Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I pulled up next to a guy riding the new Yamaha FZ whatever-(I was in my cage)--he misses the shift and revs it to the moon, I look over he has on a windbreaker, jeans, no gloves tennis shoes and helmet(its the law here). Then he kicks it into gear and blasts by me--like I care.

Fast forward to today---I see the same guy and I'm on my monster today--he is coming up behind me blows by me again-I was going the speed limit and I follow him for about two miles all the while his blinker goes on/off, on/off, on/off....guess he showed my just how fast he was...I'm a noob and remembered what my instructor said-"There isn't anything easier than going fast in a straight line" It takes a lot more than speed to make a good rider and that is my goal...just thought I'd share.

gnew

·
Registered
403 Posts
"Those guys" ride all type of bikes.

I ride an "FZ whatever" also and enjoy it a lot.

;D

L

·
0 Posts
I love watching that sort of rider. Totally obsessed with themselves to the point they have no brain power left to actually ride. :)

·
Registered
796 Posts
I was riding Mesa Grande today when we came to a particualarly bad off camber turn to find a brand new softail Harley upside down still runnin spilling gas and oil all over the place. The rider and passenger were 20ft. down a ditch. My friend, who is an emergency room MD ran down to the two while me and my other riding buddy turned the bike up and got it shut off so it wouldnt blow up.
The woman who was on the back had on a sweatshirt and jeans and a pair of tennis shoes, her ankle was broken. She was in shock and white as a ghost. The driver, a big, older, gray bearded, biker type, was wearing jeans a leather vest and T shirt and one of those peanut helmets that are not legal. His head missed a large rock by inches.
His leg was obviously broken judging by the strange angle it was resting at and my friend thinks he had some back injuries as well. He was in shock and asking how his mangled $25k Harley was. The woman kept asking for "a smoke".
The moral of this is that he and his friends were riding like maniacs and not even dressed to be out walking in the cold weather. We had been behind them earlier on route to gas up going through some traffic and they were riding their choppers like they were superbikes hoping past cars across double yellows. The worst part is that during the two hours we were with the two none of his group ever came back to check on them.
Its not always a Newbie or sportbiker who is stupid, its the stupid riders who are stupid.

Oh, my other bike is a 2002 FZ1

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wasn't putting down the FZ's guys...I just couldn't remember what the bike was....it was the FZ-6? Their new almost naked bike like the SV650.

gnew

M

·
0 Posts
Stupid people ride all sorts of bikes. Lets give them credit for loving all types of good bikes and giving the other riders of that bike a bad name. :p

Kinda like the bad biker movies of the 50's and 60's that all the bike books talk about.

Tom.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I can't believe that no one came back for those two on the Harley. Also, I had a similar situation when I was learning how to drive stick shift on a car. Before I figured it out, I would always hit the gas harder than I needed to so the car wouldn't get that hard jerk forward. Unfortunately it took me a little while to learn that I needed to let the clutch out all the way. But clutches are different on every car. In the Mustang, the clutch had to be almost all the way out in order for the gas to catch. In the Miata, it only had to be a little over half way out. When I would get frustrated with the clutch, I would usually add extra gas to make up for the time I lost trying to shift. In defense of teenagers everywhere, its probably his first bike and/or standard transmission. But I still think someone should learn to shift before they get on something with only two wheels. IMHO

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Uhhh.

Monster riders probably shouldn't be dissin' anyone for missing a shift and "reving to the stars."

Still happens to me. Muy humiliating.

Gotta change to GP shift. ;D

H

·
0 Posts
In response to DTMsurf's story; I can't waste sympathy on those that don't protect themselves. It's Darwinism at it's finest.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
With regard to learning manual shift... I drive a standard transmission car, and (obviously) a standard transmission bike... and it seems to me that it would have been easier to learn how to operate a standard transmission on a bike than a car... Obviously not something with too much power, but when I teach my GF how to drive a stick, I'm going to take her for a ride first, then stick her in a big open parking lot with my little honda 400, or my friends honda 350.

Rip on me if you want :-D this is just how I'm seein' it. The mechanics of a motorcycle seem more natural than a car to me.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Interesting perspective. I believe a car is easier though. You don't have to worry about staying upright!

I learned to drive a manual car when I was about 12. Never owned anytning else. But I don't see how a bike makes the learning any easier.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
You know whats even better than learning on a car or bike? I learned in that old school video game Hard Drivin' that was in the arcades in the late 80's early 90's. If you let the clutch out too quick it would stall, then you turned the key to get it started again. It was just like a real car. But the first real standard tranny I drove was my 80cc kawi dirt bike, that thing was a blast.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
true that you don't have to worry about keeping it upright, but if you're just going in a straight line, you don't really have to think about it that much in a bike either... maybe i'm just crazy, but the way a bike works just makes more sense to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Plenty of squids ride Ducatis too.

Hey I'm a squid and I do ride a ducati. Why does everybody hate squids. We sail the seven seas and protect our country. Haze grey and underway... ;D Can't we call these idiots something else (please)

pato
USN

1 - 20 of 20 Posts