Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies for the long explanation . .

Went to start my 3200 mile, 2009 M696 this morning ( last ridden 5 days ago) for a ride with friends and for the second time in 2 months it would not start. Press the starter and it just clicked, try again, the same. Just that same two months ago and after that time I replaced the battery. The bike lives on a Battery tender so I know in theory the battery was fully charged. After this I reconected the battery tender.

Went for the ride on my trusty '83 Triumph TSX and very nice it was!

When I got back the green light was on signifying the battery is fully charged so I tried again. Just the same.

Left the bike again until the green light came back on, on the tender, and turned the ignition on, switched the dash to show battery voltage. 12.6 . . 12.5 . . 12.4 . . 12.3 as I was watching it the voltage would tick down a tenth of a volt every couple of seconds, and this with the bike just sitting there, admittedly with the headlight on.

Earlier this morning I thought there must be a stray short somewhere, now I think I must have 'another' bad battery.

Can any of the 'experts' here offer any other suggestions before I take the bike half apart to get the battery out and have it tested/replaced?

Thanks to all!

Ian

Don't ask me to define an 'expert' ;-)

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Do you keep the killswitch to the kill position in park. I had odd issues with that. Had a few batteries replaced, both Yuasa and Shorai, do the same thing. I never leave the switch in the kill position when parked now and I have not had any issues. Might be something, might not.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never turned the Kill switch to the Off position, but that's an interesting 'fault'.

The more I think about it the more I'm sure it's the battery. The bigger issue is why after only two months the battery has failed. It wasn't a cheapo brand, I went for a Yuasa.

Just keep replacing parts!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts