Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found this forum and it looks like a goldmine of ducati info. I'm looking for my first street bike and I came across two deals that peaked my interest:
1) 1998 750 5k miles for $4k or
2) new 2004 620 for $6.6k

I've read the faq about used vs. new and even read a thread from a few days ago about the differences between a 620, 750 and 800. What I don't know is the value of used bikes. Is the used 98 a good deal at $4k?

I'm leaning towards the used bike since I will most likely drop it and I'll fell better since it is used :) Also, I'll have more money for helmet, jacket, etc. Plus I will eventually like to get a slightly more powerful bike so the more I save upfront the better.

Thanks in advance for any input!

-Lance

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
go with the 750, save the extra doe and use it to trade up after you've spent some time riding.

IMO don't buy new. Let somebody else pay the dealer fees.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Used bikes are usually a much better deal but two things to consider.

1. it is nice being able to break a bike in yourself. Or more importantly to know it was ridden correctly in it's first few thousand miles.
2. There is something to be said for having a Ducati under warranty for two years.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I expect massive flames for this post, but you wanted any input. I'm not so sure a Ducati is a great choice for a first bike. If you have had dirt bikes and have maintained them yourself, then I think you'll be fine.

You can get away with ignoring a Honda or Yamaha, etc, but the Ducs don't like being ignored. YOu need to tend the bike and be up on the maintenance.

These are bikes with major character with all its (character) good AND bad points. If you have to depend on a shop for everything, you are jsut asking to be disappointed. Check this list, you will see the number of people having dealer issues. If you are fortunate to be close to a dedicated, excellent dealer, then count your blessings. I know I do.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Used bikes are usually a much better deal but two things to consider.

1. it is nice being able to break a bike in yourself.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I vote for used also.....the key is finding someone who maintained their bike and has the records, and wants to sell. You'll usually get the benefits of the mods, and usually if things are going to go wrong on the monsters it has happened already. 2 cents....just be sure you can check it over....
oh mine is over three years old never had a warranty issue. I am sure I am not alone. Plus you will prolly be able to sell without losing much and not nearly as much as the first buyer. Should be relatively easy finding
a used one owner bike, well maintained.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I vote for used also.....the key is finding someone who maintained their bike and has the records, and wants to sell. You'll usually get the benefits of the mods, and usually if things are going to go wrong on the monsters it has happened already. 2 cents....just be sure you can check it over....
I forgot to mention the used bike is being sold by a ducati dealer.

If the bike was serviced by an authorized tech would the dealer have access to that information? ie: Do dealers have access to other dealer's service history?

Thanks again for the input.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I would ask the dealer what they know of the history and what have they gone through on the bike, see if you can talk to the original owner...ask about what mods have been done, etc, were the belts and the valves checked, if they don't know, maybe they should check...what do the tires look like, what kind....look for cracks in the cases, etc....see if they will give a week or two to get to know the bike...and if something comes up will they take care of it, or let you trade for something else....it doesn't hurt to ask anything....if it is a good dealer I would think they would have gone through the bike before

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd go for the M750. Its extremely easy to ride, but has enough pep to keep you interested even after your confidence is up. Theres no certainty you'll drop it. It took me 2 years and 3 bikes before I dropped one. ;D

Do the research on the bike your looking at (service records etc) and have a ride before you buy to see if you even like it. To be honest, if you do alot of highway miles/cold weather riding you may even be better off with an SS with the half or full fairing. :-X

Like Retro said, the previous owners care of the bike is the big point. Most M750's will have lived a pretty comfortable life because theres just no point thrashing them.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I expect massive flames for this post, but you wanted any input. I'm not so sure a Ducati is a great choice for a first bike. If you have had dirt bikes and have maintained them yourself, then I think you'll be fine.

You can get away with ignoring a Honda or Yamaha, etc, but the Ducs don't like being ignored. YOu need to tend the bike and be up on the maintenance.

These are bikes with major character with all its (character) good AND bad points. If you have to depend on a shop for everything, you are jsut asking to be disappointed. Check this list, you will see the number of people having dealer issues. If you are fortunate to be close to a dedicated, excellent dealer, then count your blessings. I know I do.
I beg to differ fastbike!
I think that the ducati range now is just as reliable as any jap crap bike. Ive owned 13 different bikes in my life and the all need to be looked after. the ducati needs a dealer service at every 10,000km and most jap bikes need them around 6,000km. Also, the ducati monster is about the easyest bike to ride! especially a 620 or 750.

If the 750 is in good condition, that would be my choice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts