Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your experience? I know they are non adjustable, but I assume someone makes springs for them to stiffen/tune them, and one could adjust oil and valving to compensate.

Any general opinions on these forks?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
I have the same situation. I believe you can replace springs, oil, change the oil level, etc. You may ahve some luck contacting Chris @ cycleworks.

Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
Eric at BCM is a whiz at tweaking (springs, valves, oil) these things for your type of riding. I have tweaked fully adjustable forks on my SS and tweaked non-adjustables on my Monster and they are VERY close with the difference being immaterial for street riding.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
523 Posts
944SSie said:
Eric at BCM is a whiz at tweaking (springs, valves, oil) these things for your type of riding. I have tweaked fully adjustable forks on my SS and tweaked non-adjustables on my Monster and they are VERY close with the difference being immaterial for street riding.
Agreed. I did the same on my '99 750. But once reset, they're still unadjustable. Not a problem if you're the only person riding the bike and you don't plan on selling. But looking for a good used set of adjustable ones might be about the same price when all is said and done. I found a set of fully adjustable Showas for my '99 for $250. The springs/labor/fluids/shipping on my non-adjustable ones was $240. Being able to independently adjust compression and rebound can be very helpful depending on how and where you ride.

In general, the non-adjustable ones are set up for lighter riders, and tend to bottom out and be undersprung for riders over 170-180lbs. It's especially noticeable if you ride aggressively. Joe X
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45,105 Posts
If they are Showas they can be re-valved. If they are Marzocchis only the springs ad oil can be changed. If you are buying forks go for adjustables, then send them to Eric at BCM. Either way, Eric is tops.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
JJGeo said:
Maybe try GP Suspension. http://www.gpsuspension.com/

I've never used them, but have heard good things. I think (hope since I have them) they can improve non-adjustable forks.
GP suspension is great! 170 for a stiffer spring and rebuild for what I did to mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45,105 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,013 Posts
howie said:
They just allow you to adjust prelaod.
After doing a track day, I found that the front would really compress under engine braking and rolling off the throttle. I really want to stiffen it up a bit, but also be able to adjust it. And as mods go, for $180, seems like a lot of bang for your buck, compared to forks off of ebay, and nevermind new.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45,105 Posts
chipazzo said:
After doing a track day, I found that the front would really compress under engine braking and rolling off the throttle. I really want to stiffen it up a bit, but also be able to adjust it. And as mods go, for $180, seems like a lot of bang for your buck, compared to forks off of ebay, and nevermind new.
The same preload adjustment can be achieved with a peice of PVC pipe cut to proper size. Keep in mind adding preload will not correct for a spring too light for you.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
398 Posts
I believe SonicSprings, RaceTech, Traxxion, and HyperPro all make fork springs for the Monster.
A bunch of people I know have the Sonic fork and shock springs and LOVE them. They are also very affordable.
I was looking into getting new springs, but it turns out my fork suspension is perfect for me.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
56 Posts
howie said:
The same preload adjustment can be achieved with a peice of PVC pipe cut to proper size. Keep in mind adding preload will not correct for a spring too light for you.
I find this all intresting, could you explain this a bit more because I was thinking that kit was a good deal also. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45,105 Posts
SSCR said:
I find this all intresting, could you explain this a bit more because I was thinking that kit was a good deal also. Thanks
The DP part you are looking at is just a threaded piece in the cap that screws down against the spring putting pre load on it (squishing it) similar to the pre load adjuster nuts on your shock. It does not allow you to adjust compression and rebound. This preload adjustment can be achieved by making a shim to put under the cap.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top