Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am in the market for an 09-10 M1100 and was curious if it has a plastic or metal tank. I did a search on here and found the tank on the EVO is plastic but doesn’t have the swelling issues due to a different type of plastic being used. But I also know that the 09-10 1100’s have a different tank (3.96gal vs 3.47), which is why I want the earlier mode (more range). Can someone tell me what the non-EVO tank is made out of and if swelling is an issue?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Plastic! I cant attest to any swelling issues but mines fits the frame and mount points properly unlike my Mille which has to be AIR-DRYED out every winter so it shrinks back into shape

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plastic! I cant attest to any swelling issues but mines fits the frame and mount points properly unlike my Mille which has to be AIR-DRYED out every winter so it shrinks back into shape
Thank you! My Streetfighter had the problematic tank and I just wanted to know if it’s something I need to look out for.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That said, removing the Tank is a complete BAST£$%D of a job because something like 20 bolts have to be removed first! Its not hard, just a PITA if you are used to, well ... any other motorcycle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Both size fuel tanks are made of the same material.
The smaller tanks are fitted to all M5 series Monsters (659/696/796/1100) that have ABS.
The ABS module is fitted beside the battery in a pocket created by re-profiling the bottom of the fuel tank.
If your looking at a non-ABS bike you'll automatically get the larger tank, and vice-versa.

Cheers, Keef.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Both size fuel tanks are made of the same material.
The smaller tanks are fitted to all M5 series Monsters (659/696/796/1100) that have ABS.
The ABS module is fitted beside the battery in a pocket created by re-profiling the bottom of the fuel tank.
If your looking at a non-ABS bike you'll automatically get the larger tank, and vice-versa.

Cheers, Keef.
Interesting...that actually puts EVO’s back on the table if I find one without ABS.

CORRECTION: looking at the parts diagrams it looks like all EVO’s have the same tank.

·
Registered
169 Posts
IDK what everyone is on about with the polymer tanks, I love mine. '09 696 and have never had a fuel tank issue. It keeps the weight much lower on the bike, is very light, and if anything ever goes wrong then a new tank is only about 80 dollars used. Additionally you can replace the fairing shells really quickly and easily, meaning no repaints are required. No need to worry about paint chipping, rust, galvanic corrosion. WAY more benefits than drawbacks IMHO.

Only reason to worry about swelling is if you leave ethanol treated fuel in the tank for months and months. I've also heard of fuel stabilizers reacting with the polymer. So if you winterize your bike like you should be doing anyways then you don't need to worry.

·
Registered
105 Posts
All our Fuel in Germany is either 5 or 10% Ethanol. So it ALWAYS has that in the Tank. I think by 09 they had figured out how make the Tanks Ethanol friendly/tolerant.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello everyone, I am in the market for an 09-10 M1100 and was curious if it has a plastic or metal tank. I did a search on here and found the tank on the EVO is plastic but doesn’t have the swelling issues due to a different type of plastic being used. But I also know that the 09-10 1100’s have a different tank (3.96gal vs 3.47), which is why I want the earlier mode (more range). Can someone tell me what the non-EVO tank is made out of and if swelling is an issue?
I have an '09 M1100S with 30K miles on it. And the tank is still good and fits properly. I live in New England and the bike is parked in winter.
It's not the ethanol that swells the tank, it's the water the ethanol absorbs out of the air that swells the tank when the bike is parked for a time with fuel in the tank. So, when I park it, I siphon the fuel out of the tank. I use a long (8-10 foot) piece of clear 3/8 inch ID tubing that droops down so you can see when the tube is filling and you can stop sucking before you get a mouthful of 93 octane. Then just lower the end into a container and the fuel will flow until the tank is empty. Just make sure to work the tube all the way down to the bottom of the tank. What remains in the bottom has no effect on the tank. No fuel, no water, no swelling.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have an '09 M1100S with 30K miles on it. And the tank is still good and fits properly. I live in New England and the bike is parked in winter.
It's not the ethanol that swells the tank, it's the water the ethanol absorbs out of the air that swells the tank when the bike is parked for a time with fuel in the tank. So, when I park it, I siphon the fuel out of the tank. I use a long (8-10 foot) piece of clear 3/8 inch ID tubing that droops down so you can see when the tube is filling and you can stop sucking before you get a mouthful of 93 octane. Then just lower the end into a container and the fuel will flow until the tank is empty. Just make sure to work the tube all the way down to the bottom of the tank. What remains in the bottom has no effect on the tank. No fuel, no water, no swelling.
Thank you! I live in Florida so I don’t think the bike would ever have a chance to sit long enough for that to be an issue. I appreciate everyone’s comments! Hopefully anyone else thathas this question can find the Answer on this thread.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The tank material on the M1100 is PVC I believe.
If you do get an '09 or '10, may I suggest an AFAM Quick-change rear sprocket kit when it's time for replacement. Rear sprockets are much less expensive than OEM after that. I changed to a 43 tooth rear sprocket and a chain with 2 additional links which adds a whole lot of fun to the ride. This gearing is still good for 138 mph at the rev limiter at 8500 rpm. Which is not bad for a naked un-aerodynamic bike with only 100 HP. See gearingcommander.com

·
Registered
48 Posts
The tank material on the M1100 is PVC I believe.
If you do get an '09 or '10, may I suggest an AFAM Quick-change rear sprocket kit when it's time for replacement. Rear sprockets are much less expensive than OEM after that. I changed to a 43 tooth rear sprocket and a chain with 2 additional links which adds a whole lot of fun to the ride. This gearing is still good for 138 mph at the rev limiter at 8500 rpm. Which is not bad for a naked un-aerodynamic bike with only 100 HP. See gearingcommander.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts