Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm new here but no worries, not new around bikes really, though I am new around Ducatis. First off, hello to everyone, and yes I have been searching your archives. :)

I currently ride an 05 Triumph Sprint and I want to augment my garage with something more nimble with a really well sorted out suspension...and something naked. Really I was planning on getting something slightly lower in power to my Sprint and working on my twisties technique more. So much for good intentions...

I rode an S4RS last weekend not really knowing what to expect. It had all the tweaks so it was close to 150hp and honestly it spooked me a little, especially the brakes (THOSE BRAKES...WOW). The salesman strongly suggested I try a S2R 1000 and I did today, albeit at another dealer. I liked it quite a bit, but I am getting the siren call of the S4RS nevertheless. The money isn't a huge issue, so considering that, which one should I grab? The call of that S4RS is strong...

·
Registered
320 Posts
As I have no FHE with the S4Rs, you will find all S4Rs owners are in love with their choice. If you have something calling you, don't ignore it. But, you have been warned. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know, it would be easier if there were a clear difference or discomfort with one or the other. Frankly I was VERY comfortable on the S2R 1000 today, I should keep that in mind and re-read this often. If "Chris" is out there from Charlotte, my wallet is itching!

Oh, looking at the specs, the S2R1K has a "rebound and preload" adjustable rear suspension, but the S4RS has a "fully adjustable" one...what's the difference (compression?). Will I, as a non-king-of-the-mountain rider even notice the difference?

I ride twisties a lot, but I am not "great" at them yet my ANY means...still a student of the bike for sure. I want good equipment and if I am hampered my the S2R1K I will not like that, but if the suspension will not hamper me on the streets (esp tight twisties and sweepers) I will be happy with it I think.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
longpath said:
Oh, looking at the specs, the S2R1K has a "rebound and preload" adjustable rear suspension, but the S4RS has a "fully adjustable" one...what's the difference (compression?). Will I, as a non-king-of-the-mountain rider even notice the difference?
Yes the difference is compression damping.

And once you ride a bike with top shelf suspension components, properly dialed in for you, you'll wonder how you could ever ride anything else. If you rode an Ohlins suspended S2R 800 or 1000 back to back with a stock bike, you would notice the difference. But if you don't ever do that, you probably won't know what you're missing and never care. I invested in suspension on my last two bikes and now everything I ride stock feels soft and slow to react by comparison.

The thing I think people need to keep in mind is just because it is a fully adjustable component, doesn't mean it's a 'good' component. In my opinion, none of the non-Ohlins components that come on the any of the Monsters is really top shelf stuff and all of it would benefit from some upgrading (revalving and proper spring rates).

On my first few bikes, the first mod was always pipes, but as I started doing track days and did my first suspension, I realized how much more important that was. And not just on the track. My 94 VFR had Ohlins/Lindemann and it was not only superb on the track (for a big fat pig) but the road improvement was nothing short of amazing.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The other option is to get the S2R1K and use the leftoover dough for the mods as many will also tell will surely begin, but hey, whats money if as you said its no issue right now. Personally, if I had the dough, and I don't due to 2 kids who find a way to suck all of it out of me (which I really don't mind that much) I'd get the S4Rs.

Good luck on the "issues" and I hope you get what your heart tells you. Don't listen to your head, he leads to the dark side too often... :-\

As always, pics are a must or you will be flogged...and Happy Holidays

Erik

1 - 5 of 5 Posts