

Again...get gear with the bike, wear it and take a Motorcycle Saftey Training class.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
This is all great advice, and you'll find more in other threads. It sounds like you have already been playing with a budget since you've called the insurance company. When you're factoring in how much you're going to spend be sure to alot at least $750 for gear and more likely closer to $1K. If you're truly a newby without a lot of experience, you may also want to think about frame sliders just in case as well.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
superjohn said:
This is all great advice, and you'll find more in other threads. It sounds like you have already been playing with a budget since you've called the insurance company. When you're factoring in how much you're going to spend be sure to alot at least $750 for gear and more likely closer to $1K. If you're truly a newby without a lot of experience, you may also want to think about frame sliders just in case as well.
+1 on the budgeting for gear. I got a 620 for my first bike and my only close call thus far was due to complacency on my part. Pay attention and stay disciplined.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow this forum rocks! thanks so much for the advise!! [clap] btw ive taken the MSF course and have dirivin my dads harley for around a year now. I also drove an 06 ninja zx-10r

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Ok so this isn't exactly your 1st bike experience at all. Just the 1st one you will own?

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
Get the used 620, get GOOD gear!! ENJOY!! and in no time you'll want something bigger I think ;)

My 620 is my first bike. I've had it now over 3 years and I'll be swapping in a 900 engine over this winter, only because of dry clutch envy. Otherwise I love my 620. I keep up with everyone on the twisties, on the straights yeah they loose me quickly, but let them flush out the cops [laugh]

·
Registered
13,974 Posts
movezig said:
wow this forum rocks! thanks so much for the advise!! [clap] btw ive taken the MSF course and have dirivin my dads harley for around a year now. I also drove an 06 ninja zx-10r

you might find a 620 lacking in power. you might not. depends on your personality. how much speed do you want?

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
statefarm insures by engine size.... oh, and what everyone else said, especially about gear.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My first bike was the 620. Some snobs may tell you it's a girls bike or a posers bike. To hell with them. I bought it because:

1) I loved the way it looked.
2) For $5000, if I found I hated riding on the street I could sell it and not take too much of a beating.
3) I loved the way it looked.
4) I wanted something that was more powerful than a 250 but nothing like a super bike.
5) I loved the way it looked.

CAG

1 - 17 of 17 Posts