Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the markit for a Ducati Monster and I a torn between my safe bet of geting a 07 695 or jumping into the s2r 800 I can get a ok deal on a 06 but I like the service plan of the 07s
I am a firm believer in the bike is only as fast as the right hand of the rider and I plain on taking the addvice of my more experienced friends and taking it slow for the first year or so and building on what I learned from MSF class so which bike should I get to become a Ducatist?

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
Good news is that you can't go wrong either way.

I'd buy used though, given that this sounds like it will be your first bike. Many (most?) people drop their first bike, so keep that in mind.

You may find, depending on your riding style etc, that you'll want to move up in a couple of years. In that case, buy a 620 in good shape and keep saving your money towards the bike after your starter bike.

This is not dissing the 620, 695, 750 or 800. I started on a carby 750, so it reflects more of my personal experience.

There are tons of very experienced riders on this board that love their 620 or 750 etc.

Good luck and pictures are mandatory when you do pick one up!

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
The difference between the 2 bikes are less about power and more about looks and suspension. The S2R has that sexy single sided swingarm and a bigger rear tire, whereas the 695 has the older (more classic ;D ) two sided swingarm and a smaller rear tire.

I agree that you should pick up a used bike and save the cash until later unless you just can't bring yourself to buy used. If that's the case, I'd say buy the S2R if you're planning on more sustained high speed riding, like out on the freeway, and the 695 if you're planning on using it to run around town and hit the curves on the weekend.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
ummmmmm..... get a beater ninja 250 or something, take the MSF class, wait six months, then get an '07 S2R. The service plan from the 07 would probably work on the 06s.

or, go ahead and get the 695, mod the hell out of it and be happy with your choice. Do you like the side pipes? or dual low mounts? those cosmetic things might be part of your decision. you can afford to be a bit more ham-fisted with the 695, but neither bike is a slouch. ALL bikes feel fast if you've only driven cars, even fast cars.

why is the 695 a safe bet? Anything you're willing to take care of should be a safe bet. If you're mechanically inclined and willing to learn, either will treat you well. half a day every couple months (ymmv) isn't a very hight price to get exactly what you want.

sorry if that's no help and rambling. glad you're taking the class first, though. you'll learn a lot and feel more confident (and careful) when you really start riding.

seems like we're all singing the same song.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SaRoX said:
Go for the S2R 1000 [thumbsup]
[laugh] that is a bit much for me ever
I have taken the MSF class and I use to use a friends 250 all the time. I am 30 now and my wife( also MSF grad) and I want to get bikes I have loved the Monster ssincethe day I first saw one in the early 90s and have wanted one ever ssince I like what was stated about first timers ddroppingthere bikes I know that this is an uunfortunatefact and no matter what I buy I will be just as up set when this happens but as I am a avid car dork I understand the when you brake ssomethingyou get to upgrade it ;D my biggest fear is cCaliforniadrivers I am from ATL and have lived all over and aside from Portugal Cali drivers are the sscariest
thx for the input keep it coming

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
SaRoX said:
Go for the S2R 1000 [thumbsup]
Werd. I jumped straight in and bought a 900...keep your brain connected to your right wrist and you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Slight powder difference of course but for a new rider a 695 should be heaps. Service plan? I dunno. I think you should decide by how you feel about the looks of the two. The are some stark differences - sss or dss swing arm, larger rear wheel on the S2r, blackened engine casings on the 695, slightly different seat height and totally different exhaust setup, not to mention the different color choices available for each. And try to see as much as you can in the flesh rather than pictures. It's surprising what a difference that makes.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
South Florida drivers are far worse...

I hate this advice: Get a beater...buy used as it sounds like this'll be your first bike. Many (most?) people drop their first bike...

Because it's so frustrating...and so true. I'm a few months ahead of you in the learning curve, and am glad I bought a not too expensive used bike. I haven't dropped it (yet), but I have scratched a couple of things up while working on it. I think that if you desperately want a new Monster, you should get one, but be aware that you will probably ding it up.

Definitely get something...my primary reaction to finishing the MSF course was 'I need a LOT of practice'.

BTW, if you see an S2R in person, you WILL want to buy it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes I agree I realy want the 06 S2R Red with wht stripes and wheels I think I will get one this winter
Thank all of you for your input

:eek:

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
I was off the bike thing for 16 years, and got a 05 s2r as my second bike in life, works great, what sold me was the looks, at that time the only other engine version to chose from with sss was the s4r and I did not like the plumbing. Also when I tried it I felt I would get in to serious trouble with it, with the s2r I would only get in to trouble ;D

if you feel comfortable riding, and can accept the fact that you might crash/drop what have you, go and get what you want. If you can not accept the fact that you might crash/drop what have you, do not buy a bike,....

/H

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Oh, and to parrot others' advice: buy your gear first. You don't want to skimp on the gear because you've used up your budget on the bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree on getting the S2R as your first bike. I took the MSF over the summer, bought the gear, got the license and picked up a shiny red S2R in October. The bike is plenty fast, handles great and is not too much bike. I've taken it on the twisties in SoCal and believe me it is not the bike that limits you in the turns, just lack of ability ::). It is comfortable at freeway speeds or around town. My only complaint is that it should have come with a 14t sprocket, a little bit of chugging at low speeds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts