G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a noob to Ducs, not to riding. ;)

Ok, here's what I'm looking at - two '03 M800's:
Dark: $8,550 (black - my favorite)
S: $8,763 (red)

Thats "out the door" pricing.

From what I gather, the S has a fairing, seat cowel, and different rear shock when compared to the dark...so the S seems like the better deal. I could care less about the seat cowl, and probably the shock too. So the question is, how much does that OEM fairing cost? I searched the FAQ and found some for $170ish but I have no idea if thats OEM Ducati. I'm trying to compare apples to apples to make a decision...

Next question. Where can I buy the Termignoli (sorry if I just slaughtered the name) slip ons? I'd like to have a pair waiting for me as soon as I get the bike home.

Thanks in advance guys! Hopefully I'll be joining your ranks soon...

I'm in Houston, TX btw.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Re: Noob needs help making M800 purchasing decisio

Not too sure about fairing price, some variation among sources.

There are a lot of can choices besides Termi's. Sil Motor and Arrow are fairly popular choices. You should also look into "Stratified" cans. Strati is a frequent contributor to this list and has a very attractive alternative in the form of a modified stock can.

Next question.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for the input! I actually browsed the board hard yesterday, including the FAQ. The modified stock cans certainly looked tempting - but I was looking for a quick/easy no brainer option in the Termignolis. That racous sound is a huge part of why I'm buying a Duc in the first place.

As a side note, I spent most of the morning scouring the zillions of "battery" posts. I'll be sure to check that out before taking delivery!

·
Registered
184 Posts

Ken ill send you some pics of my bike a 800 03 dark with sils low mounts when i get home tonight.. ill try and make a small vid for you of the the sound etc and fire it off to you if you like.
Drop me a line and ill reply with the pics and sounds
JP

[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The last time i priced a head fairing,when i bought the bike was 250.00$
I got a givi for 100.00$ less.
Termis' are pricey too,so i went the FBF way.
But i'm sure they are some cheaper and good quality products out there.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

my dark 800 has carbon termi's which cost 570 bucks on ebay. my windscreen cost 120 bucks from a guy here on the board. my seat cowl cost 150 (i think) bucks from a parts guy in england

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

does the "S" come with adjustable forks? that'd be another significant factor vs. the dark.
thanks FB for the plug on the exhaust mod. ken, definately look into other alternatives to termi's. they're REALLY pricey and there are plenty of excellent brands out there to choose from. along with trolling the boards here for info, do some market research on stuff you'll inevitably blowing your retirement money on:
www.motowheels.com
www.spareshack.com
www.ca-cycleworks.com
www.redracingparts.com
www.yoyodyneti.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

No I don't believe so Strati, on the forks that is....and I think the dark does not have an adjustable tie rod to adjust ride height......
If you find a good Termi source let us know.....but I would check with Advanced Motorsports or Ducati Austin perhaps.....

·
Registered
366 Posts

Retro's right. According to my brochure, the M1000 is the only model where the S had adjustable forks and the Dark didn't. for the 800 is really does seem to come down to fairing, seat cowl and rear shock.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts

In addition to the fairing and seat cowl, the S has the ride height adjustment, an aluminum swingarm, and some carbon fiber bits. I think it also has a slightly thicker seat. Based on the feature set, the S is a much better deal. The OEM fairing alone is like $325. I don't want to guess what the aluminun swingarm would set you back.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I think the swingarm and ride height are difeent as well

·
Registered
829 Posts

Please check, but I think the S model got a steel swingarm and lost the fairing in 04.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
There is only one model for '04.

Please check, but I think the S model got a steel swingarm and lost the fairing in 04.
And yes, the 800 has the steel swingarm and no fairing. There is no 800 Dark for '04.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

so what your all saying is that Ducati keeps the different options from one model year to the next consistent right? ;D
;D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts